Author Topic: new bulk freighter  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Limbert

making a new bulk freighter model for the mod. I've been following this mod for a while and i thought i would contribute while getting back into modeling.

I've never done any FSO stuff so I'm not sure how to format the model and texture files. Also, is 14.5k triangles ok?
edit:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:21:37 pm by Limbert »

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
making a new bulk freighter model for the mod. I've been following this mod for a while and i thought i would contribute while getting back into modeling.

I've never done any FSO stuff so I'm not sure how to format the model and texture files. Also, is 14.5k triangles ok?

First, welcome to HLP as an official forum member!

Thanks for your enthusiasm and offer to help model! We are always happy to talk with interested modelers about submissions, and your work looks very nice. We do also have a need for a Gallo-free transport (ie Rebel Transport), so if you were interested in possibly assisting with that model we would be happy to discuss more details for that as well. Feel free to ask on our Discord channel also: https://discord.gg/W3vGft!

As for modelling for FSO there are some good guides written on the modding sub-forum, and you can always ask in the Discord channel, too. Here is a good starting post http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,37158.0.html. Also, are you comfortable doing textures for any models you make?

Thanks again for your interest! We look forward to talking with you more.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:26:21 pm by wookieejedi »

Offline Limbert

Glad to help. I've been working on the texture for the past few days, hoping to finish it soon. I will post it.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Glad to help. I've been working on the texture for the past few days, hoping to finish it soon. I will post it.

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it, and hopefully talking more! And again, feel free to PM me on Discord or post the shots in our #fotg subchannel in the HLP Discord channel!

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The guide linked above is pretty good. I'd say 14.5 tris is perfectly fine; it seems quite a lot for a ship of that shape, but we can just have the first LOD distance be short so it's not like that causes a performance problem as such.

If you want, you may want to consider modelling and texturing the cargo containers as separate objects so that they can optionally be removed/destroyed/undocked/etc. It's by no means required, but if you'd like to see that capability then I'm sure it'd be welcome.

I do pretty much all the model rigging as well as LODding, and for that I will eventually need the model in a format I can import into 3ds Max. Although if you do want to do at least some of the LODding yourself, I certainly don't mind and can give you some tips and guidelines for that when that time comes.

Offline Limbert

im reading that guide, it's a lot to take in. it would be pretty easy to make the cargo containers separate, except that i already uv mapped them together. I think i could cut it up, i made the texture in a 4096 square so i could scale it down. I'd like to make destroyed pieces too.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Thanks for coming and posting here, it looks super promising so far!  I'll cast my vote for definitely wanting the containers to be separate objects.  Keep it up, and welcome!

Offline zookeeper

Oh, the textured version's looking great.

As for the containers, you can keep your current UV layout, they don't need to be on a separate texture.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That's fantastic, thank you all for your efforts. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

First post and immediatly awesome! :yes:

Offline Limbert

As for the containers, you can keep your current UV layout, they don't need to be on a separate texture.
Oh, that's great.  :yes:

Should I flatten those docking socket things? Each one costs about 200 triangles and if I make the containers separate there will be 16 more of them present.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:16:45 pm by Limbert »

Offline zookeeper

Should I flatten those docking socket things? Each one costs about 200 triangles and if I make the containers separate there will be 16 more of them present.

Well, sure. 200 triangles for one socket recession is a lot, seeing that it's really pretty minor detail and 99.99% of the time you're seeing the ship from way further away than in your screenshot. If you want some actual depth, just making them 8-sided recessions (22 tris) would seem like a reasonable alternative.

Anyway, I must say the texturing looks remarkably neat and sharp.