Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 135472 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Having honestly no clue about your constitution, I'm asking genuinely if there any clause where he can get binned for just being bloody bad.

Nnnnnnope, at least not in the way you're thinking.  The 25th Amendment has a section addresses a method whereby the vice-president and majority of the Cabinet can declare their belief that the president is incapable of executing the duties of office.  (The section before it gives a method for the president to do the same, i.e. before undergoing anesthesia for surgery.)  If this were to occur, a series of steps is laid out which potentially culminates in both the House and Senate needing a two-thirds majority vote in order to confirm it.  Were they to do so, then the vice-president would effectively serve as acting president until the current term is up and elections are held.  Needless to say, as much as "invoke the 25th" has become a popular hashtag, there's a snowball's chance in hell of it actually happening: the vice-president and Cabinet are sycophantic boot-lickers to a man, and even if they did have a shred of moral fiber, Republicans control the Senate and have more than a 1/3 minority in the House.  Basically, no matter how ****ty a president is doing, we're essentially stuck with them through the current four-year cycle.

Now, if you're talking about a president doing something flat-out illegal, obviously there's the separate process of impeachment, but, well, we all saw how that played out.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Having honestly no clue about your constitution, I'm asking genuinely if there any clause where he can get binned for just being bloody bad.

Nnnnnnope, at least not in the way you're thinking.  The 25th Amendment has a section addresses a method whereby the vice-president and majority of the Cabinet can declare their belief that the president is incapable of executing the duties of office.  (The section before it gives a method for the president to do the same, i.e. before undergoing anesthesia for surgery.)  If this were to occur, a series of steps is laid out which potentially culminates in both the House and Senate needing a two-thirds majority vote in order to confirm it.  Were they to do so, then the vice-president would effectively serve as acting president until the current term is up and elections are held.  Needless to say, as much as "invoke the 25th" has become a popular hashtag, there's a snowball's chance in hell of it actually happening: the vice-president and Cabinet are sycophantic boot-lickers to a man, and even if they did have a shred of moral fiber, Republicans control the Senate and have more than a 1/3 minority in the House.  Basically, no matter how ****ty a president is doing, we're essentially stuck with them through the current four-year cycle.

Now, if you're talking about a president doing something flat-out illegal, obviously there's the separate process of impeachment, but, well, we all saw how that played out.

Come on guys, revolution made your country.  Just a wee uprising long enough to stave his head in then back to normal business please? :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Because, Dekker, much like your own Lunatic-in-Chief, there is a HUGE swath of the population that actually believe him.

No matter how many times you tell yourself, "C'mon, no one can be THAT stupid," the fact is that despite everything he's done that flies in the face of any common sense, that is amoral, unethical, unnecessarily cruel, that has hurt the very people who claim he's their savior, despite Coronavirus, despite heading into an economic crash the likes of which we've not seen in my lifetime, despite all of the prevention he completely FAILED TO DO, there's still better than an outside chance he'll win again in November.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Plus, they have most of the guns (in civilian hands, anyway).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Partner making us masks at home. She's volunteered to sew medical gowns, but this will require a long trip to a pickup point for the materials, and we're not going to risk the subway and all its fomites.

Yeah, subway sounds like second only to a hospital for infectiousness.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Yeah, subway sounds like second only to a hospital for infectiousness.

Do grocery stores get third place? :nervous:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
No, I think schools, churches, games, cinemas and stuff like that share the third place. Or actually rank higher than hospitals.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Don't worry, everyone! The White House estimates that at minimum we'll only lose 1 out of every 3000 Americans. That's not a very big number! Most of us only know about 600 people.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Only in a timeline as f*cked up as this one could the President* of the United States declare a death toll from a virus two to four times deadlier than the entire Vietnam War a "win."

I f*cking hate the Trump cult and everyone still in it. GOP delenda est.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Only in a timeline as f*cked up as this one could the President* of the United States declare a death toll from a virus two to four times deadlier than the entire Vietnam War a "win."

I f*cking hate the Trump cult and everyone still in it. GOP delenda est.

"delendus" is more appropriate I think.

EDIT

Or perhaps "delendum"? It's kind of difficult to tell.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:18:53 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I really hope you are right, but I don't think you are.  There are a lot of Republicans thoroughly disgusted with Trump, but only because he's a dunderheaded lummox, not because they have in any way internalized that the policies he and his party espouses are leading the human race right off the edge of a cliff.  Unless this crisis forces them to come to grips with THAT...
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
An interesting look at media in times of crisis

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Right before social distancing became all but mandatory, I had my brother and <5 friends over for pizza and watching Contagion. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but low-key made me anxious. Aside from the extremely high mortality rate of that bug, it's eerie how parallel that movie is to real life right now, even down to being a virus in the SARS family.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
small brain: Coronavirus is serious

large brain: Coronavirus requires immediate response

star brain: Coronavirus is a chinese plot

galaxy brain: Can't have any 'rona outbreaks if noone is allowed to talk about it
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Out of the 50 states, Florida has the 5th highest median age, and currently has the 5th highest number of confirmed cases... and we're one of the 18 states that still haven't shut down.

Maybe we won't rank 5th in median age when this is over.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Think of all that new real estate on the market 👍👍

#armyhumour #apologiesinadvance
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
What real estate? There's no ****ing housing market in the US.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Best get schmoozing those old dears to get written into some wills. 👵👵👍👍😍
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.