Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 212424 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
"his dreams are no match for your reality" :D
But if we fight, we could easily turned that around for us ;)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Uh, how are you exactly planning to do that?

Short of buying the license out from under him, which effort is getting nowhere fast (you people really need to learn coordination), there ain't much you can do. Piss him off, fine, he buys the license and starts trying to sue people. If he manages to pin down any project leaders (which I'm trying to develop plans to make as difficult as possible, just in case), he can very literally shut that part of the community down, 'cos nobody can afford thousands of dollars in lawyer fees to fight a cease-and-desist. Manage to escape the Wrath of Smart clean, fine, you've gained nothing, and HLP is now on the less favorable side of the law, loses its Gamespy hosting, and is forced to move to multiple locations internationally.

Like I said, fighting is possible, but the HLP community only stands to lose by doing so (unless you manage to raise the proper funds- by all means, go to). Hence, it should be put off as long as is humanly possible.

Believe me, I'm itching to **** with somebody, and since all the political battles I can tolerate, much less get behind, have been lost, I've got a lot of creative energy for this sorta thing stored up. But still. Bad idea.

Offline HeX

• http://www.warpstorm.com
Originally posted by heretc

his threatening of suing for IP- that's complete and utter nonsense. You can only go after someone using that if they are profiting from the property. A lot of companies like to go after and threaten people, however the Fair Use Act allows people to use IP for nonprofit reasons.

Just thought I'd point out that post on the "suing" matter.
Warpstorm
Alot's changed, but alot's still the same. Come on by and talk about anything!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Yes, that's my point. He can't win a case, but he doesn't need to. This is how most lawsuits are won, the party with less money can't afford to keep up the fight drops out, and the other one wins by default. He's thinking of buying the damned FreeSpace license for kicks- if he's tenacious enough, and any dodges attempted fail, he could drag the issue to the court phase, and then the victim would lose. Do you think lawyers come free? Do you think if you can't afford a defense the judge just says "Oh, all right, he's down for the count. Let's have a truce, kids!"?

Who, exactly, is going to spend most of their year's income on a protracted legal battle over the right to mod a game?

Also, Fair Use has been argued many times before, and the final decision isn't always in the nonprofit group's favor. However, in this case it won't even get that far.

Honestly, I suspect the lawsuit thing is just him pointing out that if he gets the license he could **** HLP back, front, and sideways, and there's not a damned thing the lot of you could do. Which is perfectly true in a number of ways, and a point worth paying attention to- he has some chips in this game, or at least some potential chips, that the FS fanbase doesn't. Hence why I'm advocating playing nice. He might not do it, but the chance is there- and what exactly is there to lose by trying to keep the dialogue civil anyway? Show me something, besides "overinflated HLPer egoes", and we'll see.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 10:44:02 pm by 262 »

Offline HeX

Just trying to give hope to the people ya over-critical prick. (J/K ;) )
Warpstorm

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Aight, sorry. You're right about the legal thing, though, and I'm pretty sure if it comes to that I and any others with some familiarity with the law can prevent it from reaching the court stage. I just wanna make sure it's perfectly clear this isn't some damn argument over where the Klingons would beat the Shivans in a fight or whatever it is you people slap at each other about when I'm not around to start fights.

As you were. :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 10:49:14 pm by 262 »

Offline HeX

See now that's a bit more upbeat! :D
Warpstorm

Offline HeX

You know it's rather funny but when this whole business started I pictured a rally at HLP like that one scene in Master and Commander.

Captain Jack: Do you want to see a guillotine in Piccadilly!?
Crew: NO!
Captain Jack: Do you want to call that little turd Bonaparte your king!?
Captain Jack Aubrey: Do you want your children to sing the Marseillaise!?

:D
Warpstorm

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
Dear ****ing Christ on a stick, this has gone waaay too far. Stryke, welcome back (:D) - you make a bloody good point. DS has more money than this community can ever hope to raise, so if he wants the franchise, he'll get it, along with any legal bollocks he wants to attach to it.

I suggest that we stop *****ing about what DS is or isn't allowed to do, and just leave it until we have some decent idea what the hell he's actually going to do with the FS franchise. If it's good, then buy the new game. If not, then ignore it. Regardless, the SCP and Ferrium should continue as normal, and we should disregard anything that doesn't come from :V: people, if not from :V: itself.

Let's all calm down about this, yeah? :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline mc 101

Gamespot has this issue in their latest rumor control. They say that it seems bogus...http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/16/news_6102932.html

Offline HeX

I get a "cannot connect to server". Bogus? How so? Derek Smart posted about this on his own forums so I fail to see how it's bogus.
Warpstorm

Offline mc 101

fixed link...

Offline HeX

Hmm...well I still fail to see how it's bogus. Their information is incorrect. He stated later in the thread that he "fully intends" to persue purchase of the license.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 11:08:12 pm by 596 »
Warpstorm

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE ArtistĂ©
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
like i mentioned before, the liscense will go to the highest bidder. so somebody like volition, hell even Digital anvil buying it out from under him may be a distinct possibility..

anybody want to start a petition to THQ(or even Volition) to buy the rights for freespace?..
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline HeX

Well like I said before there's already a rumor that EgoSoft will try for it.

And I believe Volition was e-mailed.
Warpstorm

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Turnsky: Might wanna try helping getting that fund set up, instead. THQ/whover might be able to ignore fans demanding a new FS2 from them (in fact, history shows they will)- they won't ignore a significant group of people offering them money to buy it with.

And it's probable that at least certain parties at Volition are interested anyway, it's just, y'know, a matter of not having any dosh to compete with. But we'll see, I suppose.

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Originally posted by Turnsky
like i mentioned before, the liscense will go to the highest bidder. so somebody like volition, hell even Digital anvil buying it out from under him may be a distinct possibility..

anybody want to start a petition to THQ(or even Volition) to buy the rights for freespace?..

What year do you live in Turnsky? Digital Anvil went poof in...what...2000?
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline jdjtcagle

*breaks silence*

HLP is getting a lot of publicity, for all new people welcome :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline jdjtcagle