Hosted Projects - Standalone > Wing Commander Saga

I need help to add little improvements for our translation project

(1/4) > >>

Luke:
Hi all

I don't want to "hijack" Matth's WCS Open Thread so i wrote my own thread.

In Matth's thread i saw some interesting improvements to WCS and i plan to add a few of this in our german translation mod. But only things i can do with the original WCS build. We must discuss this in the team, but first i need to know which of them we can add with the original WCS and how.

@X3N0-Life-Form
I read about your WCS upgrade archive, downloaded it and have done some tests on it. Very interesting.

Two things i want to add in our own project:

1. Mission goal tooltips (green text). That's nice. Is it possible to use this in every mission?
2. Skippable dialogs. I saw you use this at the main mission #3 first. Is it possible to add this feature in all missions? Also in the prologue? And: is there any danger for breaking the mission flow with this feature?

And i want to add another new feature:

3. In WCS after every mission the next mission will start automatically. For several reasons i don't want this. Is it possible that WCS returns to the flightdeck after a mission is completed and accepted? But not for all, only on specific missions.

The E:

--- Quote from: Luke on August 28, 2013, 06:33:20 am ---1. Mission goal tooltips (green text). That's nice. Is it possible to use this in every mission?
--- End quote ---

Yes. Just requires a lot of mission editing.

--- Quote ---2. Skippable dialogs. I saw you use this at the main mission #3 first. Is it possible to add this feature in all missions? Also in the prologue? And: is there any danger for breaking the mission flow with this feature?
--- End quote ---

Also yes. Requires mission editing and bugtesting on top.

--- Quote ---3. In WCS after every mission the next mission will start automatically. For several reasons i don't want this. Is it possible that WCS returns to the flightdeck after a mission is completed and accepted? But not for all, only on specific missions.

--- End quote ---

Nope, not gonna happen anytime soon. Reason being that this is not something FSO is set up to do. You could hack around it by splitting up the main campaign into separate chunks (after you complete a campaign, a return to the mainhall is automatic), but this is obviously very clunky.

In short, you definitely need someone who has or is willing to learn mission editing skills if you want to do this.

Luke:

--- Quote from: The E on August 28, 2013, 07:09:46 am ---Nope, not gonna happen anytime soon. Reason being that this is not something FSO is set up to do. You could hack around it by splitting up the main campaign into separate chunks (after you complete a campaign, a return to the mainhall is automatic), but this is obviously very clunky.
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Ok, i remove this from my wish-list. Thx anyway.  :)

--- Quote ---In short, you definitely need someone who has or is willing to learn mission editing skills if you want to do this.
--- End quote ---

"Someone" is me.  ;) I learned the last months all what i need to integrate our complete translation in WCS plus a few little improvements, but not more. In this Video (german) i documented my current work on Prolog 1 as example. I changed all Fiction Viewer texts (horizontal limit), added the briefing-text-section (not available in original WCS) and fixed some problems with the german language like wrong text positions on the config screens etc. So if i want to change or add a detail, i learn what i need for it by testing or by asking. ^^

The E:
For all tasks involving the mission editor, I strongly recommend following the original FRED tutorial (Or Diaspora's more recent version, if you do not have FS2 installed). Everything you need to know about basic mission editing is covered there.

X3N0-Life-Form:
The E answered most of your questions already.
Regarding 1): Directive tooltips are very easy to add. If you look at the event editor in FRED, there are two textboxes underneath the event list, these allow you to add a directive text to an event and a tooltip that disappears when the event turns true or false.

Regarding 2): Dialgue skips aren't very difficult to implement, but are a bit tedious. Basically, you want to 'unroll' the message list event into a bunch of individual message event, each of these being played if a) the first message in the chain has been played and b) the player hasn't pressed the skip dialogue key - I used the warp out key for that (alt+J).
You need to reset your skip dialogue key at the beginning of a new list of message (using the key-reset-multiple SEXP), and possibly tell the player that s/he can skip the dialogue via a training message.
Finally, you need to insert an 'or' logical condition in the event that is supposed to be played at the end of the message list, one of the or's cue being the original event's cue. The other cue is that both the first message has been played and that the skip dialogue key has been pressed.

If you want to see what this looks like, look at, for instance, mission 20, the event M_Avatarr 1 to Moran 1 and each event chained to it and the Activate Nav 1 event, then compare it to the original mission 20.

If you want an overview of the what else has been modified, have a look at the TODO-list.ods spreadsheet, it should give you a list of generic modifications, modification ideas, per mission alterations and what dialogues are skippable, and possibly a bunch of silly comments :P.

I've added dialogue skips to all but a few missions at the end of the game, and tested most of those at least once (skips at the end of long missions are less likely to have been tested). So yeah, it would require a lot more testing before I'm confortable with making a "dialogue skip" release - nevermind the other stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version