Author Topic: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread  (Read 142937 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread
'Kay, so to run the latest JAD (I just released updates for 2.21 and 2.22, so make sure to get those!), you need FSO19 RC2 and the latest MediaVPs.

My recommended command line is:
-emissive_light -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -fb_thrusters -enable_shadows -no_vsync -dualscanlines -targetinfo -3dwarp -warp_flash -fullscreen_window -missile_lighting -ambient_factor 60 -bloom_intensity 30

(Though you can remove -fxaa and -enable_shadows if its too much for your system.

I hope that's enough. I'm exhausted in doing the final prep, so if you don't have things all cool by tomorrow, we can figure something out.

You can just throw all the JAD VPs in the same folder and use this as a mod.ini

Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = Just Another Day 2.2;
image255x112 = jad22bitmap.bmp;
infotext     = Only one girl can save the universe from suddenly appearing demigods, mysterious shadowy councils and internet in-jokes. And that girl is... 19th century English Computer Programmer Forerunner, Augusta Ada Lovelace! Or some ditz named Holley. Whoever's available.;
website      = http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Just_Another_Day;

[multimod]
secondarylist = mediavps40x;

Where mediavpsvp40x is the folder where you have the latest mediavps.

Did the same (manual install, all VPs in 1 folder), works fine so far.

Hi everybody, I just fresh downloaded JAD 2.21 and when I try to play the campaign, I get a black screen and (apparently) an error for every text box that should appear but doesn't. The error are all the same:
LUA ERROR: [string "vs2-sct.tbm - On Frame"]:3273: attempt to index global 'Scroll' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "vs2-sct.tbm - On Frame"]:3273: in main chunk

After clicking continue for a while, music started playing, then, more errors. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You need the recent most build to play (19-RC2).

Offline Axem

Agh. There's a script file that got tied in with the Visual Novel script that's in JAD2.21 that is in with the JAD2.23 files. So the fix is just to have the 2.23 files loaded (all the missions and campaigns from the past releases are there).

That is something I'll have to fix though in a patch. Sorry for the trouble!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:35:32 pm by Axem »

Did you disable skipping missions for the campaign? I rammed my fighter into a station 5 times in a row but after clicking on "skip" I'm still on the same mission.

Offline Axem

If you're stuck in the campaign, traditional failure skipping won't work because of the way the mission selection map unlocks missions. It needs to be a full and total mission completion for it to count. There is a way you can still skip missions though. The mission select screen will have all missions unlocked if you enter it on the lowest difficulty. So go into the mission on the lowest difficulty and then bump it back up to what you usually play in. Just keep in mind that difficulty unlock isn't permanent.

Running Ubuntu 16.04 with the recommended build it crashes when creating a new pilot. Log attached.

Ideas?

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline Axem

From the debug log I see JAD isn't even being loaded. It's just retail files so I think the problem lies with something outside of the mod.

Also pilot files are a lot more robust now, you can use the same pilot file for all campaigns.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
He's right, you do not need to create a myriad of pilots any longer.

Did you get to the point where you are able to type in the name?

Alternatively, are you able to select another pilot, go to the barracks screen and then attempt to create a pilot that way?

All the log is telling me is that you are on the selection screen, and that one of your pilots got converted from the old version to the new version.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:29:31 pm by Cyborg17 »

Yes, its the selection screen. When I try to delete an old pilot (max. number reached!) it crashes. Maybe thats the problem here, that the build cannot handle that?

Ok, I just took another pilot, but JAD is not even showing up in the campaign room

You can delete pilot files by moving them out of the data/players folder. Make sure that your latest selected pilot is still there though, I know that it messed with the registry at some point.

Offline Axem

From your original debug log, there were no JAD files being loaded at all, just the retail files. What are you using to launch FreeSpace?

I am using wxlauncher 0.9 from the Ubuntu repository. Newer versions do not work because of dependency hell

I'm using 5.5g for everything, so "old launcher" can't be the reason why JAD isn't loaded.

Offline Axem

No mod.ini is provided by default. Do you have a mod.ini as described in this post?

I did. The folder was named "MediaVPs_4.0", I renamed it to "MediaVPs_40" without "." and adjusted the mod.ini accordingly. Didnt work, same crash

ls -l shows

-rw-rw-r-- 1 oliver oliver  386790631 Dez 25 02:53 jad223_anime.vp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 oliver oliver 1521772952 Dez 25 02:53 jad223_assets.vp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 oliver oliver    2785769 Dez 25 03:28 jad223_root.vp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 oliver oliver        484 Dez 31 17:49 mod.ini

Well your log clearly states that no cmdline flags have passed. Your launcher can't actually launch FSO properly and seems to just be launching it in full retail mode.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Axem

Also you'll need jad2.21 files and jad2.22 files as well (unless those are just cut off from the listing here)

I used wxLauncher for development of JAD, so I don't know exactly why it might not work. But I'm pretty sure its not a JAD specific problem, there's something else going on.