Author Topic: Post-server move issues  (Read 24719 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Post-server move issues
I don't think it has, but I have some information from Sandwich that might help me fix it.  Will take a look when I get a chance.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The tabs on the top of the site desperately need updating and pruning. Several dead links in the External sites part, and I guess the hosted projects part is a work in progress? Cause if it's not...
Mantis is barely used anymore by the SCP, since most of it seems to have transferred to git, yet there is no link to git in there.
This still needs happening.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've always had my bookmark set to the homepage, and looking at it now gives me a thought: we really need some sort of big prominent blue button to head straight to the forums.  Right now the only indication on the page that we even have a forum is buried under the HLP drop-down listing.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I've always had my bookmark set to the homepage, and looking at it now gives me a thought: we really need some sort of big prominent blue button to head straight to the forums.  Right now the only indication on the page that we even have a forum is buried under the HLP drop-down listing.

The reverse is also true.  Perhaps call it the "Landing Pad" or "Hard Light Central" or something, to take you back to the main non-forum page.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

The reverse is also true.  Perhaps call it the "Landing Pad" or "Hard Light Central" or something, to take you back to the main non-forum page.
I think that will come once the top navbar gets fixed to display on the forums as well.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The tabs on the top of the site desperately need updating and pruning. Several dead links in the External sites part, and I guess the hosted projects part is a work in progress? Cause if it's not...
Mantis is barely used anymore by the SCP, since most of it seems to have transferred to git, yet there is no link to git in there.
This still needs happening.

Thanks for the reminder.  I'll take a look at this, hopefully in the next day or so, otherwise after Thanksgiving.

Regarding the forum's navbar, I've been trying to schedule a session where Sandwich and I can coordinate, but that depends on both of us being available simultaneously.

Quick test post

Right, yeah, that's weird. According to the forum I made that post an hour and a quarter later then I actually did. I can chalk the hour down to timezone related grubbins but not the quarter. It's currently 00:06 here.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just checked; this is due to the server.  The current time is skewed by about 15 minutes.

We'll fix this at some point, but considering all the other stuff on our plate, this will be a low priority.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It looks like Mantis was upgraded with the server move, and new user registration on Mantis was disabled during that process?  No one can find a link to sign up for it.  If that was intentional, I need to request an account be added by an admin for wookieejedi.  If it wasn't intentional, can someone check the value of $g_allow_signup in config_inc.php?  I think that's where the setting would be.  I am not an admin, only manager level, so I can't manually add users it seems.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
If it wasn't intentional, can someone check the value of $g_allow_signup in config_inc.php?  I think that's where the setting would be.  I am not an admin, only manager level, so I can't manually add users it seems.
Setting changed. :)
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Thanks!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:bump:

The top-nav-bars on both the forums and the front page have been updated.  I fixed broken links and pruned some dead entries (like the Game Warden sites and some inactive/deleted ModDB sites).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Under Installing FreeSpace Open, Knossos needs to go in there soon, if not now with a (beta) tag on it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's already there, just disabled.  I initially had it enabled, but then decided to disable it until it's out of beta.

Per discussion on Discord, the developers want to be careful about introducing it to the general public until they're ready.

(FSMods is also there, but disabled, until we complete the migration of the old site to fsmods.hard-light.net.)

So fsmods will come back? Thought it was gone forever-
Q: does it still look like the original FSMods or will it get HLP colors and layout?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It will be back.  We have the internal configuration and all the files that were stored on it.  The difficult part is rebuilding the site and linking all the files to their proper entries.  Chief1983 is working on it when he has time.

Right now we're focusing on just getting the site working.  It is likely that we'll need to install the latest version and use the standard theme, but I'm sure members of HLP could recreate the custom theme for us.

Ah, good to know. :)

Little thing I've found- while viewing the user profiles the signature is (if it's longer) always cut off and the "expand" button is missing. Not really relevant, though.

Is anybody working on the main page? IMO it doesn't seem as professional as HLP is when on the main page mostly short descriptions, 404s and Lorem ipsum can be found.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:40:57 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sandwich is working on a new forum theme, so hopefully the signature issue in the profile will be fixed with that version.

Main page work is being done sporadically.  We could really use additional help generating content: descriptions, flavor, promotions, projects, whatever.  Are you interested? :)

Hmm I don't know if I need to reinvent the wheel for that- with that I mean most things have already been written in the thousands of posts here in a very useful and easy-to-understand way (for example the getting started board), sometimes over and over again. One could gather them and bring them on the main site (maybe a bit edited). For info on hosted projects (as well as for the wiki), I think the best way would be to ask the project heads to do some advertising for their nice things. :)