Author Topic: Launcher 5.3  (Read 8494 times)

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Originally posted by karajorma
Just out of interest is anyone actually using the mod ini files I posted?

I am. They're far more easy to edit than I'd thought they'd be, so I've been making quick ones so I can multi-mod with them.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
im having issues, i cant even get launcher to start up
it opened once, the very first time, then i selected the 367 P4/AXP/A64 build and it looked like it was working for a bit, then it shut off
now it just looks like the computer is doing something for a bit, then i get that standard windows "has encountered a problem and needs to close" message

wtf?

ty for your help
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Originally posted by ARSPR
I'm having a two small bugs with Launcher 5.3.

The first one is that "-spec" flag is not saved through the Flag List but as a Custom flag. So after running the Launcher once, I always get the "Enable specular" item unticked but -spec is added to "Custom flags". If I put a tick on "Enable specular", then next time I will get two "-spec" flags through Custom Flags and so on.

Here is my Command Line instruction "C:\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_T-20050807.exe -mod MOD_FSPort -glow -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -rlm -noscalevid -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ballistic_gauge -smart_shields -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -tbpwarpeffects -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 75 -spec_static 0.6 -spec" where the three last flags are custom ones.

The second one is that the report bug button opens a broken link (http://mgo.maxgaming.net/mantis/login_page.php).

Just, one question, should we use Mantis for Launcher bugs too?

Thank you.

This happens when you have custom spec-xx commands (spec-static, spec-exp...).
Then the -spec command will be converted into a custom command.
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Turambar
im having issues, i cant even get launcher to start up
it opened once, the very first time, then i selected the 367 P4/AXP/A64 build and it looked like it was working for a bit, then it shut off
now it just looks like the computer is doing something for a bit, then i get that standard windows "has encountered a problem and needs to close" message

wtf?

ty for your help

Try deleting the launcher.ini file and setting things up again. I've seen that happen a couple of times and I reported to RT but that was before Launcher 5.3 was actually released.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Originally posted by Overlord

This happens when you have custom spec-xx commands (spec-static, spec-exp...).
Then the -spec command will be converted into a custom command.

Thank you for the info.

I have just Mantised a reminder with this info to RandomTiger.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

I've had success using karajormas .inis (no more screwing around trying to get STL working).  However, Sol:AH gives me table errors (the table entries appear to be in the wrong order) - is this normal, or are my tables for SAH old or broken?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Useful aren't they? :) I think people think they're complicated to use but in reality they amount to little more than moving a few files around in explorer.

As for SaH there's a good chance that the tables are broken there as the SCP increased the strictness with which they parse the table files a little while back.

Try going into the troubleshoot section on the launcher and choosing disable parsing errors. That will allow FS2_Open to use less strict parsing, closer to what retail used but remember that the chance of crashes and locks increases when you use this option because bad data isn't being caught.

Offline Target

Useful aren't they?

They sure are. Should become the standard for everyone. Would cut down on a lot of user created errors and make troubleshooting them easier.

Useful aren't they? :) I think people think they're complicated to use but in reality they amount to little more than moving a few files around in explorer.

They sure are!  Can the inis be used for modular tables?  Not that I'm even sure what the modular table status is at the moment... :)

As for SaH there's a good chance that the tables are broken there as the SCP increased the strictness with which they parse the table files a little while back.

Yeah, I dimly recall last time I fought the beast trying to get SAH working I manually went through the tbls and reordered everything using the error data.  I guess it serves me right for not saving the 'fixed' version!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Pnakotus
They sure are!  Can the inis be used for modular tables?  Not that I'm even sure what the modular table status is at the moment... :)

Modular tables may possibly be a problem depending on how they are used by the second mod (Modular tables should be fine in the first mod as far as I can see but I don't know if they would work if they are in the second mod).

Even if they don't work placing a copy of the modular table in the first mods folder should end the problem :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
If you can see mission files/campaign from both mods using multiple mods, then yes, modular tables should work.
-C

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm wondering if that would be a problem. Suppose I have altered the Myrmidon to be faster in the table files for my mod. A second helper mod however uses a modular table to alter the myrmidon to be more agile.

Am I right in thinking that when I run using multimod I'd end up with a myrmidon that is both faster AND more agile? What about when those changes are made to modular tables that allow you to simply edit the lines you wish and read everything else from the table?

Offline WMCoolmon

The Myrmidon will either be faster or more agile, not both.

Right now there are no modular tables that let you simply edit the lines you want to; each time you specify a ship, the old entry is cleared and then the data applied, or a new entry is created.

That is going to change, though.
-C

That answers a question I had about granularity: so each object can only have it's attributes modified once?  The wiki isn't very specific, so how do I determine which tbm takes precedence over others?

Offline WMCoolmon

I've never tested it with the multiple mod feature, so I'm guessing the one in the target mod will take precedence. :nervous:
-C

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
The Myrmidon will either be faster or more agile, not both.

Right now there are no modular tables that let you simply edit the lines you want to; each time you specify a ship, the old entry is cleared and then the data applied, or a new entry is created.

That is going to change, though.

And what's going to happen when you do make that change? I think just faster makes the most sense but I've got no idea how easy that will be to do.

Offline WMCoolmon

When I do, ships will be initialized once, and all fields will be optional so that only what you specify will be used.

So if you wanted to keep it as maneuverable as before, but go faster, you'd specify the $Max Speed field with your new value, and the $Rot time field (I forget the name) with the original Myrmidon value. So:
Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes
$Name: GTF Myrmidon
$Rot time: blah blah blah
$Max Speed: blah
#End

could be your entire modular table contents to make that mod.

This way you can make an add-on for afterburner/shockwave art or whatever else without interfering with other mods on the ship. (eg a mod adds a new weapon to the 'allowed weapons' list)
-C

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hi, I don't know if this is a bug or the program is intended to work in this way so I'm posting it before mantisig it.

I've made a vp containing LS Nebulae (and their stars.tbl) called mv_000_LS_Nebulae.vp. This pack is going to be used in Derelict and Trascend so I've put it a subfolder called MOD_LS_Nebulae as I want to use multimod and mod.ini features.

Derelict is in MOD_Derelict. Then if Derelict's mod.ini is:
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,MOD_LS_Nebulae;
then command line is fs_open_P420060126.exe -mod MOD_Derelict, ,MOD_LS_Nebulae ..., and the multimod feature works fine; I mean I get the nebulae in the game. (Notice the two commas and the space).

But if Derelict's mod.ini is:
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = MOD_LS_Nebulae;
then command line is fs_open_P420060126.exe -mod MOD_Derelict, MOD_LS_Nebulae ... and the Nebulae aren't loaded. (Notice just one comma and one space).

Is there any reason to this behaviour? Or is it a bug?

OTOH, shoudn't it be secondarylist instead of secondrylist?
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You're right on both counts. :)

I did bring up the first point with RT when the launcher was under development and was told that he'd get around to it eventually. Till then it works prefectly well even if it looks odd in the launcher.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Then I suppose the secondarylist is a launcher bug as it's the Launcher which translates it in flags.

But the comma issue seems be a fs2_open_ChooseTheVersion.exe bug as I suppose Launcher has no relation with flag processing. Do I mantis it? Is it fixable?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 02:58:23 pm by ARSPR »