Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762642 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
New error. I updated the picture.

Try it again.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

I've done a real install of FreeSpace and the installer is working fine. Just seems it doesn't like the HotU version. I'm currently installing FreSpaceOpen with the .exe install, since you've said it'll be supported in the future with updates, and include the revert to retail package.

I've moved the HotU version to G:\Freespace3 and here goes (with the java installer)...

All right, it works! Started downloading the core files. Though I'm going to stick with my real version install. Nice to have that bug ironed out :)
Consider, friend, as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you too shall be. Prepare, therefore, to follow me.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph

Offline Kegel

Same thing. Though, the freespace2 directory indeed doesn't have the folder and file the installer is looking for.

Try downloading the .jar again. I think I've fixed it now.

Same thing here.  I didnt have aproblem aon a version I downloaded about a month ago (I just reformatted).  I installed into C/program Files/Freespace 2.  The installer asks me for the directory which I give it.  Install fails in about 3 seconds.  It creates a Games/freespice 2 folder in my root directory and a shortcut (that doesnt point to anything) on my desktop.  What up???

You really shouldn't be using the Java version unless you know what you're doing or your setup is a bit abnormal (like not installing to C:\).

Get the NSIS version instead. Link is in the first post.

I did use the old installer...no java for me!  Why do you assume I dont know what Im doing?  LOL.  (I dont...good guess).

Offline Kegel

Ill try putting quotes around thedirectory.  I did install to c/PROGRAM FILES/Freespace2

Offline Kegel

Quotes dont work... I guess I have to install FS2 into the root directory C? 

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Quotes dont work... I guess I have to install FS2 into the root directory C? 

C:\Games\FreeSpace2 works better.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

No spaces in the path please. The original CD installer doesn't use them, so no sense in fighting it eh?

A niggling problem to be sure, which will most likely be eventually ironed out, but in the meantime better to go with the flow and get your game on than fight a stupid persnickety path.   :shaking:

Yep, I can't use D:, have to use C:.

I'm reinstalling from scratch, using the CD's to see if some error messages will go away.

Questions:

1. If I do a clean CD install, and then put FSOpen over it, will I need a no-cd patch? If so, can I get the patch separately from somewhere?
2. I was using the updater last night, testing by checking only the core files box, and the updater downloaded the files every time---is this correct? That doesn't seem like a properly working update function.
3. The uninstall verbiage in the updater is confusing and disconcerting, will that be fixed soon?
4.  How does the new online installer compare to this one, and also to ShivanSPS's new installer? This is fun but time consuming!

Thanks,

Huggybaby

<edit>
Just did a full install of FS1 retail, and I noticed that the installer didn't ask for disk 2. Turns out disk 2 contains all the movies.
Crap, FS1 won't run or update.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:53:14 am by Huggybaby »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Yep, I can't use D:, have to use C:.

I'm reinstalling from scratch, using the CD's to see if some error messages will go away.

Questions:

1. If I do a clean CD install, and then put FSOpen over it, will I need a no-cd patch? If so, can I get the patch separately from somewhere?
No patch needed.

2. I was using the updater last night, testing by checking only the core files box, and the updater downloaded the files every time---is this correct? That doesn't seem like a properly working update function.
Yeah, I know this happens, and it's on purpose - for now. In the NSIS Installer, the core files are handled differently than everything else. This will be fixed once I get the Java Updater working.

3. The uninstall verbiage in the updater is confusing and disconcerting, will that be fixed soon?

That's built into NSIS, and very difficult to change. Again, It'll be fixed in the Java Updater.

4.  How does the new online installer compare to this one, and also to ShivanSPS's new installer? This is fun but time consuming!

Thanks,

Huggybaby
I wrote the new online Installer, and all that one does is install FreeSpace 2 Retail. This installs FreeSpace Open. They don't overlap.

As for Shivan's Installer, I haven't used it yet, but more options is always good.

<edit>
Just did a full install of FS1 retail, and I noticed that the installer didn't ask for disk 2. Turns out disk 2 contains all the movies.
Crap, FS1 won't run or update.

Why are you installing FreeSpace 1? FreeSpace Open runs on top of FreeSpace 2.

