Author Topic: Is It Possible To Use The Knossos Luncher Offline?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Is It Possible To Use The Knossos Luncher Offline?
My situation is stranger than the rest of the people here. I have no direct internet access to my PC... and it is not possible. The only internet access I have is through my smart phone.

I tried downloading Knossos (using my phone) and installed it in my PC. It didn't work because it needs to be updated and the internet is required. I don't know how to install my mod and the new MVPs manually. Knossos does not advice this, this I understand.

I needed the latest FSO version and MVPs to update my mods (a complete overhaul) since my mods are already 7 years old and still using FSO 3.7.2

My Question, is there some way to use Knossos offline? More importantly, how can I use the latest FSO version and MVPs other than Knossos without the internet?

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Is It Possible To Use The Knossos Luncher Offline?
Once set up and installed, Knossos will be fully operational offline. After that, you can manually download FSO builds and link mods to them, as well as install actual mods by just downloading their files externally and placing them in proper directories in Knossos mod library, as well as getting mod.json files for said mods from somewhere, but that's not a big concern.

But before we start fiddling with all that, let me just ask you a question - have you tried using your phone as an internet access device? Back in the day I was in a similar situation and I was using the 'tethering' function in my phone all the time to access the Internet from my PC via a USB cable. There also should be a "hot-spot" function in basically every smartphone, setting up a wifi network with access to the Internet.
There's also an issue of what does your mobile data plan look like. With how chonky modern MediaVPs are, you might get into some serious internet access costs... I've updated MediaVPs just yesterday, and it was a 10GB download. Also Knossos tends to refresh its mod list file (>200MB at this point) quite frequently.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
You can download the files for each mod availible on Knossos via this page:

https://fsnebula.org/mods

To integrate them into Knossos you will have to make the appropriate folders and mod.jsons manually, if you cannot have Knossos online.

Note, that for FSO you you can only get the latest Nightly version as far as I can tell.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can download the files for each mod availible on Knossos via this page:

https://fsnebula.org/mods

To integrate them into Knossos you will have to make the appropriate folders and mod.jsons manually, if you cannot have Knossos online.

Note, that for FSO you you can only get the latest Nightly version as far as I can tell.

You can get any mod version by appending it to the URL like so.

https://fsnebula.org/mod/FSO/22.0.0
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks for the help, Mito, MJN  and Orph3us. I will try them.

I can download anything through my phone (a 1GB file takes about 10 minutes). It is also through this phone I upload my mod updates.

My mobile plan is "prepaid," I buy prepaid cards to top up my phone then use that money to buy internet data (gigabytes). Minimum subscription is 100 pesos (2 dollars) which is worth 6 gigabytes. So 10 gigs is 200 pesos. No problem.

EDIT: Oh, I don't know how to tether my Phone and my PC.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 08:50:13 pm by herkie423 »

You should be able to turn on the "hot spot" feature on your phone where it broadcasts a short-range wifi signal that will show up on your computer's list of available wifi networks.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
You should be able to turn on the "hot spot" feature on your phone where it broadcasts a short-range wifi signal that will show up on your computer's list of available wifi networks.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I'm not using a laptop which has built in WIFI. I'm using PC desktop without a WIFI receiver.

Offline Mito [PL]

You'd need to try tethering your phone to your computer via USB. The procedure will be likely different in different phone models, so you'd need to try googling for whether your phone is capable of such and how to enable this functionality.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
You'd need to try tethering your phone to your computer via USB. The procedure will be likely different in different phone models, so you'd need to try googling for whether your phone is capable of such and how to enable this functionality.

Ok. I will try that. If this works, this will be awesome. I know this possible with a laptop. My phone is Samsung Galaxy A22.

If I get this to work and have the Knossos plus the new FSO and MVPs, my mods, AFR and TBG, will have a complete overhaul. I will be back to modding again.

Thanks, Mito. I Appreciate it.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Jesus Christ! There it is! ... "Mobile Hotspot and Tethering." I've been using smartphones for 10 years now and it's right in front of me this whole time! The option is there. Damn!

Now, I got to get this thing working. This is new for me. Thaaank yooou, Mito. 😀 😃 🙂

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Herkie, let me know when you get a Knossos account setup. I will add you as a mod author for the Aftermath campaigns on Knossos so you can take them over and upload as you want.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Herkie, let me know when you get a Knossos account setup. I will add you as a mod author for the Aftermath campaigns on Knossos so you can take them over and upload as you want.

Thank you very much, MJN.

EDIT: I will send you a PM if I do.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 04:22:50 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
BAD NEWS

I can't get the Phone to PC USB tethering to work! For internet connection. According to SamSung, it is very easy. Bull****.

I spent hours tinkering with my PC, my phone, searching in Google for instructions and fixes. None of them work.

Damn, I must be in a parallel universe where everything doesn't work.

I give up... I guess Knossos is not for me. :(  :banghead: :mad:

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Sorry, MJN.

I guess I can't get that Knossos account set up. My PC is wierd. Everything in my universe is wierd.

Offline Mito [PL]

Now, could you describe exactly what is the issue that you're facing? Have you followed, for example this tutorial?

There's an alternative though, you could just get a second-hand USB WiFi receiver for your computer. They should be rather cheap, especially used.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
That is the exact tutorial I followed (and 7 others). I consulted my phone's manual (not really helpful). As to WIFI, I am really far from my nearest neighbor and don't want to share their access with me.

So my only option is to maually install Knossos and the new FSOs. And then to manually install my mod. I don't exactly know this method. The last time I tried (2 years ago), it didn't work.

Can someone give a step by step instruction to manually do this?

Offline Mito [PL]

Yeah. Unfortunately, I'm not using a laptop which has built in WIFI. I'm using PC desktop without a WIFI receiver.

My suggestion of a small USB WiFi card was in response to this issue. What do you think?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Ok. My only option right now is manually install Knossos, the new FSO, and mods. Can someone give me a step by step instruction?

Offline CT27

I can't be too much help because I'm not using Knossos right now, but like I said on FB:

https://fsnebula.org/knossos/
This has the download link and instructions for Knossos.

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94068.0
This is the Knossos release thread here on HLP.  It has advice for using/installing Knossos.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I have downloaded the latest Knossos and I have downloaded the huge MVPs separately using my phone (mobile internet).

I have installed Knossos. Now, how will I manually install the new MVPs and my mod? What folder will I place them in? How will I make a mod.json file and where will I place it?