Author Topic: Upgraded X52 Throttle finished  (Read 1537 times)

Upgraded X52 Throttle finished
Hey guys. Been busy in the real world with the grandkids and retirement travel. I did however finally got time to finish my X52 upgrade project. Pretty much all new high quality parts as well as a HALL Effect for the throttle position. Also includes a mini thumb joystick for the strafing requirements in the 6DOF games I play. I will be updating my blog when I install it in my simpit.

Re: Upgraded X52 Throttle finished
Neat! I like the replaced thumbstick, that little blue stock nubbin is basically worthless.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's a really neat mod.

How difficult or easy is it to replace hardware on sticks? I recall reading someone's project proposal on Benchmark Sims, where they wanted to put the guts of a cheap Thrustmaster stick with Hall sensors into a 3D Extreme Pro (because apparently the TM sticks feel cheap). I was speculating that they might run into firmware issues, software issues, or other problems when making a Frankenstick. I have to assume it's on a case-by-case basis, but I'd be interested to hear what you did to make that thing work!

A better understanding of these issues might be really exciting, as there's a lot of individual, high-quality parts the individual can purchase on the market today. Just looking at what is listed under CH Product's catalog is droolworthy:

https://www.apem.com/int/

...Although considering the costs might induce a heart attack!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
That's a really neat mod.

How difficult or easy is it to replace hardware on sticks? I recall reading someone's project proposal on Benchmark Sims, where they wanted to put the guts of a cheap Thrustmaster stick with Hall sensors into a 3D Extreme Pro (because apparently the TM sticks feel cheap). I was speculating that they might run into firmware issues, software issues, or other problems when making a Frankenstick. I have to assume it's on a case-by-case basis, but I'd be interested to hear what you did to make that thing work!

A better understanding of these issues might be really exciting, as there's a lot of individual, high-quality parts the individual can purchase on the market today. Just looking at what is listed under CH Product's catalog is droolworthy:

https://www.apem.com/int/

...Although considering the costs might induce a heart attack!

I never tried a t-16000 but many complained that the buttons feel cheap, they are also mostly on the base with very few on the stick while the praise for its hall effect sensors is unanimous. The guy that posted pictures of his simpit had a frankenstick that used the base of that stick but with the stick of an old CH Fighterstick, presumably to have more and better buttons.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

As an owner of an X52 myself, this is very intriguing. Been thinking of doing some very similar mods myself. When you get it up and running, please post updates!

I have the throttle installed and setup for FS2 in my simpit

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Oh, dear, I completely forgot your nickname and only remembered the simpit picture.  :banghead:

Still, the modified throttle fits perfectly, I just wish I had the capabilities to do mods like that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:59:22 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

...Wow. That is a very impressive setup! I like the Freespace SCP sticker on there too!

That sticker is on there because that is a hard card stock overlay for labels on each game I play on the simpit. It is just a way for me to identify the card.