Author Topic: someone test this (Venom)  (Read 14749 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
someone test this (Venom)
Originally posted by KARMA
mmm it will probably also mean support for intercepting polys (althought i'd still tend to avoid them..)

on simple meshes, yeah, avoiding them would still be better, but with intersecting polys, you can save a LOT on the poly coun,t, and thus make much more detailled ships ( I could finally start doing those LOD0 meshes for the existing FS2 ships I always wanted to try - with detailled cockpits and stuff ). WIth the FOV added at the same time, as you could see the ships from closer, it would be even more interesting.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Venom, are you running the game from the launcher program? My FS2 SCP does exactly the same thing if I just double click on the Exe's icon, but works ok if I run it from the launcher.

Also, remember that LODS are still worked out as distance from ship, so we may need to adjust some of the LOD distances if we alter the FOV.

Flipside :D

Oh yes, and if you haven't eaten recently, turn it up to about 1.65 ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 07:17:32 pm by 394 »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that's disturbingly similar to my systm, does any one else have any ideas what might be causeing this, my code should be in cvs, perhaps it is in the rather crude way I go through and just see what works and what doesn't
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The wierd part is with my problem is that it works fine with a MOD object in the Tech database, works fine when playing with [v] ships only (i.e. the campaign) but crashes a few seconds after starting a mission with the Modded ship in. It's a box-standard ship with a tiny bit of Alpha-green on the front, it's a couple of pixels wide and the only reason I haven't removed it is because it's so barely noticeable that I barely notice it :D

AthlonXP1700+
GeForce4 MX
768 Mb Ram
Windows XP (hmmm... note:must try compatibility modes).

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Flipside
Venom, are you running the game from the launcher program? My FS2 SCP does exactly the same thing if I just double click on the Exe's icon, but works ok if I run it from the launcher.

Also, remember that LODS are still worked out as distance from ship, so we may need to adjust some of the LOD distances if we alter the FOV.

ah, yeah, I double-click directly on the exe. so... her... what launcher?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it works fine on mine with just running the ee, I am running it in 98 compatability mode, but I don't think tha's the problem, there is a new launcher made by RT, that you need to run the latest EXEs (includeing this one) you should gat a mesage saying that you need to run the launcher if you havn't done so yet
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Get the latest build from Phreak's siggy (see the OpenGL issue thread). That has the launcher program in it. Use that to set up the registry, and change 'FS2.EXE' to the Open_z file in the first tab :)

EDIT : I think I found what was causing the problem on mine. If I change FOV slowly, it is fine, but I think it was trying to swap between FOVS too quickly before. Have now played the level with the Mod on 0.45 view without problems :D
Heh.. I can now snipe bombs from over a km away ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 08:56:05 pm by 394 »

I got a WTF error lol....

-----------------------------code-------------

Warning: ships.tbl(1873):
Warning: Error parsing XSTR() tag XSTR("Very Poor

File:D:\FSO\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 350

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    lcl_ext_get_text()    lcl_ext_localize()    stuff_string()    parse_ship()    parse_shiptbl()    ship_init()    game_init()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 77e7eb69()

---------------code----------------------------------

whut does it mean? the debuggin went into effect, windows xp lagged like a constapated man...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, don't use the debug build with non-SCP-frendly mods.
you have somwere in your tables an xstr tag that isn't set up right.

this is pissing me off, for me this has been one of the most stable builds,
is everyone running ether the origonal files or a SCP safe mod, not that I realy think that would be the problem
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 12:17:42 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Solatar

Running version 2.1 of the Port, works absolutely perfectly.

EDIT: Haven't tried it in OpenGL yet, on Direct3D8, and Direct3D5 it works fine though. Video settings may have something to do with it.

Offline Nico

• Venom
I ran the original, there's just a pof renamed to replace the herc2, in my data folder.
SCREW CANON!

Offline J.F.K.

Well, I can't run any of this, but it looks pretty damn good.
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, someone try this, it has my changes disabled so, I'll be able to tell if it is this new change what is causeing the crash or not
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

When i ran the first FS2_OPEN_Z.exe u offered earlier, when i ran it with all my edited tbl's, etc etc etc, it didnt load up, i got the:

File:\FSO\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 350

Call stack:
lcl_ext_get_text() lcl_ext_localize() stuff_string() parse_ship() parse_shiptbl() ship_init() game_init() WinMainSub() WinMain() WinMainCRTStartup() kernel32.dll 77e7eb69()

error message.

now when i ran it on a clean fs2 copy, no extra TBL's etc., the debug was working fine, for awhile, then the thing crashed. oh and i didnt get perspective viewing to work niether.