I'm testing to see if everything works properly if I install FS1 first, and I also want to see if doing so will make my update process quicker by having certain files installed already.

Are you saying FreeSpace Open is completely standalone from FS1 retail?

Also, good news, FS1 is working now. I had to use the 1.06 patch. I couldn't get it to work because I was using the North America version. Turns out you need the UK version, so I'm adding that link to my links post.
http://www.interplay.com/support/product.asp?GameID=111#18

There is a 1.06 eax patch I'm trying next.

And thanks Turey for all the answers above.

In the NSIS Installer, the core files are handled differently than everything else.
So I won't have to get the 800MB again?

Also, the eax patch worked but I can't use the eax setting because it knocks out speech, so back to DirectSound.

Now I'm going to install FS2.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:19:40 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are you saying FreeSpace Open is completely standalone from FS1 retail?

It's FS2_Open not FS_Open :) It installs on top of the second game.

In order to see improved graphics for FS1 you have to install the FS1 to FS2 port. The Installer will do that for you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I'm installing FS 2 Open now.

Every time the installer extracts a file, it seems to want to make a shortcut but gets an error and moves on.

Since I have the mve files already, where should I put them?
Never mind, I'll find out ;)

Um, the readme file in the mediavps folder says:
=====(2) Installation:
Place mv_*.vp in the same directory as fs2_open (Probably your Freespace 2 directory) and delete or move any old MediaVP files.
Is this correct?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:37:00 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I'm installing FS 2 Open now.

Every time the installer extracts a file, it seems to want to make a shortcut but gets an error and moves on.
What?

Um, the readme file in the mediavps folder says:
=====(2) Installation:
Place mv_*.vp in the same directory as fs2_open (Probably your Freespace 2 directory) and delete or move any old MediaVP files.
Is this correct?

No. And that file really needs to be taken out of the mediavps.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Should be unzipped to a 'MediaVPs' folder, then activated using the secondary mod thing.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Should be unzipped to a 'mediavps' folder, then activated using the secondary mod thing.

Fixed.

How do I do the secondary mod thing? I thought adveffects worked by just placing that file in the freespace2 directory?

<edit> And I really need to unzip it? Are there any other files I should unzip?
<edit> The error is when it tries to make a link in the program menu I think. I was getting these with the updater too, I'm still downloading so I keep you informed.
<edit> Derelict is downloading very slowly. I envision a not too distant future where I can get the huge download from a torrent a la ShivanSPS, and then run the Java updater on that. That will be sweet.
<edit> Ahh, I see that mv_adveffects.vp is now put into the mediavps folder.

The derelict readme says
You will also need Lightspeed's Nebula Backgrounds, available here:

http://www.penguinbomb.com/lightspeed/index.html

These need to be extracted to the data/effects folder - you can use either
FS2/data/effects or [Derelict folder]/data/effects, it doesn't matter.
Is this correct?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:40:54 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Quote from: My FAQ
Be very wary of what the readmes that come with mods tell you to do. Many mods were written for FS2, before FS2_Open had its new mod managing features or by people only vaguely aware of what they do. For this reason I'll give you a golden rule.

NEVER install anything to Freespace2\Data regardless of what the instructions say.

If you are following this guide there is no reason to install there. Installing to that folder means that FS2 retail and multiplayer will load the mod and probably break.

There are a few rare occasions when you can break that rule but in general it's a good idea to follow it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks karajorma.

Turey, here's my error:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
ah. Check your freespace2 folder. Do you have an "UpdateFreeSpaceOpen.exe"?

Yes, here is the result of running the updater to see if Sync would update (I already had it, was checking to see if it would download over again, hoping not).

Here's another piece to the puzzle, notice the bad second Freespace entry under the good folder:

I must say this is the first time my screen matches the screenshots around, my guess is that I've never had the advanced effects working before and it is a HUGE difference!  :p

Also, when installing I canceled out of some really large fsport files, but the updater acts like all the files are there, which means I'm going to have to get tricky somehow.

I ran the installer again to get the mve files, it created a movies folder but didn't put anything in them, maybe because I didn't select the core files again.
<edit> I copied all the mve's from my cd's and I have the same 10 files listed in cutscene.txt, so I think that will do that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 10:16:15 pm by Huggybaby »