Author Topic: Debris question  (Read 1095 times)

Howdy,

I'm working on a new mission for Diaspora and have some thoughts on what I want to accomplish but I'm not certain on how to go about it.  I want to have a Raptor jump into a battle in progress, have to perform some mission tasks, and jump back to its mother ship.  The thing is I want there to be cap ships being destroyed.  The problem I see is that when you "jump" back you're basically using the vanish ship command and departure/arrival routines to clear out all of the ships involved in the battle and add relevant ships back to the mission.  How do you get rid of the debris?  I don't see any way to add or remove debris.

I thought it would be cool to have some debris already present.  I found some ideas on how to do that, as well as make a ship look dead in a couple of threads but I didn't find anything about how to remove debris from a mission.

One thought I had was to make the location of your "jump" arrival and the battle very far away from your departure/return point.  In theory then you wouldn't be able to see any debris that would be left over.  How far away would you need to be for that method?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

I handled this by making the combat take place about 100k away from the starting point.  Moving the player to each area during the "jump" which actually is a jump now I guess, and then limiting sensor range to 50k.  So even if you did target a piece of debris you can't see it or have it on sensors when you jump back.  That'll work.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I was going to suggest reducing radar range but I wanted to test it out first to see if it would work the way I thought it would. Glad to hear that it worked.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]