Author Topic: On the subject of conspiracy silliness (and brilliance in marketing)  (Read 1272 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
On the subject of conspiracy silliness (and brilliance in marketing)
Due to some random Internet connections, I ended up tonight on the Youtube page for Ke$ha's official video for "Die Young."  Don't judge me, it wasn't intentional, I don't actually listen to Ke$ha.  However, the number of YouTube comments about her video being full of Illuminati references did catch my eye, as many of you will know my utter contempt for conspiracy theory.  Now, yes, YouTube is a commentary cesspool but these actually made for some pretty funny reading.

For those who have never seen the video, it's one massive 80s reference full of pentagons, pyramids, all seeing eyes, crosses, and various other references that one can interpret as being directly linkable to Illuminati conspiracy theory.  Which makes artistic sense, since the video itself is a representative of a "cult" that Ke$ha has going in the video  The funny part is the people who watch the video and then accuse all the people pointing out how blatant it is and that it's clearly a gimmick of being "sheep," among other things.

Video is found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOubzHCUt48

A sample of the conspiracy loons:

ThePrincess7575 3 hours ago

Illumanti puppet. U see many signs ppl wake up

canadianuserthe 32 minutes ago

Pure illuminati. YOU wake up.

God bless you buddy.

Time to decide if we are for or against God. This world and environment is falling apart. (globalists and illuminati) Give your life to Jesus and ask Him to forgive your sins. Heaven awaits you.

Angel Salazar 1 hour ago

This **** Is So Illuminanti. And Then She Has The Freemason Uniform. Wow

Conspiracy theorists - a source of never-ending entertainment.  And I have to say, whoever came up with the video concept is a brilliant marketer.  Conspiracy loons just can't let **** go, and attracting them to a video or other piece of media that uses - in part - ad revenue is just brilliant.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: On the subject of conspiracy silliness (and brilliance in marketing)
Kesha is legitimately a very smart person.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Kesha is legitimately a very smart person.

Oh, I know.  I don't care for her musical style, but the girl is brilliant.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

[citation needed]

e: actually that video is p. good citation, request withdrawn
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:04:53 am by PhantomHoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
ju-ju-judge judge boom boom I just wrote a Ke$ha tune

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
ju-ju-judge judge boom boom I just wrote a Ke$ha tune

What you got, swash, is hard to find.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Anyone having conflicted feelings about loving Ke$ha/Gaga/Rihanna songs in spite of their gimmicky-ness and/or lack of musical creativity might enjoy Robyn, who also writes straightforward star-power dance pop material but with significantly more substance. Her dancing is also a step up.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Once in a while, I like to engage conspiracy theorists, too. Chemtrail nuts for example, because I learn from it. When they make a claim, i.e "contrails aren't supposed to last for this long", I can go and research the subject, and learn that, on the contrary, they can. But it gets more complicated -- If you knock down one of their theories, they do not acknowledge that they were wrong and just move on to the next bowl of craziness, and in the end, you're just an NWO shill. I switch to mockery when it devolves to this point -- I am indeed an NWO shill, paid in shekels(Jews are always involved), and by talking to me, they have put their lives in great danger because I now know where they are located.

What makes me sad is that often, these are not people who have bought into just one brand of crazy that you can show them is dubious and then they'll come away enlightened. Nope, crank magnetism prevents it from being that simple.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Once your mind is compromised into accepting the conspiracy theory memeset, recovery is generally a long-term process.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Reminds me of how the likes of Jack Thompson and other somewhat inept 'moral activists' have done more to promote the existence and sales of high-levels of gore and sexual content by providing free advertising than any other people. It's an old trick, so old, in fact that I actually get more annoyed at the people who fall for it than the people who try to use it in the first place.