Author Topic: Unholy Alliance update to SCP please  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Unholy Alliance update to SCP please
That'd be a problem...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline NathanP

Hi

New here but i've been playing FS2 retail for 8 years now.  I've got a fair few old campaigns off the net over the years including this one.  I don't mind doing all the spell and grammar checking but that is the limit of my skills with fred 2.

Let me know if you want me to carry on - i've already done 3 missions and i'll post the updated vp up when finished.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
:welcomesilver:

Welcome to the HLPBB!!! :D

Go ahead and let us know about your progress... ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline NathanP

:bump:

Ok a progress update,  i've been through the files twice now to correct all the spelling & grammar and i'm nearly finished - i keep finding the odd one that i've missed.  I have a problem with mission's 43 & 44 though - it keeps telling me that i'm missing some mssion/ship data - i'll work on this over the next couple of weeks to see if i can sort it, i also need to patch admiral nelsons updated table files into the vp and test a few missions to make sure i haven't broken something else, then i'll get it uploaded - hopefully by the end of may

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Shouldn't we work together on it? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
What does the error about missing some ship/mission data say though?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
There is also a campaign called League of Free Worlds that uses the UA mods that we might also want to take a look at.  There was also a problem with the Ships table and the
Q-W-G bomb.  I think it wasn't included as an allowed weapon for the bomber.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
League of Free Worlds? From Colony Wars...?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline NathanP

Shouldn't we work together on it? :)

Sure - no problem at all but my fredding skills are extremely limited, by way of using admiral nelson patched table files i meant that i was using my original file from volition watch back from 2000 and hadn't seen that he had dome some table fixes to help improve stability back in april last year.

IIRC this alpha was incomplete in terms of the number of missions i thought i remebered reading that it was supposed to be 68 missions long - is this true or did the campaign get cut short, either way we have a lot of work to do to get this stable and ready for release.

Offline NathanP

What does the error about missing some ship/mission data say though?

Not a lot i'm afraid its comes up with the brief message about "Fred encountered unknown ship/weapon classes when parsing the mission file. this may be due to mission data you do not have".  I looked at the missions with notepad and alpha wing is supposed to be flying a new class of fighter - the GTF ferret but there is no model or table entry in the vp for it so that would all need to be recreated from scratch.

With regards to the table problems - i found them hit and miss, if you tinkered with the tbl files in any way (eg added ships/weapons from several mods into one master file) you never got the fighter laser, tactical laser or Q-W-G bomb but if you used a vanilla set from the UA vp you sometimes got lucky but there were no guarantees either way, some times you did, sometimes you didn't and sometimes the game threw a hissy fit and dumped you back at the desktop.

Other problems i have encountered are mainly limited to goals so far - a lot of missions don't have any secondary or bonus goals - not sure if this was intentional or they were due to be added as the mod neared completion.  There is also mention of some UA voice files in some of the briefing dialog boxes and i can't locate them anywhere either.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
League of Free Worlds? From Colony Wars...?

I don't know.  I never played Colony Wars but here is the Info from the campaign.
Part 1. Gallonigher system.  Since 3095 AD, the Earth empire has spread throughout the universe like a sickness. No planet or lifeform is immune to this disease; indeed, vast tracts of the universe have already been renderd sterile by its progress.  The empire's power is formidable.  Dedicated to sustaining life on earth.  it has colonised planet after planet with scant regard to the freedom of the local population or the well-being of the environment. Vicious methods are employed in persuit of this relentless expansion; this has resulted in widespread famine, drought and death.  The League Of Free Worlds exists to offer resistance and hope.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline NathanP

MAJOR  :bump:

I've finished as much as i can and have play tested the first 4 missions which seem to be a lot more stable these days (probably thanks to admiral nelson's work on the tables).  I've been through the missions at least 5 times now so there shouldn't be any errors in spelling/grammar.
Now the hard bit - i've tried uploading the file to freespacemods.net 4 times but it still hasn't shown up as a download - i don't think i've done anything wrong but does anyone else want to try - i can send them the file but be warned its a 5meg rar with the vp pack included