Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134691 times)

Offline starlord

Hopefully this guy doesn’t have kids.

Even more hopefully this guy doesn’t have sick kids.

Joshua, as an example: if I told you to go stay underwater indefinitely and that said action would not impair your continued ability to breathe, would you?

if I trusted you more then I trusted myself?

Yes.

Off course that might not be entirely fair. I live in a mental health clinic for a reason. I am, if nothing else, a vulnerable person.

Doesn't make it okay.

Offline starlord

See, that’s what education is for:

You will trust a medical doctor over your own assessment regarding your health because said doctor has experience and knowledge in the form of an MD.

What qualifications has trump produced that allows him to come to the glorious conclusion that we should all be injected with detergent?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:31:23 pm by starlord »

He is the president of the united states.

Offline starlord

That is not a qualification.

He possesses no MD, or Health oriented PhD or MSc or even bachelor.

Therefore he cannot make any statement on anything health related.

Despite his status as president of the United States, trump possesses no qualifications in that field and is therefore unknowledgeable and ignorant.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:29:40 pm by starlord »

It's difficult to overstate how quickly political norms in the US have collapsed since the Obama administration. This started with Mitch McConnel and his party just "deciding" to break with tradition and not begin the confirmation process for Obama's pick for the Supreme Court. You know, like a normal sane government would. There's supposed to be compromise, there's supposed to be interest in the common good. It was never perfect, but there's a ton of gentlemen's agreements in the Constitution that aren't "laws" but are supposed to be respected.
Now the Senate is acting like the Mafia for the Executive branch, which is the exact opposite of the conceptual job of the Senate!
So you are correct in that more people than Trump are at fault. He's just a figure head at this point, the Emperor's advisors who proclaim that the Emperor's newest robes are the finest in the realm when he's stark naked are more at fault.
And keep in mind, Trump never actually expected to win. He won off of general resentment of real economic concerns, a fantastically unpopular democratic rival, and the Republican party CAN'T get rid of him in a pure power calculus without admitting they were wrong. So whenever he gutter dives even deeper, they have no choice but to follow him lower.
All it takes is a look back to see how many Republics switched flags from, "God this guy is an idiot," before the election, to "HAIL CAESAR!" afterwards. Because a large part of the base loves Trump's image, as crass as it is.
Much now like now how there's a curious number of Republicans who believe now that Iraq was a "mistake" and yet those same voices were *somehow* nowhere to be heard during the lead up to the actual invasion...
They'll turn on Trump eventually, they always do. It's just a question of how much damage gets done until then.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:14:34 pm by manwiththemachinegun »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Never trust a leader just because they hold the rank.  Following orders safely and trust are two different things....   Trump didn't get to where he is on his own merits,  he got over 400 million from his father's buainess interests and that's just one of the leg ups he had.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I am aware of that fact. Not everyone is. Hell, Trump seems to think that him having the presidency gives him all the authority in the world - wouldn't doubt that the people who only get the propaganda don't think differently.

Trump now saying that it "was a joke" makes this whole thing worse in two ways: First, it undercuts Breitbart pushing the "He didn't actually say that" shtick.

Secondly it ignores that people do take him literally. I totally agree with you that people really shouldn't be hanging off his lips like they do, and we could discuss for days why people do that. But that doesn't change the fact that they do. Hell, Trump is fully aware of this fact: See also his quote about being able to shoot people and get away with it becuase his supporters love him so much. He is aware that people take him literally and trust him implicitly. And hell, all the nationalism that people are being spoonfed with since birth is creating a system where people are trained to implicitly trust "their" government.

Or to put it succinctly: I question how much personal responsibilty victims of indoctrination can really have.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's also a brewing issue here where Trump thinks he can supersede State Governeror stay-at-home orders just because he's the president when the American Constitution explicitly says otherwise. So of course there are reports of Trump looking at using the justice department and suing states into cooperation.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:00:16 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
There's also a brewing issue here where Trump thinks he can supersede State Governeror stay-at-home orders just because he's the president when the American Constitution explicitly says otherwise. So of course there are reports of Trump looking at using the justice department and suing states into cooperation.

Which is one of the things that scares me now and will become truly terrifying if Drumpf get reelected because of all the judges and justices he and McConnell are appointing and will continue to appoint if Drumpf stays in office past Jan 20, 2021. Stare decisis (a.k.a. precedent) doesn't matter to those guys, they'll just keep making decisions favoring the Republican Party's interests no matter what the Constitution says. Bad enough that McConnell got all those unqualified rightwingers to the judiciary that will be there for at least a generation. If Drumpf gets reelected and has four more years to pervert the judiciary even further? Forget it, America will stay a fascist state for at least 2 generations.

