Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 212256 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Stryke, you tard... :rolleyes:

Welcome back.... kinda :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
Originally posted by LOA--Paul
Why the hell doesn't THQ buy it and get Volition to make it again?  I'm sure they could advertise it better than Interplay.  (Or is Volition even still owned by THQ.  I haven't followed it at all very much until a friend sent me a link to that thread)

Fire sale prices are much better when there is a forced sale.  As long as Interplay still breathes because their creditors haven't shut them down, they could always say NO.  Or use Derek as a stalking horse to raise the bids by companies who you'd think actually COULD afford to pay decent money for the property.

My recollection is that Volition always had the first right to develop the next FreeSpace.  So Derek's got to deal with a little legal niceties before he does ANYTHING.  It's not a done deal.

Derek wants a lot of things, and they don't always happen.  Not a suprise, he's not exactly a "people" person.
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Yes. Because everyone finished with the flames and Bob and Thunder actually got Smart to chill out and talk like a human being and then you come rollin' in like your redundant flame post of the sort that caused him to screech and turn green and fly around on a broomstick before is gonna resolve the whole ****in' issue. Which pissed me off, as I'd rather not have to help you monkeys duck a Derek Smart lawsuit, though I will if you're really so incompetent that that becomes necessary. When I'm pissed, I say **** a lot. Got it?

Next time, be best if you read at least as much text as you plan to post. In which case, you'd know he'll fly off the handle and everyone'll have to start over again because of you. I doubt my damage control in distancing from you is gonna do enough. You could have done the kindness of deleting your idiotic goddamned post so's he doesn't see it, as it's already been done a dozen times at Avault with damned little success, but I suppose you're not bright enough to help yourself and everyone else when you could feel like The Big Man for flaming some jackhole you'll never meet via text on an open forum. A day after everyone else has done the same damned thing, mostly more eloquently and interestingly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 09:31:38 pm by 262 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
FAMILY REUNION! :D
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'd like to point out that I haven't heard or seen anything from Mr Smart since yesterday.  So how do we know exactly that we have "calmed him down?"  Unless someone has gotten an e-mail that I wasn't aware of.  Then again, this whole mess is moving way too fast to keep up with.

Oh, and my bad on the lyrics thing.  I should know better :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 09:43:08 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
I'd take the contrast between his posts in that thread in response to Thunder, which are relatively coherent and, uh, sane, and the ones he posted earlier here to be an encouraging one.

I might be wrong, but either way stupid, redundant flaming isn't exactly going to get him to suddenly cave and say "I give in, you damned kids have warmed my heart- tell you what, I'll buy the license and give it to Volition for free!" Diplomacy may in fact have a chance in hell of convincing him to at the least listen to fan input sometimes and getting him to drop any frivolous anti-Ferrium lawsuit he may be planning (which he could, as I've mentioned, win simply by virtue of the fact that it'd be too expensive to fight him), and I'd rather try something that's a risk than something that's a proven (and really rather obvious, should you care to think about it) failure. In the entire history of mankind, nobody has ever acted like less of a jerk because of unsolicited input on what a jerk he's being.

And, y'know, he's right, from a certain standpoint. He doesn't have to listen to a word we say, and people here did treat him somewhat unfairly- though as I mentioned before that was understandable to an extent. It's our job to make him want to listen to us.

And agreed. It's all gotten pretty confusing. Still, interesting, eh?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 09:44:39 pm by 262 »

Offline jdjtcagle

I hope he realizes now that there more people that are not going to buy it, than there are...
But, it wouldn't seem so since he didn't learn after getting bad ratings on every game he has made
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
JD: I'm pretty sure he means it when he says he doesn't care what anyone else thinks. It's not the ideal way to run a standard business, perhaps, but it is the only way to be Derek Smart, and evidently he's gotten enough money from being Derek Smart to do things like buy hundred-thousand-dollar game licenses on a lark.

And it's been pointed out to him, multiple times, that he's driving some potential fans away. It, uh, didn't seem to get anyone anywhere.

Let's be honest with ourselves, anyway, most people here would buy it out of curiosity no matter what. Or at least download it.

Offline jdjtcagle

:(
If he gets it, I will cry and then learn to code
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline jdjtcagle

Originally posted by Stryke 9

Let's be honest with ourselves, anyway, most people here would buy it out of curiosity no matter what. Or at least download it.

I would get the Demo and find out someway to get it, without paying.... if it's good
Mmmm... suprnova
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 09:52:54 pm by 1472 »
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline HeX

• http://www.warpstorm.com
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
I hope he realizes now that there more people that are not going to buy it, than there are...
But, it wouldn't seem so since he didn't learn after getting bad ratings on every game he has made

I don't think it matters to him. Think about it, his games have been reviewed as sub-par at best and many people hate them. Yet he always seems to make enough to start another game, and another, and another.

His fanbase will support him even if they've never played Freespace. Believe me, he won't loose any sleep over people not buying it. Ever read the thread on this over at his forum? It's at www.3000ad.com and under the Games and Gaming section near the bottom of the forum index. His hardcore fans would buy his feces in a box if he sold it to them.

People have said that they'd never buy the game every time he's made a BC game and yet he always makes enough profit to build another.

Edit:
Here, a direct link to the thread. http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000352

Don't bother registereing and posting in it, he bans everyone who pretty much disagrees with anything he says. You'd be wasting your time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 09:56:40 pm by 596 »
Warpstorm
Alot's changed, but alot's still the same. Come on by and talk about anything!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Indeed. It sounds like a BC game to me, too. But, y'know, why not let 'im try it, so long as he doesn't interfere with anything that goes on here- it can't hurt, and even if it turns out bad it just might revive enough interest in the title to get someone more to taste to buy it off of him.

