Author Topic: Force Feedback joysticks support?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline trm

Force Feedback joysticks support?
Hi there,

I'm new to the game, always wanted to try it and now that I have the GoG version and the FSO installed I'm having some trouble trying to get the FFB to work properly.

The issue:

I get the FFB to work partially, I get centering force and I get vibration as I shoot, but the joystick just reacts on the first collision, and then FFB stops responding to collisions. (I could only get FFB to work with FSO btw, not in vanilla)

So the questions:

Is FFB working properlly on FSO?
What are the FFB joysticks known to work with FSO?

I know there's not many people using FFB joysticks nowadays, but I would love to experience the game that way. :)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Force Feedback joysticks support?
:welcomeblue:

I have been using my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 in this game (both vanilla and FSO) for years.  That being said, I have not played in a while, so I can't confirm that it still works.  Can you post which build you are using so smarter people than me can maybe troubleshoot?  Maybe post your fs2_open.log?

There is a Joystick FAQ here, but i don't see this issue posted in that. 

Good luck!!

EDIT: I just tried Retail and a mod (The Antagonist) with the latest nightly build (Knossos settings, Preferred Engine Stability: Nightly) , and the FFB still works for me even after multiple collisions.  I also ensured the joystick check boxes for Force Feedback and Directional Hit were checked.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:04:21 pm by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline trm

Hi deathspeed,

thank you for your answer. I decided to search for a Sidewinder FFB2 for myself based on your post (and other people posts) and research I made on the last weeks. It seems the best option I have to experience the game.

I didn't mention, but the joystick I have used is the Sidewinder FFB Pro converted from gameport to usb using a teensy, so althrough the FFB of it works with other games, it seems to be incompatible with FSO. I'm just stating this in case there's someone thinking about using this modded joystick with the game.

Thank you again for your statement, at least now I know I can invest on another joystick.

Been using MS Sidewinder Force Feedback2 since 2003. Best joystick ever.

I was actually very surprised that Force Feedback has become a very rare feature because of patent trolls. Even those very expensive Thrustmaster HOTAS joysticks don't have it. The overall gaming feel and precision is still superior in FF2 compared to the modern joysticks.

There is some rumor that the Force feedback patent should be expiring some time in the future and new competitors would arrive, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam

I didn't mention, but the joystick I have used is the Sidewinder FFB Pro converted from gameport to usb using a teensy, so althrough the FFB of it works with other games, it seems to be incompatible with FSO. I'm just stating this in case there's someone thinking about using this modded joystick with the game.

From what I read in this older post, I think it may have something to do with SDL builds (i am not a coder so i don't really know what that means LOL).  I still have my gameport FFB Pro and wold love to get an adapter to get it running with FFB!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.