Author Topic: Flying RTS concept  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I think you should look at total air war especially the startegy parts (awacs controller)

Off topic, but you're referring to F-22: TAW, correct?

If memory serves correctly, there's an open source version of the sim available, derived from the 2000-ish-or-so flight sim? I actually ought to try that sometime.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Razor/Focus statements?

The razor statement is the core of what you want your game to be.  It's used to 'cut' out excess features and bad ideas (if it doesn't go with the razor statement, you get rid of it), and it shouldn't be (much) longer than a couple of sentences.

The focus statement is broader, and can be defined in a number of ways.  Though, it's generally meant for giving a clear vision of the end product in as small a space as possible (usually a few short paragraphs, with a maximum of two pages, I guess (if you really want a hard limit)).

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Turn-based is not Real-time yo.
Misleading title!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Real time gameplay that can be paused at any time by any player and used by both sides to issue orders, with a cool-down limit between pauses?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Then how are unpauses going to be handled?
Timer?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Could be, or it maybe run on the rule that whatever time you get, your opponent gets; and while you have time "paused", your opponent's aircraft can very, very slowly move, so it's possible that your opponent could use this peculiarity to successfully determine a counter to your strategy.

EDIT: One of the reasons for me wanting the atmospheric drag to be calculated in is that I want to be able to set it to 0, change the ships
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:56:40 am by Unknown Target »

Offline Davros

Off topic, but you're referring to F-22: TAW, correct?

Yes

the manual is available here :
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.482

Its a great read and is a good source for ideas especially the awacs campaign section

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:50:59 am by Davros »

Hiya! I'm not sure if this is anything like what you're planning, except in the vague concept, but there's a guy who recently resurfaced on the SoL forum with a concept for a Starfox RTS. Maybe you can compare notes or something.
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10307

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Hm, I'll check it out - thanks. :)

Been working on the plot and setting;

The story takes place on a small planet, very green, varied environments. Similar to Earth, though with much more rainforests, varied flora and fauna, and a wide variety of what's considered "human". The inhabitants of this planet also can use what they understand to be "magic" to manipulate the environment in small amounts; sending air blasts through their hands, morphing metal and machinery by touch, etc. There is a secret behind these powers, one that is linked to the story of the world and the mystery behind the floating islands.

The technology is a strange mix of superadvanced, modern-day, and very old; imagine a world where horse-drawn buggies have a wireless computer in the back, and share the road with electric cars and bicycles. There is a form of internet - a massive ad-hoc network that spans the known globe; though air travel exists, the lack of civilization and the low population numbers mean that few people ever venture to the other side of the planet. The network itself is based on wireless communication between capable devices; so the range is finite.
The world does not have fossil fuels. Electricity (generated by wind, solar, etc) is the prime driver of civilization; jets don't exist, though the aircraft themselves have sophisticated hardware and software; in some cases they are more advanced than our modern ones - in others, they are more similar to World War 2.
Cybernetics and body augmentation do exist; it is not uncommon to see someone with an advanced mechanical arm; in look, they're more similar to the Crysis Nanosuit. Humans of all shapes, sizes, abilities, and genetic modification also exist.
There are rumors of digital intelligences, though none have ever been seen or heard from and most people regard such as flights of fancy.

The islands themselves are a mystery; fifty years before the start of the game, there were earthquakes all across the planet. Those who were outside witnessed huge chunks of terrain tear themselves free of their terrestrial bonds and take to the sky. Some of them even took whole towns with them. The city of Aurora was virtually cut in half when the mountainside it was built into began to rise. The floating portion of it has since been renamed to Mont Zephyr. Since then, life on the planet has adapted quickly to these strange floating companions. Many of the land formations have taken fertile soil into the sky, or uncovered technological treasures beneath them. There are few laws in the sky, though that is quickly changing.

The story itself focuses on you, the player; a sentient shipboard intelligence, and a band of young friends who have come together to try and build a new future for themselves in the skies above. I've started writing the intro section. Still pretty rough, like most of this, but take a look;
http://pastebin.com/u1A2knW9
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:25:20 am by Unknown Target »

Offline Patriot

any news on this?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Well ambershee on ModDB said he could code in UDK in a few months to give something basic. :) Other than that I've been busy with real life stuff. I also have to learn UDK, bones, rigging, etc. :\ I should probably draw some more concepts within the next week or two. :)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Probably going to start looking for art help soon. I had the idea of these floating lakes as well - great troughs of water that had been scooped up with the islands in whatever field suspends them. There would be fish and other marine life swimming around in them; again, whatever got picked up. The lakes wouldn't be stationary - indeed, they would be churning and large bubbles of water would float about, suspended alongside floating rocks. Flying near these floating islands is tricky - aircraft are not simply pulled downwards, towards the dominant gravity field of the planet; they're also pulled inwards, towards the gravomagnetic south pole of the island; if one cut their engines and momentum, they would  down and then, if they were close enough to the island, be pulled back up into the bottom of it. Some islands have small towns built on their undersides.