And all of this was completely foreseeable in 2016, which is why I'll never forgive any member of the left who didn't bother to vote for Hillary because they couldn't be bothered to care about this very issue. If you want to make lasting social change, you need the courts on your side. Otherwise, travesties of justice like Dred Scott or Korematsu will become the norm. :hopping: :mad: :mad2: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:07:58 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Kim Jon Ung....... Buh-bye.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

He's almost certainly not dead and probably not that ill. Beware of wishful thinking.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dysko

In Italy several regions have been consistently reporting a very low number of new daily cases for few days, and the number of people in ICUs is decreasing steadily.
Situation in Lombardy is still not good however, as we are still getting ~1000 new official cases per day... and those numbers are pretty unreilable as per an article I shared some pages ago. As a further confirmation of that, I discovered that, out of 10 families living in my apartment block, 4 of them had symptomatic COVID cases, with only one woman being officially counted in the statistics due to having done a swab. Fortunately all of them have already recovered, but it still freaks me out to discover that I had so many COVID cases living literally next door  :shaking:
Including friends and colleagues, I personally know ~30 people who caught the disease, with only the woman I mentioned before being counted as an official case.

Today the Bergamo province released an estimate based on a form filled daily on a volunteer basis reporting symptoms since the start of the outbreak. Based on such data, they estimated that 35% of the province population caught the virus, meaning 381'000 cases in this province alone... many more cases than all the ones officially reported in the whole country!

Premier Conte has just finished a conference about the end of the lockdown. On 4th May also some industries that are not part of the food & beverage supply chain will be allowed to open, provided they can ensure workers safety (which I fear will not happen in smaller companies, as they know that it will be difficult to control every company). It will also be possible to travel again between towns, but not between regions (as before, work and health issues are an exception to travel restrictions). Many restriction will still be in place however.

Still, our NHS is not ready yet for the inevitable 2nd contagion wave, which I fear will happen earlier than forecast since we Italians are not really good at following rules :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:31:18 pm by Dysko »
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Positive article about my country:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-28/european-nation-with-least-virus-deaths-proves-speed-is-key

As the coronavirus continues to kill thousands of people a day across Europe, one country stands out for keeping its death toll low.

Slovakia, a landlocked country of 5.5 million, closed its schools, shops and borders earlier than any other country after Italy. Meanwhile, politicians and TV anchors embraced face masks even before the government made them mandatory.

The measures bore fruit: Six weeks after the first reported infection, Slovakia has just 18 fatalities and is bottom of the European list of deaths per capita, according to data compiled by John Hopkins University as of April 26.

We have only a handful new cases per day over the last week. I think we may actually be entering the next phase of this epidemic, as shown in east Asian countries: almost no new domestic cases and most new ones would be imported from abroad. Hence why maintaining strict migration restrictions and mandatory quarantine for travellers will remain crucial as we gradualy open up the economy.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
More positive news:
When looking at the number of deaths in a country, we usually assume that the number of deaths due to covid-19 is smaller than the actual number of deaths due to lack of testing or people dying as a result of overworked health care personnel or lack of ressources.
For my home state of Northrhine-Westphalia, at least up to mid-March, we can confidently state that there is no significantly raised mortality.

So, as it turns out, all those statements about covid-19 being about as dangerous as the flu? Actually true! If, that is, you shut down pretty much all public life, make sure that hospitals are well-stocked and staff well-trained.

It must be pointed out of course that at present, only about 200 people die each day due to COVID-19 around here. Given that, in normal years, about ten times that number die from various other causes, COVID-19 will still be responsible for a significant amount of death and suffering that could still have been avoided if we had acted quicker.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

So, as it turns out, all those statements about covid-19 being about as dangerous as the flu? Actually true! If, that is, you shut down pretty much all public life, make sure that hospitals are well-stocked and staff well-trained.

Sooooo

Not actually true right? Or is my sarcasm detector failing?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The "actually true" should be read as dripping with the thickest, juiciest of sarcasm
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

the lion is indeed no more dangerous than a kitten when securely enclosed in a steel cage, i don't know why people were making such a fuss and telling us we had to buy steel to make a cage
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Don't overestimate how good the cage is or how many people are stupid enough to mail order lions...
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.