Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 135870 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Criminal negligence 101. But I'm sure we can also blame the CCP about this. Or the Libs. Or Pelosi, somehow (apparently, the IDW is tasked of doing this).

No, we agreed at the last reptilian world leadership retreat that that task would be delegated to CNN.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Y'all keep talking about these retreats but I'm never invited :(

Soros never calls either  :(

Mito, the US presidency has the power to appoint public officials. So each and every position in the US government can be filled or changed by the will of the US presidency. A lot of the people you see in leadership positions in the federal government right now are Trump picks. It's not uncommon for any presidency to do this, mind, although Trump is unique in that he has often chosen not to fill in positions of people who resigned or were sacked. The short version is that Trump picks who serves under him. With great power comes great responsibility.

Perhaps more importantly, Trump and Pence are also the people who were voted in to have these powers. The buck would already stop with the President either way, but he's especially important becuase the President primarily answers to the people, whilst the President's appointees answer to, well, the President directly and the people indirectly. If you as a US resident (for some bizarre reason) dislike Anthony Fauci you can't vote him out, you have to vote for a president that promises to replace him.

This discussion reminds me of some cases of immigrants being kicked out of the US during Obama's presidency, or having procedures leading to it mostly completed during Obama's presidency and finished by Trump administration. Then they're causing a big ruckus in the television and internet about how "evil Trump has ilegally kicked them out of the US", to the standing ovations of every piece of anti-Trump audience.

there's a thread on here about immigration policy

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Update on current situation in Slovakia (population 5,5 million): 17,693 tested, 581 infected, 13 cured, 2 dead. Still no clear evidence of community spread. As of this morning we have a general ban on going outside, until Easter is over. Exceptions are for essential business employees going to/from work, people going to buy food/essential items, visiting a doctor and going on a trip into nature (must be inside your county and practicing social distancing). Wearing a mask outside is compulsory. Police are stationed on major intersections and county borders, checking cars, resulting in big traffic jams.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:43:26 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Also, Trump did reduce traffic coming in from China ... long after the virus had already reached the US.

You know what's funny. No one ever talks about how effective that ban was. How many people do you think travelled to the US in February and March from China AFTER the ban was instituted? A couple of hundred people? Maybe a thousand?

Try 40,000! 40,000 people who were in China during the virus outbreak have flown to the US in the last two months despite the supposed ban on travel. Now admittedly that is a reduction from the number travelling in January. But if 40,000 people came from China into the US, virtually unscreened, let's not allow anyone to claim that this did very much to halt coronavirus at all. Especially when it was after the virus was already in the country, as you said.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The thing that's really disturbing about jr2 is that he still doesn't give a **** about the disease. He's never managed to make the leap to talking about the pandemic as a serious issue. All he cares about is whether Trump did good or bad and what the liberals think about it.

#FakeNews, I pretty much only try to counter what I view as egregious bias (aka TDS).  The tipping point was the comment that the US was handling this worse than Iran.  You (the people that are lunatic enough to believe that kind of tripe just because Orange Man Bad) can **** right off with that load of bull****.  FFS you've got George Conway defending Trump sometimes now.  Never Trumpers.  Defending Trump.  Be better FFS (to the TDS infected in general).

EDIT:  And just for your information Batts, I follow Styxhexenhammer666 on Youtube.  He's been treating this as a serious issue since what, January?  Early February at the least.  K, just checked, January 18:

You are still talking about Trump and the media. Who was right, who was wrong, who made the right posts on the right dates. Who said Trump was good or bad. Who scored the most points. All you seem to care about is the game of perception.

There are more people dead in my hometown than in all of Iran.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In reply to an accusation that you don’t think or care about the disease, you talked about Trump Derangement Syndrome, George Conway, and a YouTube channel.

You worm.

EDIT:  And just for your information Batts, I follow Styxhexenhammer666 on Youtube.  He's been treating this as a serious issue since what, January?  Early February at the least.

I legit have no idea who this guy is, but if I'd follow some dude called "Styxhexenhammer666" I'd rather expect him to give reviews about heavy metal albums then reliable news about a dangerous virus.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
He follows the right YouTube channel. My father is infected, my mother is infected, she got it from him, he got it from his student in a little college in a little town. A man on YouTube said it was a big problem. There is no more room in the morgues so the dead are stacked in trucks. China faked the numbers. The economy has to be saved. The important thing is to assure ourselves that Trump did everything possible. Only sixty thousand will die. No great loss.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sorry to hear that Battuta. I'm sure I speak for all of HLP in saying that our thoughts are with you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Also, Trump did reduce traffic coming in from China ... long after the virus had already reached the US.

You know what's funny. No one ever talks about how effective that ban was. How many people do you think travelled to the US in February and March from China AFTER the ban was instituted? A couple of hundred people? Maybe a thousand?

Try 40,000! 40,000 people who were in China during the virus outbreak have flown to the US in the last two months despite the supposed ban on travel. Now admittedly that is a reduction from the number travelling in January. But if 40,000 people came from China into the US, virtually unscreened, let's not allow anyone to claim that this did very much to halt coronavirus at all. Especially when it was after the virus was already in the country, as you said.

I mean, it was super obvious from the get go that the announcement was only to give the impression of having done something rather then actually doing something. See also: That other speech where Trump's administration had to completely contradict what Trump himself had said minutes earlier.

Everyone else is stuck in an echo chamber, says person whose primary source of news on the coronavirus is an alt-right youtuber.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
He follows the right YouTube channel. My father is infected, my mother is infected, she got it from him, he got it from his student in a little college in a little town. A man on YouTube said it was a big problem. There is no more room in the morgues so the dead are stacked in trucks. China faked the numbers. The economy has to be saved. The important thing is to assure ourselves that Trump did everything possible. Only sixty thousand will die. No great loss.

This right here echoes my sentiments entirely. It hasn't hit Kansas City hard yet, but it's coming.

Oh by the way, my wife's a nurse with more than 10 years experience. So when it gets bad here, she will be bedside. Did I mention she's pregnant with our fourth kid? Yeah. I'm super glad the economy is top priority and that my pregnant wife's life is fair game to risk.

On the bright side, MO/KS are generally red states, so I guess that means Trump will send the supplies we need.  :doubt:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

One death is a tragedy.  One hundred thousand deaths is the CCP's fault.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Everyone else is stuck in an echo chamber, says person whose primary source of news on the coronavirus is an alt-right youtuber.

When you think about it aren't we still picking up echoes of the Big Bang?? Which just proves reality is the biggest echo chamber of them all???

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
<snip quotes>
There are more people dead in my hometown than in all of Iran.

Wow. I hope you're safe and your loved ones heal well. I wish you and the people of your town lots of strength when the time to rebuild comes. 
Potato!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Yeah, I finally looked this guy up because some alt-right jackass has been spamming his **** for weeks on another forum I visit, and goddamn he's a piece of ****.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
What kind of content would you expect someone who doesn't give a **** about human life unless it's a Republican to like?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
if they are leftist.

Any credibility you might have at all just evaporated with these four words.  This has nothing to do with political ideology.  By EVERY OBJECTIVE MEASURE, the American federal government has failed in its response to this pandemic and made the situation in the United States far worse than it needed to be.  The United States had the highest pandemic preparedness rating in the world going into this, and has fared demonstrably worse than every other first-world democracy whose data we can trust.  It might actually be doing worse than China, which you keep harping on, although for obvious reasons the Chinese data is untrustworthy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:44:26 am by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]