Off-Topic Discussion > Gaming Discussion

Trends in Gaming.(a rant)

(1/15) > >>

Turnsky:
okay, this is a broad one, split into numbered mini rants.

1) ever notice that in most games, even ones touted as having a "gripping storyline" (blah blah blah), tends to fall far short of the mark? and the single-player experience plays second banana to the sometimes "tacked on" often mediocre reviewed multiplayer component?
or even, the ones that have NO single player element fails to rise to expectations, leaving the player sitting on their chair with a blank expression on their face, feeling somewhat cheated at the sight of the anticlimatic ending of a game when they finally slog through the umpteenth familiar looking corridor?

the episodic content of HL2 is excepted in this, as it seems they're trying to give it an cinematic feel, and fleshing out the story that they should've done in HL2 itself (don't get on my case about having to LOOK for the story, i looked, it filled NO gaps, infact it made more plot holes than anything else)

2) also, with the prospect of yet another bakers dozen of WW2 based games being released anytime soon has left me wondering, just how much "Story" is there to World War two?, and how long until players themselves will be able to experience the sheer utter MISERY people suffered in that conflict? i mean, sure WW2 is interesting and all, but making discs upon discs upon discs worth of games about it is making light of something very serious to a lot of people.

3) I've also noticed a disturbing lack of "feeling" in games, i mean something that looks like a lot of care and attention was put into it, to make it stand apart from the crowd, you guys know what i mean, don't you?.. it's what made many of the older lucasarts adventures stand out in a sea of interactive fictions, it's what made grim fandango stand out, what made the fallout games stand out  that special something that will make you one day, after a long while, take the case out of your collection, blow the dust off it, install it, and play it, and smile at the memories that it brought to you.
The prospect of the new Sam & Max game is a hopeful one, but i wonder how much of its charm will survive when it finally comes out.

In closing, i guess i'm just the sort of person who wants to sit back for a few minutes, and marvel at just the epic scale of the whole thing, to think, to just enjoy the game's story for its feel(cinematic or otherwise), and not just how to duck bullets and high explosives, etc. 
I guess games are failing to capture people's attention the way they used to.

Ghostavo:
We share your pain.

Dark Hunter:
Yes indeed. Ever since Sony's Playstation said "Hey! Look at my shiny graphics!" I've seen a huge decline in game quality.

Tyrian:
Seconded.  It seems that games with good gameplay have poor stories, while ones with good stories take a hit to gameplay.

Best example:  Look at the Final Fantasy series.  It seems to me that gameplay took a hit post FFX-2.  Anyone play the FFXII demo?  The controls just felt wrong to me...  I can understand the drive for innovation, but it just didn't feel like their new system was "working" for the series.

Sarafan:

--- Quote from: Turnsky on August 01, 2006, 09:27:57 am ---
3) I've also noticed a disturbing lack of "feeling" in games, i mean something that looks like a lot of care and attention was put into it, to make it stand apart from the crowd, you guys know what i mean, don't you?.. it's what made many of the older lucasarts adventures stand out in a sea of interactive fictions, it's what made grim fandango stand out, what made the fallout games stand out  that special something that will make you one day, after a long while, take the case out of your collection, blow the dust off it, install it, and play it, and smile at the memories that it brought to you.
The prospect of the new Sam & Max game is a hopeful one, but i wonder how much of its charm will survive when it finally comes out.

--- End quote ---

The first Homeworld and C&C had that feeling. The problem is that games today are always focusing more on the graphics instead of anything else, tell me how many recent games had a incredible story? Not good, but a incredible one. The worst thing is that there are many games that are really good (all around, gameplay and story) but they dont sell too much because they're not shiny enough (this is not FS2's case).

About WW2 games, it should be really easy to make game of that period with a real story but the problem is that most of these games boil down to mindless shooting, Call of Duty 1 & 2 could have a nice story simply because of those letters before each level, but it didnt. How many WW2 games are FPS and RTS? Its seems that the whole thing is simply restricted to just these two genres.

The Metal Gear series, IMO, is an exception to this rule, you can really see the whole effort that went into making each of them, the characters, story, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version