Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 423137 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.0 (combined launcher/installer)
Upgraded movies for which mod? Knossos will use whatever the mod dev told it to use. If you manually install the cutscenes, it should work (assuming you're placing them in the correct folder).

Sorry forgot to mention it is the ones for FS1. 

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68161.0

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm pretty sure FSPort has not included them in any official release or patch. You'll have to bother Goober5000 for that.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The FSPort MediaVPs include the cutscenes. Make sure you're using them and have the "movies" package installed (you can check by clicking the modify button for the FSPort MediaVPs on your Explore tab).

EDIT: I haven't checked which cutscenes are included in that package. If you have it installed and the cutscenes are still not showing up, you'll have to ask Goober5000 or someone else on the FSPort team about it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:41:41 pm by ngld »

Do I need Nebula login to report problems with mods?

In this case installing Wing Commander IV Demo doesn't add Wing Commander Saga.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:29:17 am by tomimaki »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
In this case installing Wing Commander IV Demo doesn't add Wing Commander Saga.

Because Wing Commander Saga is not needed for it iirc.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
The WCIV demo does require WCS to be installed.
However, though you don't need to login to report a mod, the fact that you can install WCIV without first installing WCS and you can uninstall WCS without first uninstalling WCIV seems more like a problem with Knossos than those mods.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 06:00:41 pm by PIe »
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Pretty sure it's a problem with the mod. For example, if you install Silent Threat: Reborn. You cannot uninstall FSPort MediaVPs because ST:R needs it. Knossos warns you and will not uninstall.

And I just checked. WCIV does not require Knossos install WCS. If WCIV requires WCS, then the dependencies are wrong in the mod.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
And I just checked. WCIV does not require Knossos install WCS. If WCIV requires WCS, then the dependencies are wrong in the mod.
WCIV will not run without WCS installed.  If you were just looking at the dependencies, then WCS won't be there because it's not a dependency.  It's the parent TC, just like retail FS2 is the parent game for most mods.  The relevant line is
Code: [Select]
"parent": "Wing_Commander_Saga",
Pretty sure it's a problem with the mod. For example, if you install Silent Threat: Reborn. You cannot uninstall FSPort MediaVPs because ST:R needs it. Knossos warns you and will not uninstall.
Right, that's why I said I think it's a problem with Knossos.  Because WCIV does require WCS to work, you shouldn't be able to uninstall WCS while having WCIV still there.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Then why does choosing to install WCIV not force installation of WCS? As far as I can tell, Knossos doesn't really know the two are connected.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I remember that I changed how TC mods worked quite a while ago. They now have to have a dependency on their TCs (if they don't, it's automatically added during upload).
This might be an old mod from before the change. The missing dependency probably caused all the mentioned problems.

Is it possible to use the Shield Management script with Knossos and if so where do we place the files?

http://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Script_-_Shield_Management

.tbm files go into tables, .lua files into scripts. Interface is missing, and I'm not sure if the version on the wiki is broken/outdated too (last update 2011).

There was a simmilar discussion about using "extension-type"-mods on Knossos here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=47069.msg1871292#msg1871292

Edit: I think most scripting examples on the wiki are broken, if you're looking for scripts to play with grab JAD/BP/BTA or something like that...

The reason I was asking is there doesn't seem to be a script folder in my Knossos install.  Also the shield script works with the latest builds under wXLauncher
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:12:19 pm by OverDhill »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You can create the script folder yourself (either in FS2/data/scripts or FS2/<mod>/data/scripts). Except for a few specific cases (like TCs and dev mods), the FS2 folder in Knossos works like the FS2 installation folder with wxLauncher.

I already tried that and the shield balance graphics are nowhere to be seen on the screen.

I know this works under 3.8 with wxLaucher

Could you see if you can see why they are not working

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The script loads fine when started through Knossos. I didn't see anything though (probably because the images were missing). However, this doesn't look like it's Knossos' fault.

If you want to find out why it breaks, I'd suggest creating a debug log and seeing if you can find a difference between the one produced by FSO run through Knossos and when it's run through wxLauncher.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.1 (combined launcher/installer)
Knossos 0.12.1 has been released. This release fixes a bug which prevented some people from starting FRED and launching FSO from FRED.
I've increased the timeouts used for network requests which should solve a lot of the recent upload problems.
m!m contributed a patch which allows Knossos to work without the cmdline_fso.cfg. This shouldn't have any consequences for non-coders but let me know if this broke anything.
The version number is once again displayed in the title bar (it vanished after I implemented the custom title bar). Not sure if I'm going to leave that as it is. I'll probably make the version number smaller.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Knossos 0.12.1 has been released. This release fixes a bug which prevented some people from starting FRED and launching FSO from FRED.
I've increased the timeouts used for network requests which should solve a lot of the recent upload problems.
m!m contributed a patch which allows Knossos to work without the cmdline_fso.cfg. This shouldn't have any consequences for non-coders but let me know if this broke anything.
The version number is once again displayed in the title bar (it vanished after I implemented the custom title bar). Not sure if I'm going to leave that as it is. I'll probably make the version number smaller.

Make the version number appear on titlebar mouseover.  Just because.  ;)  (Not sure if that's the brightest idea, though, as it probably makes troubleshooting easier if it's always on.)

Thanks for the help fixing the Shield Management. It was my error. Been so long since I added this I forgot about the interface folder. It works now. Thanks