Author Topic: someone test this (Venom)  (Read 14748 times)

Offline RandomTiger

someone test this (Venom)
!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Bobboau
I think the code would handle the Nvidia problem, but I'm not sure, someone with a nvidia card tell me if it's working for you.

The EXE works for me (GeForce3 TI200), but I haven't tried any of the extras beyond the view zoom factor - were you talking about the transparency thing?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Bobboau
it makes a texture use additive alpha
but it uses the post lit values, so a polygon that is totaly un lit would be nearly 100% transparent even if the color of the texture was bright there
this isn't like glow maps, it is just something you put into a texture name so it is rendered diferent

I... I didn't understand anything :shaking:
SCREW CANON!

Does this fix also stop beams from being mis-rendered?

Sid.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Venom

I... I didn't understand anything :shaking:

Same here... :confused:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
He means you can render it translucent, but you cannot add translucent 'parts' to a solid texture. So the game ONLY reads the -trans texture, unlike a glowmap, where it adds the -glow texture to the solid texture.

I think.

Flipside :)

One little question, when defining the textures in tables, do you need to add the -trans to the name? I know you don't with glowmaps, but this thing seems to work a little differently?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2003, 07:52:33 am by 394 »

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
was bob saying the more light on a texture (-trans) the less transparent it is???

if that is the case... sun glare effects on windows:cool: :lol:
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you know the -trans tag is kind of hard to explain, just edit a pof and tack -trans to the end of one of the textures, also change the name of the texture to match this, and see what it does in game :)

and RT is the latest EXE still doing that? I removed the stencle formats becase they wern't needed (I realy had no good reason to try them in the first place, just threw everything in there I guess) so I don't think it should still be giveing that error
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline RandomTiger

Not yet. Will do.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just a thought Bobb, if you made that a multiply function instead of an add, and made it as an overlay instead of the main texture, you could do some pretty groovy stuff ;)

Flipside

Edit : And if you could do it as an ANI file... Well, Nebula here we come ;)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
all the -trans tag does is sets the alpha blend flag in the rendering options of a polygon, this leats to some interesting effects but it realy isn't very advanced, I think it's similar to what happens with phreaks cloak code (minus the animated texture overlay)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
ehm, but just to have an idea, what you mean with post lit values of a poly?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It means 'after the lighting has been calculated'. So although the polys are additive, they will still be darker when facing away from the sun. This is a bit odd from the point of view of a computer game, since additive graphics are often used for special effects...
An additive texture works, quite literally, by adding it's colour values to what is already there, making a sort of semi seethough texture, but as Bobboau points out, the uses are somewhat limited because of the lighting thing. Of course, for things like glass etc, this may even be considered better, I'm not certain though, I personally would still love to see spherical chroming on cockpits ;)

Flipside

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
ahhh ok, I didn't understand, I thought it was something you have to do to set transparency.
so, if I've correctly understood, you set a trans- texture that will be used for alpha info, the darker the more transparent, but the transparency level will depend by bright level of the poly, caused by texture+ingame illumination.
last question: it isn't like a glowmap, you don't have a second texture that will be rendered in the high opacity areas, so what will happen when opacity is high? how will be rendered the poly? it will be like if only the bright (not considering the ingame light) parts of the textures are applyed?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ya sort of, just try it, anyway are people still haveing troble with this exe opening, anyone have any odd sound things like venom was?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
PIII 866 Mhz
256 MB RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Win XP Home

The exe won't work. When I click it or try to run it from the launcher I just get an hourglass and the processor clicks for a while, then nothing. I have the graphics set to DirectX 8 on the launcher
EDIT: Direct3D 8 not DirectX 8
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 04:49:36 pm by 1172 »
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."