Though he hasn't actually bought it yet. This all might still come out to nothing, who knows.

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
Stryke 9, disagreeing isn't flaming.  If you can't understand that, nothing further to be said.  And you can't live in fear of ever hurting someone's feelings if that person isn't reasonable to disagreement.

My point isn't redundant -- my point is that Derek is not likely to do well with buying a franchise.  Derek does his own thing, and gets upset if people disagree with him.  That's not going to be a successful attitude to revive FreeSpace.  It ruins the value of the title he's trying to buy.  That is VERY different from the other points which questioned Derek's ability to make games, his direction for the game, whether he should get input from the community, his fitness as a human being, etc. etc.  And rushing off to pout about his mistreatment isn't a very mature or constructive at all.  So, I consider my point proven. QED

My point isn't stupid.  It's thought out, and logical.  If you'd READ it rather than worry about the reaction to it.  The points are made using Derek's own words, economic logic and with my credibility as someone knowing the FreeSpace license.  And I've been reading Derek Smart threads SINCE the BK3000AD debacle, most recently on Gone Gold.

Don't sell the FreeSpace license short.  There may be other buyers, and the fat lady hasn't sung yet (bankruptcy proceedings for Interplay have not started).  Derek Smart is not our only hope, so don't sell out to the Devil just because he's there.   Don't eat yellow snow.  :ick: Have a nice day. :D
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Originally posted by HeX

Don't bother registereing and posting in it, he bans everyone who pretty much disagrees with anything he says. You'd be wasting your time.

Hell, look what he posted in that thread based on the fact that someone was concerned about what heard:

"I'm not sure what I should be upset the most about

That YOU would, without giving me the COURTESY of the benefit of the doubt, would ASSUME that I would make a post like that.
That you had the audacity to still post it here.
That you were FOOLISH enough to not pull up BOTH my actual Blues profile (click on a post by me) and that trolling imposter's.

I have posted in the thread and reported it to Blues. As someone else just posted there, that person is an imposter and is not me.

You, Fractux, have earned a slot in my bad book, from this day onward."
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline jdjtcagle

Originally posted by HeX

I don't think it matters to him. Think about it, his games have been reviewed as sub-par at best and many people hate them. Yet he always seems to make enough to start another game, and another, and another.

His fanbase will support him even if they've never played Freespace. Believe me, he won't loose any sleep over people not buying it. Ever read the thread on this over at his forum? It's at www.3000ad.com and under the Games and Gaming section near the bottom of the forum index. His hardcore fans would buy his feces in a box if he sold it to them.

People have said that they'd never buy the game every time he's made a BC game and yet he always makes enough profit to build another.

Edit:
Here, a direct link to the thread. http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000352

I wonder if I would get banned... be right back :D
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline HeX

Jetmech - Yeah, and THAT was by accident. The guy thought an imposter was Derek and Derek flew off the handle for a mistake.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 10:03:53 pm by 596 »
Warpstorm

I know, doesnt have much tolerance for mistakes, does he? :doubt:
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline jdjtcagle

Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline HeX

Well regardless, if he gets the FS license, he gets it. I won't be playing the game if he makes it. Not unless there's some fanbase or Volition design team input. Even then it's only a maybe.

It's pretty much out of our hands.
Warpstorm

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Zarathud: I don't plan on selling out to the Devil, but I don't plan on courting his worse attentions unless I have to, either. Like I said- diplomacy, man. It's been demonstrated before that, logical or not, he doesn't respond well (to say the least) to negative-toned feedback. He isn't going to read your post and think "Hey, hmm, he has a point, this is a lot more of a stretch than my Battlecruiser games, and maybe I should wait around for a buyer who's more like Volition". He's going to read it and  regard it as a flame, and go nuts. Hence, for the purposes of that thread your post is retermed as a flame- it's inflammatory, hence a flame, duh.

At the end of the day, this is not nearly enough of a "big" issue for an honor battle or for much to be enjoyed out of moral victories- ultimately who's right and who's wrong is of little importance- it's who's left, and who gets what. Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but I suspect most people here would rather have the freedom to continue as normal without harassment from some guy with spurious legal leverage over us than have the cold comfort of knowing at the end of the day we were right and he was wrong. It's a bit of a reach to hope that justice will prevail on its own or someone'll swoop down and save us from Smart, so we might as well get to work saving ourselves.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're even trying to achieve here. If you've read his stuff before, you know he's got his own, very different, perception of the realities around him than you do, and isn't going to take your points seriously. There's no case I've seen where adopting a negative, argumentative tone with him (which you have done, whether it's flaming or not) has done anything more than make him freak and stop listening. There's not any way I can look at it where working him up into a lather is conducive towards getting something, anything we want out of him. Hence... why? Why not adopt a more diplomatic approach that he might respond to?

Maybe you're missing the context, I dunno. This is not some ultimate battle between Good and Evil. Honestly, what he's doing is little more than what all those little kids who plagued the VBB did, with their plans to create a highly subjective Freespace 3 that doesn't seem particularly appealing as so. The Freespace mods can still continue (probably). There's still the infinitely remote chance of someone else coming along and picking up the license. Making trouble for the community in the short term over what's really kind of an absurd point isn't worth it.

Should he express determination to continue on the path of opposition to HLP or the greater mass of the Freespace fanbase, yes, naturally things will change. I'll fight, when I have to- hell, might as well, all my worthwhile causes are dead. But it's not that time yet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 10:17:18 pm by 262 »