Author Topic: physics @ work!  (Read 13916 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
as for invisible weapons, her... no way. I like realism only when it doesn't detract away from the "coolness" factor. invisible weapons are just... well, lame. what's cool in a space battle is to see lasers flying everywhere, not just ships dying for no apparent reason.
SCREW CANON!

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Theres a a fine line between mechanical physics and gameplay, lets not forget this guys.  Perfect example of impractical physics:

By all definitions in physics, fighters would remain accelerating as long as their engines are on.  So you'd have to either cut out the thruster flames on fighters and capital ships when they're not acelerating up to speed / maneuvering, or you'd have to allow for constant and continuous aceleration, meaning fighters could go up to 8000ms just be keeping at full burn for a couple of minutes.  This is gonna have to apply to afterburners as well.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I agree.
I like realism, but everything has it's limits...especially in the game...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by LtNarol
By all definitions in physics, fighters would remain accelerating as long as their engines are on.  So you'd have to either cut out the thruster flames on fighters and capital ships when they're not acelerating up to speed / maneuvering, or you'd have to allow for constant and continuous aceleration, meaning fighters could go up to 8000ms just be keeping at full burn for a couple of minutes.  This is gonna have to apply to afterburners as well.

Well sure, why not? It's a hell of a lot harder to manouver when you're going at 8000 m/s, not to mention you'd have to spend just as much time decelerating (or turning around and hitting your burners again) in order to stop. You'd end up going out of control, so it's not like that's an advantage or disadvantage either way.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline petmar

• http://web.njit.edu/~pmm4/
You know what I want to see? I want to see a 60 klick area box stand up to a newtonian physics engine. YEAH! :lol:
"And it truly is the most godawful looking thing you will ever see in FreeSpace short of an entire TC of untextured superpowerful cubes named 'TeH DeStRoIeRR!!!!11!1!'" -- Stryke9

"There is an expanding frontier of ignorance." -- Richard Feynman

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." -- Matthew 7:7-8

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace." -- Ecclesiastes 3

Offline petmar

A bit off topic, but i do believe this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen...

the Shivan Tote Bag!!!
"And it truly is the most godawful looking thing you will ever see in FreeSpace short of an entire TC of untextured superpowerful cubes named 'TeH DeStRoIeRR!!!!11!1!'" -- Stryke9

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." -- Matthew 7:7-8

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace." -- Ecclesiastes 3

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by petmar

3. Momentum Conservation: Why doesn't the ship keep going after it's given thrust and the engines are shut down? An object in space should keep moving, and not come to a stop until a force is exerted upon it. That's classical mechanics.

Because FS ships have little blue thrusters that slow the ships down.

Don't believe me? Go have a look at the FS1 CBAni where the Poseidon picks up the shivan cargo with the shield technology in it. I couldn't believe nobody had ever noticed this when I first saw it...

BTW - don;t be rude guys - I see two newbs in this topic...

There's a whole spil that goes with this, but I can;t be screwed looking for it. Exit, Seats, Shivans Flamethrowers, Hyperintelligent shades of the colour blue etc. etc.

BTW, I'm opposed to newtonian physics myself. 'Twould just screw with the winning FS2 formula, and probably screw up the AI in the process. But if it amuses you, go ahead. Twould make the TBP people happy anyway.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 10:09:19 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline petmar

YES! We have and answer then! Thanks SO much...
That also explains the full stop option!
I think I'm going to plow through the source to see if there's a way to control that or turn it off.

Thanks again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Black Wolf
BTW, I'm opposed to newtonian physics myself. 'Twould just screw with the winning FS2 formula, and probably screw up the AI in the process. But if it amuses you, go ahead. Twould make the TBP people happy anyway.[/color]

Actually I don't think it would. :) When ever the subject of newtonian physics in TBP comes up they always say "You want newtonian physics go bug the B5:IFH team instead." :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline petmar

Realism isn't necessarily a good or bad thing... however, I believe it should be an option. We don't have that option right now, but I believe we should, and that's what I intend to do... We have the resources... All I really need is for other people who want to have that option to tell me so, and work with me.

I almost feel like putting in an obligatory "So who's with me?!" *cue crickets* here...:lol:

Either way, though... e-mail me or post to that effect if you're interested in helping... at all.

Offline petmar

And yes, I realize that though I'm a n00b, I already have some critics... And to them I say that I still enjoy arcade play... it's just that I think things are more... interesting... if they're more real.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've got to ask. Ever tried I-war or I-war II? That sounds like the kind of game you're looking for.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Get I-War 1. EoC's purty as all hell, and does some neat tricks, but the main campaign's aggravating in the designed-by-trained-chimps sense, they overimplemented 3D, and it's semi-nonlinear anyway, which makes it kinda incompatible with FreeSpace thinking...

Hmm... I could go for a GTA condom hat, would be at least an interesting conversation piece...:D

Offline petmar

stryke, did anyone ever tell you you're a tool?
Anyways... yeah... never played 'em. I just want to see what can be done with fs2 to allow for it!

Don't you love it when your sig is longer than your post? :lol:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
My tool's seven times as big as yours, and it does tricks, too.
Generally, if you want to make a game like another game, it's more efficient to just get that other game.;)

Newtonian physics are in the works, but at the moment they're too complicated and too controversial. I wouldn't mind them, either, but then there are lots of ways I'd like to see I-War's type of fighting model implemented better than it was. It would be a change that would require a change of everything else, essentially, and while that's cool it'd also mean enough of a change in gameplay that it would have to be in an optional separate strain of the SCP anyway. And hence, right now I don't think anyone's willing to do it yet. People are still basically exploring the limitations of the code and seeing how radically we can upgrade the game without having to change everything so massively.

And that generally means it's time for a sig shortening.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I am teh newbeh.
I have to agree that, for the community as a whole, the focus should be put on making Freespace better - not on creating a new game. Freespace is one type of flight sim, and this is entirely another. I enjoy both, and if we can start with FS2 and expand it so that we get not only some TCs, but indeed spinoff games, that would be a great long-term goal. But the whole source-code thing is still very new, so I emphasize long-term.
Just my $0.02
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Starks

I'm not a noob. I'm a Cadet on HLP.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there are a few things that better physics could be usefull for (like my example with kenetic weapons) but it should not dramaticly change the feel of the game
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
This isn't creating an entirely new game, this is creating a different physics engine to plug into the game. It will probably change the entire feel of it, yes, but it's not like it's manditory. It's just a fun option. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...