Author Topic: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!  (Read 25368 times)

Offline mxlm

Re: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!
On that note, David Drake's Seas of Venus and Redliners. Sure, sure, no powered armor. But 'advanced technology vs. wtfwildlife'? Oh yes.

Battuta, do you have a fanfic website or something I can browse? Pretty please?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
A creature claw than can match a 30mm sabot round?
A carpace that is more resistant than our armor?

I think that would pretty much sum it up with less words used (talking about you general)
"No"

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I need a railgun. Now.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

*picture of an Ultralisk*

I think that would pretty much sum it up with less words used (talking about you general)

The Zerg are not a naturally evolved species (set of species), and they are essentially technological artifacts built from organic matter using various kinds of unobtainium that allows them to match their technological foes. My point was to present a situation where the natural fauna, as part of a plausible ecosystem, could threaten a space marine type.

You're right, however, with regards to one point the Ultralisk brings up: you can probably build some truly incredible things biologically, including devices that match or even outstrip their technological counterparts in some respects. After a point, in fact, there's probably not much of a difference between the two.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:43:37 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Offline Topgun

/thread

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think that thing could support its own body weight.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You people are really starved for good fiction if that's your reaction to Battuta's not-much-florish-or-anything work. o.0
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It might not be that heavy on the inside.  Just sayin'.

Anyway, that's Metroid Prime, which actually has composite ARMOR, not just carapace.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You people are really starved for good fiction if that's your reaction to Battuta's not-much-florish-or-anything work. o.0

Seriously. It was pretty spare. Fragmented and broken too. Still, it at least wasn't bogged down in adjectives and odd constructions.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The spareness was one of the things I liked about it.  It was very much an in-the-moment sort of description, instead of feeling like some sort of scripted narrative.  But really, I was just amazed that he was able to come up with some sort of crazy, lightning-spewing, killer flying jellyfish creatures right off the top of his head just to prove a point. :p

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
The Zerg are not a naturally evolved species (set of species), and they are essentially technological artifacts built from organic matter ...My point was to present a situation where the natural fauna, as part of a plausible ecosystem...

You're right, however, with regards to one point the Ultralisk brings up: you can probably build some truly incredible things biologically, ...After a point, in fact, there's probably not much of a difference between the two.

Pssh, semantics.

Building biological things could in a sense be related to technology, but it's still a creature of biological nature which was my point.
Maybe these landsharks are incredibly advanced forms of life. I wouldn't know, I didn't know this existed until a few days ago.
Besides, that thing could really move. Anything that you can't hit is always a tough foe regardless of how strong it's carapace is.

"No"

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Perhaps this would qualify as a really Bad Thing to encounter, regardless of tech level? 

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
It's not stylistically or even technically impressive, no, but what is impressive is the level of confidence behind it. Of course it isn't of a professional standard - it's something he threw together to make a point on the internet. It still bespeaks a more than capable writer. I think I've got every right to react with fawning bedazzlement >:(

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's not stylistically or even technically impressive, no, but what is impressive is the level of confidence behind it. Of course it isn't of a professional standard - it's something he threw together to make a point on the internet. It still bespeaks a more than capable writer. I think I've got every right to react with fawning bedazzlement >:(

Perhaps, but I'm used to extemporizing lengthy, highly analytic discussion on The InternetTM. The format changed here, true, but I'm not totally convinced that is enough to mark it out as something beyond the ordinary from stuff like The Shivan Manifesto or my subspace tactics discussion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
The Shivan...? Man, I'm just expressing my desire to see something more substantial of Battuta's writing. Is that all right with you, NGTM-1R?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
you can probably build some truly incredible things biologically, including devices that match or even outstrip their technological counterparts in some respects. After a point, in fact, there's probably not much of a difference between the two.

There's a point. Almost every technology invented nowadays is based on nature's solution for some problem. For example, take a look at the lotus effect. However, I need to add one other thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZR5sfj9A2M

man, I love this guy. Together with Yathzee and Daniel Floyd, he sits in Olympus of most enteraining but still very interesting video creators.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:47:59 pm by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The point the book makes is a valid one, though. The Europeans didn't wipe out their American competition through military force, after all. They had biological superiority based on years of living with domesticated animals in crowded urban environments.

And native americans didn't live "close" to nature? C'mon.
There was no biological superiority. It was just good/bad luck that a germ they weren't ready for jumped. It might as well gone the other way around.

*SNIPPED PARAGRAPH*

Interesting vision of a future space battle. However, that creature you're describing?
I wonder what freaky evolution would ever come up with sonmething like that..I consider bumping into my time traveling evil twin more likely.

Oh, and my rant was more directed to large-scale implications (battles) rather than a single marine. In some universe you have races that travel from planet to planet in organic, living ships and wage war (like Zerg, the Tyranids) Now THAT is bull****.

Not to mention that coming up with a silly creature doesn't prove anything. I can come up with rifles that fire miniature black holes, and as such can devour any creature you can come up with. This really is going nowhere.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:29:54 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Aha...because an imaginary fictionaly creature that makes no sense is somehow the ultimate proof?

People see an ant and say "You know, he can carry 50 times it's own weight! How dangerous would it be if it was as big as a human? Or bigger!" Thing is, it doesn't work that way.
Just cause some property exists doens't mean you can scale it up and improve it a thousand fold. Not to say that nature can't come up with amazing, effective and dangerous things.

We KNOW humans can build railguns that can cut trough tank armor if needed. We know we can build advanced alloys and servos.
There's nothing indicating that nature can keep up. Right now we're reaching redicolous levels of firepower and armor is falling behind.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!