Author Topic: someone test this (Venom)  (Read 14750 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
someone test this (Venom)
Hmmmmmmm... that means ideal setting (for the human eye) would be around 0.5. I quite like the idea of a 'sniper' mode for FS2 ships though ;)

Flipside :)

Originally posted by Flipside
Hmmmmmmm... that means ideal setting (for the human eye) would be around 0.5. I quite like the idea of a 'sniper' mode for FS2 ships though ;)

i think in some cases, a 1.0 zoom is better then the .45, but i dunno. maybe this could be implemented as a standard view point someday?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, the human eye can actually see for around 120 degrees, but the brain only really registers whats in the central 60-90 :)

You could have multiple view settings, tactical, standard and intercept :D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Whatever you do, don't set it to negative! That was the strangest thing I had ever seen...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
Whatever you do, don't set it to negative! That was the strangest thing I had ever seen...

ROFL!!

Anyway, now that I think about the gameplay in XWA (which was at the approximate equivalent of a 0.45-0.5 FS2 zoom factor), I remember that those pesky TIEs would fly off-screen quite easily, something that will now happen in the lowered viewing angle in FS2.

Can someone please take a screenshot at 0.45 of an Arcadia with a Herc I in the hexagonal hole, from far enough away to be able to see the central section of the Arcadia?

Also, if anyone from the SWTC has the FOV MOD working (or just anyone with a 1.6Km ISD in-game - heck, even a custom-made delta in the approximate shape would do, as long as the size is correct), could you take a screenie of an ISD with a Deimos on one side and an Orion on the other, from somewhere above and in front of the ships?

Thanks. :yes: ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Not exactly what you wanted...

I was about 12 clicks from the Col in that last pic, 1000 from the typhon (Imagine what it looked like when it first appeared in the T-V war...) and 6k from the front of the sath...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Argh... the black! The blaaaack!!!

I've brightened the best pictues:

Colossus at 4km:

Colossus at 12km (!!!):

Sathanas at 6km (!!!!!!!!!):

*drool*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by Flipside
Well, the human eye can actually see for around 120 degrees, but the brain only really registers whats in the central 60-90 :)

You could have multiple view settings, tactical, standard and intercept :D

actually human eyes' fov is little more than 180° on the horizontal plane, with the external area that works better than the inner for nightvision, but has problems discriminating colours and has also a very low vision quality, since vision get more blurry the more you get close to the limits of your fov.
The 120° you are talking about is iirc the area of best vision, the area where you don't move instinctively eyes/head to recognize an object.
Obviously a game fov should probably be even more narrow, since the monitor is little far from your viewpoint and is smaller than your natural fov

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
That's too bright sandy... Turn up the contrast on your monitor, or stop letting Adobe change your gamma.

Offline diamondgeezer

Oo, those pics look... odd... but promsing :nod:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
That's too bright sandy... Turn up the contrast on your monitor, or stop letting Adobe change your gamma.

Why do you assume that the over-brightness of those pictures looks normal on my monitor? It's the content of the images, not the quality or realisim, that is the point here. ;)

me thinks a +1.0 zoom is a wee bit better the .45, only cause it gives the ships some actual depth look and feel, rather then zooming into the hud for the same effect- its hella hard to shoot things now!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
...Ehh...

Personal Preference. It does make it harder, but that's not a problem for everyone.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Originally posted by deep_eyes
me thinks a +1.0 zoom is a wee bit better the .45, only cause it gives the ships some actual depth look and feel, rather then zooming into the hud for the same effect- its hella hard to shoot things now!

this is what I was talking about when I said it wasn't doing what I thought it would
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
actually human eyes' fov is little more than 180° on the horizontal plane, with the external area that works better than the inner for nightvision, but has problems discriminating colours and has also a very low vision quality, since vision get more blurry the more you get close to the limits of your fov.

I stand corrected, that's what you get for posting last thing at night ;)

Yep, I think an approx area of about 120% is probably about right, and I know I've said this a few times, but I still think it would be good to have...

1) Tactical view - Setting of 1.0 - Can't shoot much, but can see plenty.
2) Standard view - 0.75 Can see less, but targetting is easier.
3) Intercept view - 0.50 Poor viewing, but exceptional spot-targetting.

Even modern fighter HUDS have this capability to a certain degree.

Offline RandomTiger

Put DX8 debug up to max and it breaks with this comment:

DepthStencil Format is not supported for this Adapter/DevType/AdapterFormat. This error can happen if the application has not successfully called CheckDeviceFormats on the specified Format prior to calling CheckDepthStencilMatch. The application is advised to call CheckDeviceFormats on this format first, because a success return from CheckDepthStencilMatch does not guarantee that the format is valid as a DepthStencil buffer for all possible cases i.e. D3DRTYPE_TEXTURE or D3DRTYPE_SURFACE or D3DRTYPE_CUBETEXTURE.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
ok, since I can't test it myself, could someone do it for me?

http://www.swooh.com/premium/venom/FS2files/AFtest.zip

I'd like to see screenshots of the F22, that's my own personal clipping benchmark :p ( look at the cockpit and the engine outlets with the regular FS2 exe and you'll understand ).
If someone could do this, it would be much appreciated.
SCREW CANON!

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
works in OpenGL

thats a nice model
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Who lives closest to Bobboau? This one deserves at least a pint! :D

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
more than a pint!
an applause from the :V: dev team mabey???
or just a pat on the back from them perhpas?

For EVERYONE that does really good ingenius stuff on the SCP!

:yes:
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed