Author Topic: FreeSpace The Series  (Read 59250 times)

Pretty :yes:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ok, what the $#%$ is up with this woman speaking so fast during the briefing(s) that she would give John_Moschitta_Jr. a good run for his money??? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

(And no, I haven't played Blue Planet yet. I'm saving that for after I finish Exile: ItDW.)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Yeah I know right. It's a bit... Yeah.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ok, what the $#%$ is up with this woman speaking so fast during the briefing(s) that she would give John_Moschitta_Jr. a good run for his money??? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

(And no, I haven't played Blue Planet yet. I'm saving that for after I finish Exile: ItDW.)

She had tons and tons of lines to record and rushed those.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if that kind of speed was more standard. I mean, it is probably faster than is reasonable, but I tend to find that voice acting errs far too much on the side of slowness -- and it often gets irritating when there are subtitles involved, because then I've read the line five times by the time the VA finishes.

Besides, she's giving a briefing for an upcoming combat mission. Not exactly a case where you have a lot of time on your hands.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Well, there's speaking fast to save time, but this is bordering on (or even past) speaking almost too fast to be understood. It's pretty jarring to me. I for one don't mind it if a VA speaks slower than I read subtitles. If she speaks faster than I read subtitles, then it distracts me and divides my attention.

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Way to leave us on the verge of the action NJSP!   ;)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Way to leave us on the verge of the action NJSP!   ;)

I gotta keep y'all somewhat hooked somehow haha.

I really hope y'all are enjoying this play through I'm gonna do my best and keep this going.

Thank you all for your support!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, there's speaking fast to save time, but this is bordering on (or even past) speaking almost too fast to be understood. It's pretty jarring to me. I for one don't mind it if a VA speaks slower than I read subtitles. If she speaks faster than I read subtitles, then it distracts me and divides my attention.

Given the constraints we had to work with, the sheer size of her role, and the cost of getting retakes, this was the best we could do. 90% of her lines are great, the briefings are too fast but we simply didn't have the labor or money available to get redos.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:31:19 am by General Battuta »

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Given the constraints we had to work with, the sheer size of her role, and the cost of getting retakes, this was the best we could do. 90% of her lines are great, the briefings are too fast but we simply didn't have the labor or money available to get redos.

Duly noted. Voice acting for Freespace mods seems (to me, anyway) a luxury, so it's always appreciated whenever it appears. I deliberately haven't played Blue Planet yet as I want to savor it properly after playing the other Freespace mods. I'm trying to save the best for last, as it were.  :cool:

The Order of the Stick

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But JAD should not be saved for last, it's too much fun!

But JAD should not be saved for last, it's too much fun!
But you probably won't understand some jokes if you play it earlier.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It might encourage them to play other campaigns in order to understand said jokes  ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

It might encourage them to play other campaigns in order to understand said jokes  ;7

That's possible too but the JAD audience isn't that big, sadly.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Isn't that the point of promotion and marketing.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Isn't that the point of promotion and marketing.

Sure, but the market for JAD isn't that big either.

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
Aren't JAD's jokes from several anime shows, though, and their tropes?

Aren't JAD's jokes from several anime shows, though, and their tropes?

That too. JADs target audience is like
=>People who played FS
=>People who played FS and many FS mods
=>People who played FS and many FS mods who are part of HLP for a long time
=>People who played FS and many FS mods who are part of HLP for a long time who also like anime
=>People who played FS and many FS mods who are part of HLP for a long time who also like anime and watched the same shows as Axem