Author Topic: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!  (Read 25368 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!
Damn, check that new teaser out!
the company had some serious problems during the last months but it seems it's actually going forward again!  :nod:

Oh I am a Spearhead Member of course.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Re: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!
For someone who has no idea what Interstellar Marines is about, would you please explain?  It looks cool and all, but I know nothing about it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Vidmaster

Alright...
Interstellar Marines is an Indie Game trying to do the impossible, making a TripleA title without any publisher. Funds come from the families of the devs themselves and from the community.
The goal is to essentially make the ultimate FPS game, to go back to the golden area of gaming where video games were something intelligent and smart, not full of concessions for the mainstream crowd. Think the classic LookingGlass Games for example (Thief, DeusEx, SystemShoch). A real, believable Sci-Fi Military Shooter telling a complex, almost philosophical story, portraying humanity's first contact with an alien species in a realistic way. No Halo peypey-Laserguns, no corridor shooter gameplay, actual environments and dynamic AI.
Plus it's designed to feature full 4 player coop and those devs have developed a special technology for voice chats. I am under an NDA (as is everybody who has seen the footage) so I can't talk about it but it is probably the most innovative sound technology since the SoundBlaster.

Does that sound interesting to you?  :D

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm pretty sure 'actual environments and dynamic AI' were what Halo was about.

Sounds ambitious. Promising, perhaps.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Grooovy. I've been keeping a close eye on it, and was kinda upset by their financial state recently.

But it looks like their back in action.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Vidmaster

I'm pretty sure 'actual environments and dynamic AI' were what Halo was about.

Before Microsoft bought Bungie, yes! In the first game, you could actually see a bit of these leftovers in the level design of Level 3 Silent Cartographer, which was the best level in the game. The whole second half of the game was horrible and I don't even want to start to talk about the sequels. BUT THIS WON'T TURN INTO A HALO DISCUSSION, we have plenty of topics for that.

Actual enviroments goes much further than that. Remember SystemShock1 or Thief 2? Levels were actual places, not levels or a series of corridors with one open door each. Interstellar Marines wants to go to the next level by adding all furniture, water tubes, electrical systems and so on to these places. You can damage the power supply for example which will do much more than just turn off the lights.

I am really curious who this new investor is. They dropped some hints that it's actually sb from the community.
Hell, I would have done it myself if I had the economic power, a game like this could reinvent the genre on it's own and sell huge numbers if you promote it right and choose the right release date (summer ;7)

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
This looks truly awesome!!!!
If it is going to revert back to the good old days then I don't even care what the graphics look like, though this looks beautiful  :)
I'll keep a close eye on it from now on
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hrm! Sounds a bit like Natural Selection 2, but with a single-player plot.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Unfortunately reminds me of that....'game'....SPACE TRADER: Merchant Marine

:( hopefully it will actually be a game.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What I'm getting from this topic is that this game is an impossiblity.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Landsharks in spaaaaace?

Well, hell, if they release it, I'll play it. Uh. After I upgrade my system.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

Actual enviroments goes much further than that. Remember SystemShock1 or Thief 2? Levels were actual places, not levels or a series of corridors with one open door each. Interstellar Marines wants to go to the next level by adding all furniture, water tubes, electrical systems and so on to these places. You can damage the power supply for example which will do much more than just turn off the lights.

I am really curious who this new investor is. They dropped some hints that it's actually sb from the community.
Hell, I would have done it myself if I had the economic power, a game like this could reinvent the genre on it's own and sell huge numbers if you promote it right and choose the right release date (summer ;7)
this sounds like exactly what i'd like to see in a game's level design.
I might just buy this game*
*depending on how well it runs on the compiuter i have at the time of its release.

Offline Vidmaster

that this game is an impossiblity.

exactly. That's what it is at the moment and that is what these people and their fans and supporters (including me) trying to do anyway. We will NEVER get a game like that unless we do it ourselves, quoting from the lead designer.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I for one support independent developers. Heck, even with FS we've probably done much more than any typical developer ever would.

...Most of my favorite games... which I find are also very cool/well done... come from independent/close-knit publishers. Good stuff.  :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Space Marines.

very original

I found that the character models desperately needed updating[Read Halo 1 graphics], but consider the relative lack of funding, ZPS has gone a very long way. If they can put out more information and such that increases the probability of a release, then I'll buy.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Space Marines.

very original

I actually don't think that Space Marines are cliched yet because every attempt at making them has been generally done wrong. You could convince me otherwise by directing me to any excellent and enthralling game where you are a space marine that I haven't played yet.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It's been done a lot because no one wants to play Space Missile Tech 3rd Class.  It's the most interesting thing that can be played as (that would make a simple enough game for good sales.  That or Space Ship Captain, and that is a whole different ship boat, and also been done to death) IN SPACE.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Just out of curiosity, what games are of the "space marine" genre? Am I just not playing them? The only thing that would lead me to believe that it's over-done is the fact that people tell me it's over-done.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just not thinking it's cliched because every game that focuses around "space marines" that I've played, you can't actually differentiate yourself from normal marines aside from the fact that they always refer to you as "space" marines.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
This looks interesting.  I'll have to check it out in more detail later. 

If they're as focused on realism as they say, I hope they implement an energy management system into the power armor.  It seems like something that should be there.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...