Author Topic: Boomerang  (Read 11582 times)

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
*slowly piviots to the guy flying next to him and lets go a double helios* ;)

*slowly piviots to the guy flying next to him and lets go a double inferno* :ha:

His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
*slowly pivots to the guy flying next to him and lets go a BFred* :lol:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Alright guys, this is a dev thread, enough screwing around please.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

sorry, i didn't intend to start that

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ehm...I think I'm done with TR(until now). What should I do for Boomerang, exactly? ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
feedback, feedback feedback. :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
OK; as I just posted in the Warzone thread my game time is limited so for the moment, the only FSCRP project I'll be able to work on is Warzone.  When that changes, I'll post some work in here.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline rbxplayer

• A bit tight with RL at the moment
Admiral,

Testing Boomerang

Operating system:
AMD Athlon64 4200 2.20GHz dual processor, 2GB ram, Vista 32-bit Home edition

Procedure:
1) I installed everything from scratch with Turey's installer with mediavps version 3.6.10
2) Opened a new folder - Boomerang
3) I copied a mod.ini file from the JAD campaign available with the installer and edited for Boomerang

Issues
1) The ships are not updated with the latest designs shown in the thread of the 3.6.10 release. They are like the retail freespace, ie worse than 3.6.9. If such designs are 'Mod dependent', can include them in the installation of Boomerang? [if you need an ingame screenshot or of the ship selection page, please show me how (I will then create a testing faq on www.squidoo.com/freespace2)

2) If the new version needs a mod.ini file, this should be part of the installation and not need further action by who downloads the file. If I am not mistaken, the new 'trend' is to use folders...

3) I have voice acting during the game but not in the mission briefings. Did I do something wrong? I just unzipped all the Boomerang zip file contents in a Boomerang folder

Story line

I will update this in the next days since I am pressed with time and only played the first level on 'Medium' difficulty

Further to Fabian's ideas;

1) Introduction
a. I love it when in the campaign briefings, they specify a specific year. That way I try to play the campaigns in chronological order... it really helps you get that necessary historical background of what is going on in the Freespace universe...
b. Who am I? A new recruit, a mercenary, a vasudan helping out humans, a seasoned pilot given some routine patrol for some rest, a demotivated pilot? etc
c. Where am I stationed?

2) First mission
a. Debriefing is short but it would be ok if there is a decent introduction.
b. I found the objectives reasonable. If a secondary objective cannot be reached, it is also part of the storyline. Actually, you could have a campaign where you constantly fail your primary objective and the story moves on... you will be completely lost... ie similar to Sync...

3) Convoy protection concept... I will create a separate thread in Gaming discussion...
Ijja l-mewt li taghmilna bnedmin jew l-imhabba?

Offline rbxplayer

Final review of Boomerang.

BTW. I managed to sort out the issue of the mod.ini file and the graphics. Oops, I did not realise that Turey's 3.6.10 was the build and not the MVPs... LOL Anyway...

- 2nd mission:

1)  I managed to save GTVI Installation to the bombers and the beam cannons of the SC Sciva, with Medium difficulty. Secret is using trebuchet missiles...

2) I agree with Fabian, with regards to the  mining vessels getting "objective accomplished" when they were still in transit.

3) The mission should be a failure if the installation gets destroyed.

- Last mission:

Too easy. I literrally barely moved and took out everything through trebuchets... timing was ok because I destroyed the sentry guns...

I will here past in Fabian's comments cause I totally agree...

But then the "friends" together with all vulnerable freighters arrived and were put into pieces by the beam cannons ... Especially the lower hull transports.

That did not make any sense at all to me ... I mean its okay that they arrive to help and that they could not just leave the transports behind, but anyway a huge risk of all goals of the first mission.

Perhaps have them arrive after all beam cannons are destroyed.

In the debriefing was nothing about the destroyed "friends". If I had gotten this order earlier to put out the beam cannons they might have lived.

Another thing: There are enough bomber wings to take out those three cruisers, but when Gemini jumps in, they especially destroy the fighters.

It makes no sense at all to have the bomber wings sitting there like sitting ducks and have them not even protected by the other fighter wings or let them attack if you want to suicide them.

Either return them to the destroyer or assign the fighter wings to protect the bomber wings instead of assigning all to defend the GTD Blair.

Also all debriefings are very short and miss some "feeling" ...

Offline rbxplayer

Admiral,

1) Any updates on the campaign?

2) I am considering including my input as a voice actor. I am a complete newbie. Thought I would start with a short campaign like Boomerang. Do you have the text lines in a word doc for me to practice?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I did over Pandora's Box, now perhaps to finish this.  There is no further voice acting needed for Boomerang.  You should PM Tinman and get some smallish lines for Warzone.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Which year does this campaign  take place, please ? I am trying to put the campaigns in chronological order for the Wiki.