FreeSpace Releases > Asset Releases

[RELEASE] GVD Nehebkau

<< < (3/3)

Vidmaster:

--- Quote from: Nyctaeus on April 15, 2022, 08:32:50 am ---May I ask for some more details, or this is super-secret stuff :]?
--- End quote ---

I am doing the Freespace 2 Addon that never was. Similar in style and length to something like Silent Threat Reborn. Vanilla-level gameplay, no super fancy scripting or Blue Planet-levels of features.
(And if I ever EVER finish that, my sights are set on what every fredder does eventually: making my-personal-Freespace-3-but-of-course-I-do-not-name-it-like-that thingy).

Your Nehebkau solves my Vasudan-problem, as I need a recognizable, unique and interesting vessel for the plot to work that is still in FS2-style. Think Icini, though not on this level. In the lore, the first of her clas was actually under construction during the events of FS2 but had not yet entered service. The Hedetet is okay-ish but I did have other plans for that model.

Anyway, it prouds me to say that I seem to have story ideas mostly unexplored by the community thus far, which was quite a surprise to me when I started laying down the details 5 years ago. I mean, I joined HLP in 2006 and FS2 was already old at that point  :lol:. Now, I am old and FS2 is looking younger than me thanks to the MediaVPs  ;) .

Anyway, do not get your hopes up for a quick release of said project, time is scarce nowadays. I can write and I can FRED but I never had much interest in 3D modelling or texture work, as such I am always dependent on great releases like this. Basically, I scour this list every half year :nod: ...

Nyctaeus:
You know... Feel free to ask :].

Neheb was born from my desire to improve my vasudan modelling/texturing, but also from listening to the needs of the community. My time is very limited, but still I try to supply the HLP with the assets the potential modmakers may find useful. I have large amounts of resources and equally vast capabilities. I can't really take requests, but... If you need something, you know where to find me. I often spontaneously contribute stuff. FSwiki list is rarely being maintained.

Also I'm glad to hear from a man of your experience and proficiency at modmaking, that this asset feels FS2 and meets the standard of proper vasudan destroyer. I'm veteran modeller, but Nehebkau is my first, real vasudan asset [and I set the bar high for myself, lel]. Also and it diverges from standard vasudan shapes. I wanted to offset some unorthodox artistic decisions, by closely following Hatshepsut style of texturing. It was a journey into the unknown, but looks like it's a successful one.

Looking forward for potential news about your work :yes:. Despite the fact that I'm not really into TBP much, Fortune Hunters trillogy was one of the best campaigns I ever played in this community, so I expect nothing but excellence from your upcoming projects :].

Vidmaster:

--- Quote from: Nyctaeus on April 17, 2022, 09:59:51 pm ---I'm veteran modeller, but Nehebkau is my first, real vasudan asset [and I set the bar high for myself, lel]. Also and it diverges from standard vasudan shapes. I wanted to offset some unorthodox artistic decisions, by closely following Hatshepsut style of texturing. It was a journey into the unknown, but looks like it's a successful one.

--- End quote ---

I think it looks good. It looks a generation ahead, post-Capella. Like I said, I really like it. My biggest critismn would be the fighter-bay tube, which literally "sticks out" but that also has its advantages.

--- Quote from: Nyctaeus on April 17, 2022, 09:59:51 pm ---Despite the fact that I'm not really into TBP much, Fortune Hunters trillogy was one of the best campaigns I ever played in this community, so I expect nothing but excellence from your upcoming projects :].

--- End quote ---
That is high praise, especially considering that I think its overambitious for my capabilties as a game designer back then, full of typos and bugs and has some really weak missions. I was so inexperienced back then... on the other hand, I was half as old. The only thing it really has going for it are the general ideas in the story (not the exact dialog or its execution), but the story's notes are good. This is what I am still proud of, the ideas in that fan fiction.
From riding side-by-side with established canon to some of the more mature themes, like the fact that not everyone will make it out alive. But gameplay-wise, I just threw **** at the fan in retrospect. I was young, I had good ideas and enthusiasm but lacked the designer skill to really bring them to fruition. That these campaigns are fondly remembered by some is giving me some weird feelings, somewhere between pride in my work and rose-tinted glasses of youth.
Better not go back and play them ;-)

--- Quote from: Nyctaeus on April 17, 2022, 09:59:51 pm ---You know... Feel free to ask :].

--- End quote ---
I will keep that in mind.

ShadowsOfLight:
Amazing job on this model!  :nod:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version