Author Topic: ANI File Formats  (Read 14745 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is on topic.  I'm simply pointing out that the benefits of a new ANI format extend much further than just cbanis.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Regardless, even if a new ANI format has uses, for these, isn't an existing format acceptable?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The existing formats are tolerable. ANI format is incredibly limiting because of the 256 colors issue. EFF doesn't stream and it isn't a container. This isn't a problem until you get to something like FSPort where we have over over 80 hi-res cb_anims alone. Do YOU want to pack a VP with literally THOUSANDS of image files and try to navigate that? Me either. Not to mention the performance issues that Goober mentioned...

The other issues is filesize. Neither of these formats are good for reducing file size. FSPort is passing 1.2 GB of cb_anim data with another 35 ANIs left to hi-res-ify... This means we have FOUR VPs dedicated to nothing but cb anis...

So, to answer the general question.. yes, what we have works. But from an organizational and purely filesize viewpoint, they are hardly ideal.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nighteyes

is the fact that EFFs don't stream such a big issue? what kind of performance does a menu screen need? IIRC when the actual mission loads all memory is cleared...(cbanims frames don't count to the total frames allowed to be used in a mission)
I do agree that a new ANI format would be a welcome addition, or even just using compressed video files that can loop... it will kill the alpha channel but even that can be "hacked" by just using the interface background as part of the video

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well I meant isn't Ogg capable in some of those situations where streaming is needed.  But also, there's this discussion about the EFF container upgrade that's also slotted for an antipodes run, but I don't think it's progressed past draft stage yet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I can't see that link.. must be SCP Internal... care to summarize? Also, who do I need to pay off to get that moving along? :nervous:

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I can't see that link.. must be SCP Internal... care to summarize? Also, who do I need to pay off to get that moving along? :nervous:
Yes it is in SCP Internal.  It is a technical discussion about Flaming_Sword's proposed container for EFF.  I would make the proposal link available but I don't know if he wants it spread around.  Basically it is a Tag Length Value based file format (same file layout that png uses) that moves all of the current EFF data into one file and allows for streaming.

Flaming Sword would be the one to bribe.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
EFF still doesn't have any kind of video interlacing, though. Each frame is individually compressed, but if a frame is nearly identical to the one before it, there's no way for it to be reduced in filesize.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I would rather have it than nothing... At least with an EFF container we wouldn't have the 256 color limit...

Flaming Sword: name your price...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:50:54 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you need interlacing, why not use Ogg?  Leave streaming EFF for instances where that won't matter, if we ever get it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Cause there are a ton of obstacles involved in making OGG (or any movie) work within the FS2 interface.

Provided the new container format can use PNG and DDS, we may find that interlacing isn't that critical.  Even more so if it uses run-length-encoding for identical frames.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Provided the new container format can use PNG and DDS, we may find that interlacing isn't that critical.  Even more so if it uses run-length-encoding for identical frames.
Well, if I recall correctly, PNG is actually a rather stable format from the point of view the pattern of the bits on the disk, which if I am in fact recalling correctly, means that interfame compression would be actually fairly trivial to manage, resulting in something akin to what ANI does to PCX.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Cause there are a ton of obstacles involved in making OGG (or any movie) work within the FS2 interface.

I think Goober is missing the point:
What mjn.mixael wants is not an all around support for OGG in the interface, but OGG support for command briefings... or if I take your words literally , then the implementation of *any* windowed playback is hard.

Also chief had a really good suggestion that was ignored by everyone: use ffvp8. It's the closest thing the engine could have to h264 support and since it's Google's baby there's bound to be tons of support for it. He specifically suggested ffmpeg, an LGPL implementation that *can* be used under the SCP license.

Sadly Theora seems to be going the way of the ".ogm" container or the "ungraded" avi once pushed by the makers of Virtual Dub. It's simply not adopted widely enough for there to be support. FFmpeg on the other hand is widely used (even in the acclaimed CCCP), is multi platform and has modern format support.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Flaser, the command briefing is part of the interface. :p  And note that I said any movie.  This includes ffmpeg, ffvp8, and h264.

First of all, you have size restrictions.  Theora frames need to have dimensions that are multiples of 16, so right off the bat you won't be getting an exact match to the cbani drawing area.  Second of all, you're going to run into trouble painting the movie on top of the interface because it's designed to play on its own, either in a window or full-screen, and you'd have to develop some sort of matte system.  Third of all, the movie playing code operates in its own code module with its own drawing routines, which are not going to play at all nicely with the main game code and its drawing routines.  Fourth of all, decoding of any movie format is based on the encoded timer, not the timer used by the game loop, so you'd have to keep the movie code in its own separate thread and deal with the huge synchronization can of worms that that opens.

I can tell you right now that your efforts are going to be much better spent developing the next-generation ANI container format.  I can't stop someone from going down the movie playing rabbit hole if he really wants to, but I fully expect him to burn himself out proving that it doesn't work, and then we'll have wasted energy, time, and effort that could have been spent more productively elsewhere.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm actually with Goober on this one. The more we discuss it, the more I like the idea of the EFF container.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Good, thanks for actually explaining why it would be difficult to do.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right. Now that Goober explained to us why it'll be difficult to get movie playback more useful, let's get down to the business of making new anis. Does anyone have a design for a new ani format we can use?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Wasn't that what was in the draft I linked?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
TLV files, as explained there, are functionally equivalent to vp files. They do not have any of the video compression features we may want in a hi-colour ani.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ah.  Well, knock yourselves out then :)