Author Topic: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?  (Read 64543 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
I say that is absolute bull****! There is no way in hell the GTVA would stop buildin collies because of that! If you wanna go that way then how about we retire and stop building Hecates Deimos Orions....etc. since the GTVA lost a lot more of those!

Also has anyone considered the fact that the GTVA might of built or started building another Collie after the first one was done or imediately after the start of construction of the first Collie!

Also the collie was in so many ways superior to the Sath it makes the Sath look like a bad joke! The collie was truely a masterpiece of engeniering! sure they could of done a better job with its reactors but nevertheless it was superb! What was not superb was the fact that the Collie did not have beams equal or at least close in power to those of the Sath!

with beams that powerfull...i have just one thing to say....."80 + juggs have taken position around the capella sun.."

GTDStupidity(Read GTD Hecate class that gets in front of the Sath)"Command we have just reached Capella er......where did you say those sath were ...? all we read is a whole lot of debries fields"

I mean the Collie could bring to bear about 1 dozen heavy beams Imagine if they were even at 80% power as those BFReds.....ownage ppl ownage....!

also if every warship had a kill score board like that of the collie then i see the GTVA kicking the shivan er.......legs since i dont think they have asses..do they??
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The Colossus (Not Colli) was weaker.The Sathanas did 4 damage with 1 BFred.The BFreds fired every 5 seconds.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You dont get it ! The achilies heal for the GTVA is not that its ships are weaker design wise when compared to the shivan one in fact almost all of the GTVA warships are better design wise then the shivan ones! The problem is that the GTVA does not have any real beam cannons that can compare to the shivan ones! If they had beams even a 80% the power of those BFReds then the Colossu would have won hands down even if it had to engage up to 4 sdath at a time! Remember the GTVA has a longer range in its meabs then the shivans!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Hades

4 Sathanas' would Desamate A Colossus with beams 80% as strong.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I wonder why nobody on the Colossus used escape pods :confused:

They were damaged, and you don't need your whole crew fora heroic last stand. Petachs evacuated most of his crew from the Aquitaince, so why were the Colosuss officers so utterly stupid?

A collie with all BFGReens woudl really be somthin allright :nod:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I give up.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE KILLED WHEN IT WENT DOWN!!!?!?!??!?!?!????!!???!?!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Lots. Many of probably the most elite people died on the Colossus. This is a bad thing. The Colossus is a symbol of death and a grim reminder of the Second Shivan War.

Okay, seriously, I don't know what kind of spin doctors you hire, but they really suck.

*ahem*

In an event we remember with great sadness, the GTVA Colossus perished under the overwhelming might of the Second Shivan Incursion. But today, we prove we can move beyond that. The GTVA (umm...) Hyperion will once more be a shining symbol of Terran-Vasudan goodwill, peace, and combined might. Like its forebear, the Hyperion will represent the union of our peoples, a union that can resist the Shivans.

There, how's that?
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Well, I guess all the men and women on the Collie were the best of the best so they felt dying with their ship would make them twice as heroic. But really, I really wished the Collie would have rammed that Sathanas. It would have been so much more epic.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Are you sure that they were the best of the best? I know, it may seem logic...but were all members of the crew "the best of the best"? The Colossus should have been an SOC warship, then.

Keep in mind that it was a secret project, so:

1) The very elite crewmen of the GTVA were secretly reassigned to it;

2) Assigning 30,000 people to a warship without making someone suspicious would have been difficult;

The Colossus was quickly dispatched against the NTF first and the Shivans then, we can't be sure of the fact that more enlisted personnel was transfered after "The Sixth Wonder".

Basically...the GTVA lost thousands of excellent crewmen, not actually the best 30,000 crewmen of the GTVA. And what about the fighter wings? Should the player have been transfered to the Colossus? No! The very elite squadron was the Blue Lions, and it was based on the Aquitaine!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
They shouldn't even bother building capital ships, I can think of four solutions that are far more effective.

Massive fleets made of nothing but bombers:

It's always bothered me how easily a capital ship can be taken down by bombers, but that's the way the ball bounces. Send 100 bombers at a sathanas from behind, 'nough said.

Unmanned missile warfare:

Take a meson bomb or something stronger, and put two separate engines on it. One engine is used to warp into a system, the other to make an intra-system jump. Send a dozen of them at a capital ship, and you've won the day.

Junk/Asteroid warfare:

Collect the debris of old capital ships, place a massive engine on the back, and ram away.

Dyson Sphere-ish defense:

Create a perfect sphere that can be placed over a jump node, anything warping in will be destroyed instantly.

------

As far as the whole "but the Shivans were doing this" argument goes.... We have no knowledge of their society. Any attempt to understand such an unusual species is doomed to failure.

------

Quote from: Snail
Think of it like 9/11. Why haven't the US built another World Trade Center at that spot? It would carry too many bad memories.

Firstly, construction in the United States has gone at a ridiculously slow pace since the '60s or so.

Secondly, http://www.projectrebirth.org/about/index.html

Offline Hammer of HLP 0wnage

• Wham! Bam! Thank you, ma'am!
* /me taps hammer...

Offline Hades

Uhh oh... :shaking:
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
he's back.

and we are back on topic.

would the GTVA build a new collosus, or build a small collosus with 3 times the turrets?

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Hades

Fs2 cannot support a Colossus with 189 turrets. :P
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
thats what we have the SCP for.

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Hades

With SCP it can only support 100 turrets.
Off topic AGAIN.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
the SCP would burst into the GTVA, raise max turrets too 500, and have a team of modelers come in and build the tiny-collosus-with-189 turrets. problem solved  :p

Offline Hades

Why would they make a weaker smaller Colossus (Which I know you mean yours) Than a bigger more HP Colossus.We don't want a second Colossus at this time, we want a HTL Colossus. :P
BTW If it is a Colossus MK2 it will be the same size if not bigger. :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 02:57:50 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ha hem, we're talking about a realistic environment. No Alpha 1 owns all jokes, no Command is stupid jokes...and no model upgrade of the Colossus jokes.

Hey! Goober's second account! :lol:

Massive fleets made of nothing but bombers:

It's always bothered me how easily a capital ship can be taken down by bombers, but that's the way the ball bounces. Send 100 bombers at a sathanas from behind, 'nough said.

This concept is valid only ingame. A massive ship is much better. And the Sathanas has hundreds of fighters.

Another Colossus would have probably been built.

Why would they make a weaker smaller Colossus (Which I know you mean yours) Than a bigger more HP Colossus.We don't want a second Colossus at this time, we want a HTL Colossus. :P
BTW If it is a Colossus MK2 it will be the same size if not bigger. :P

Stop spamming, please! There's the Hammer lurking around...and this thread is a very good one!  :hopping:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Kie99

Dyson Sphere-ish defense:

Create a perfect sphere that can be placed over a jump node, anything warping in will be destroyed instantly.

That's actually a brilliant idea, would make for a **** game though.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"