-------------
WINXP PROF., Celeron 450MHZ, 250SDRAM, TNT2 32MEG card, very old yamaha sound card.

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
Originally posted by deep_eyes

i think its an error in the ships tbl maybe you have forgot an " behind Very Poor ?
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Tried again this morning, this time making sure everything is fresh, and it worked fine. although i was able to zoom out about 5.00 giving me a all so non-memorable effect that reminded me of being zooted off of a so-common narcotic in NY lol.... i noticed when i did the .45 zoom, it looked good, everything was closer up, and it gave it a better depth feel. but then everything is obviously too big, and looks the same, when i did the opposite, by zooming out to about 1.0, 1.45, it of course was uber-far back, but the FOV gave the arcadia a true distance look, but the surounding areas of the background looked like it was fazing left and right if i turned in those directions. OH and i didnt have the same error that whats his namehad when he zoomed in or out too fast, it just got there quick, but the number notation took a few seconds to match the true zoom.

LASTLY: IT DIDNT CRASH THIS TIME. I think it was because there wasnt alot of ships on the screen at once this time.

---------for bob------------

DBUGFILE Active: Deep As Blue 08/06/03 10:49:01
OS: Windows XP Debug, C:\Volition FS2 OpenGL\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_debug.exe
[2d.cpp,1033] About to init 102
[GrD3D.cpp,2392] gr_d3d_init start
[GrD3D.cpp,2484] Failed to create hardware vertex processing device, trying software
[GrD3D.cpp,2491] Failed to create software vertex processing device
[GrD3D.cpp,2484] Failed to create hardware vertex processing device, trying software
[GrD3D.cpp,2508] D3D_32bit 1, bits_per_pixel 32
[GrD3D.cpp,2084] Using: D3DFMT_A4R4G4B4
[GrD3D.cpp,2075] Using: D3DFMT_A1R5G5B5
[GrD3D.cpp,2206] default_32_alpha_tformat 21
[GrD3D.cpp,1081] D3D_fog_mode 1
[grd3dbmpman.cpp,  38] Setting max bitmap size 2048
[GrD3DTexture.cpp,1109] Using large textures
[GrD3DTexture.cpp,1113] Max textures: 2048 2048
[GrD3D.cpp,2025] Using: D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
[GrD3D.cpp,2586] D3d_rendition_uvs: 1
[GrD3D.cpp,2615] gr_d3d_init end
[GrD3D.cpp, 876] Number of unfreed textures 0
Normal end

-----------------YESTERDAYS CRASH BUILD--------

DBUGFILE Active: Deep As Blue 08/06/03 00:15:22
OS: Windows XP Debug, C:\Volition FS2 OpenGL\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_debug.exe
[2d.cpp,1033] About to init 102
[GrD3D.cpp,2392] gr_d3d_init start
[GrD3D.cpp,2508] D3D_32bit 1, bits_per_pixel 32
[GrD3D.cpp,2084] Using: D3DFMT_A4R4G4B4
[GrD3D.cpp,2075] Using: D3DFMT_A1R5G5B5
[GrD3D.cpp,2206] default_32_alpha_tformat 21
[GrD3D.cpp,1081] D3D_fog_mode 1
[grd3dbmpman.cpp,  38] Setting max bitmap size 2048
[GrD3DTexture.cpp,1109] Using large textures
[GrD3DTexture.cpp,1113] Max textures: 2048 2048
[GrD3D.cpp,2586] D3d_rendition_uvs: 1
[GrD3D.cpp,2615] gr_d3d_init end

...CRASH!

---------------for bob/end----------------

what does this all mean?

also... im posting pics to see what i saw.

Some that look as if they were zoomed in, are between .50 and -3.0;

the ones that look like your o bosche beer with a dose of coke, the far out zoomed looking ones, are between .45 all the way to 5.50.
-----------------------------------

+1.0

+3.5

+1.65

+5.65

+5.0

-------------END PHOTOS-------------------

THis also was compiled with i think the fs2_open_z.exe compile:

Freespace Multi Log - Closing on Wed, Aug 06, 2003  at 11:05AM
WARNING: VRAM is at -14846976 instead of zero after flushing!

(i erased most of it cause it was lagging the IE.)

------------

now goes back to corner to sober up....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 01:32:36 pm by 382 »

what i just also noticed is that in that long ass piece of code i just posted,it like thru all my personal information online lol...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
can you just delete the debug spew output?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Out of curiosity, what's the default zoom for FS2?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
.75 or about 50 degrees x2 = 100 deg
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord