Author Topic: Release: 3.7.2 RC4  (Read 19148 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
means you have the same issue in all likelihood, Debug builds seem to be immune to the issue iirc

Not completely.  On my machine (when using NVIDIA) it crashes on debug.  I've uploaded several logs to the Mantis ticket.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
As for the bug mentioned, I sometimes get the crashes too, but much more less. (with normal build).

The issue appears to have something to do with FS2 using integrated Intel Graphics in cooperation with Nvidia graphic cart... I mean, when I posted debug build log, it shown only Intel Graphics Drivers used, but in fact, my Nvidia software was sure that it was running FS at the same time...

Maybe try other shadow settings as well, that helped me bit here too.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

My intel graphics is deactivated in the Bios of the motherboard and don't even appears under "system-->graphic cards" or Aida64. Also in my FS2 log, only nvidia gtx660 is mentionned ("OpenGL Renderer  : GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2  OpenGL Version   : 4.4.0 NVIDIA 344.75")

Another thing I've noted if it can be useful is that I don't crash if the point of origin of the beam is not on my field of view (ie I can look at the beam without crashing as long as the origin isn't in view, but as soon as I turn my ship and look in the direction of the ship firing the beam, the game crash).

Question:
Is the 3.7.2 RC4 release supposed to be stuck in a single, unchangeable resolution, or is that the fault of the wxLauncher (since the normal Launcher is just crashing without opening)?

I tried using 3.7.1 (AVX BP), and that works fine without being stuck in that apparently 4:3 resolution.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Question:
Is the 3.7.2 RC4 release supposed to be stuck in a single, unchangeable resolution, or is that the fault of the wxLauncher (since the normal Launcher is just crashing without opening)?

I tried using 3.7.1 (AVX BP), and that works fine without being stuck in that apparently 4:3 resolution.
That's a feature, not a bug.

Try adding -stretch_menu to your command line.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I knew this would happen. I (and a few other sane minds) told you guys.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Question:

That's a feature, not a bug.

Try adding -stretch_menu to your command line.

I see...
Seems silly.

I don't really understand why a resolution that should fill the screen normally would need to be stretched, but I'll give that a try.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The menus have a fixed size (1024x768). 3.7.0 and older versions of FSO stretched these menus to fill the screen by default. This was less than ideal for people with multi-monitor setups, so it was changed to not stretch by default, but with the option to do so for people who preferred the old way. Hence the command-line option.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

The menus have a fixed size (1024x768). 3.7.0 and older versions of FSO stretched these menus to fill the screen by default. This was less than ideal for people with multi-monitor setups, so it was changed to not stretch by default, but with the option to do so for people who preferred the old way. Hence the command-line option.

Ah, that makes sense.
Sounds like a leftover annoyance from the retail version (the fixed size).
(Well, I know the retail version would fill the screen; I guess through stretching)

Anyway, I wouldn't have known how to get that issue fixed without asking around, probably, and it did solve my issue with the game.
So, thanks for the assist.