Author Topic: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!  (Read 25368 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!
Battuta:  Your bullet bugs, I think, are a little too contrived even for this discussion.  Let's try to keep it to single organisms working in groups or hive mind more conventional forces to keep the Naysayers happy, no? ;)

They honestly don't seem particularly different from existing insects to me, so, no, I don't see any particular problem.

If adding some additional detail and flair is the price of criticism, that's fine with me, but I think it funny that an organism that consists of 95% existing organism behaviors on the fundamental level (the variants are the only really fantastic part) is called 'contrived'. It just shows how crazy nature can be.

Trashman:  "We" aren't using those things.  Contrived they may be, stop looking at this from a "human bio-engineering vs. human technology."  I came up with a slightly less contrived example than Battuta's in free time during Psych today.  I would be happy to type it up, on the condition you don't rant at it for not being able to single-handedly PWNXORZ anything not organic.  This discussion isn't meant to prove how organics trump tech, it's an attemp to DISPROVE how Tech always trumps organic.

Yeah, I think this is what Akalabeth is missing.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Point you, Battuta.  Something just seemed a little... off about it.  Maybe it was the selective adoption of traits based on (then) current circumstances.  Then again, I'm inclined to think more in terms of the conventional and more visibly "normal."

I need to stop thinking criticism is an inherently bad word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
One of the givens of the scenario was a race of 'biotech enemies' who had put as much effort into advancing their biological science as we have into our physical approaches. Biology has always been the retarded child of the sciences - especially before the discovery of DNA. So there was definitely a certain degree of handwaving involved to account for a whole different path of development.

Some people seem to be choking on it.

I mean, I could've taken two minutes and written up a halfway plausible treatise on beetle hives that just make bullets and gone off on how that was more efficient than the comparable factory model, but it wouldn't have been as much fun.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before as I didn't read through all 9 pages of this argument, but "evolution" can also be applied to machine design via evolutionary algorithms.

Hence, in the end, it could be just as easy/difficult to control a horde of drones, biological or otherwise.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Hay guis, the game might actually be fun / worth having its own thread...

THREADSPLIT PLZ   :nervous:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Honestly most of the objections just seem to be a consequence of failures of imagination. This whole thread is a what if, not a how likely: plausible, grounded, but nonetheless fantastic illustrations of a point.

And I honestly see this a faliure - desrigarding the how likely bit.
You can't say that's unimportant. It's very important.

Frankly I doubt we'll ever have the bioengineering knowledge to create bio-bugs...or the technical knowledge to create nano-machines.

Also, I wouldn't call this a "technology vs. nature" debate. Not really. Our technology is the product of our nature.
This is a tech-equipped organism vs. purely bilogical organism debate.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:19:48 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
*shrug* Up in the air. None of us can make accurate predictions about what we'll be able to do in the future, let alone what another species might manage.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
HLP;

The only place where the introduction of a game can turn to predictions about the future.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Given that no one has mentioned the game until you did for at least 3-4 pages. No.

And stop telling the admins how to do our job. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
LAND SHARKS, RAWR!!!!!!1

Given that no one has mentioned the game until you did for at least 3-4 pages. No.

And stop telling the admins how to do our job. :p

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So...  they've got Sharky the Sharkdog. 

Any chance of Thunder Lizards?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I cast my vote for worgs. If the angry goblin on top doesn't kill you, that irritable dog-thang will...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So will this game be download only, or will I be able to pop into my nearest high street retailer to purchase?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Download only. At first at least. If they are ever able to, they are planning to release 360 and PS3 versions as well.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Of course, in real warfare, the smaller the bugs are more dangerous. Battuta's bullet bugs are, in many ways synonymous with locusts, but even they aren't the most effective organic killers out there. Consider that the common flu has killed more people than all the wars that have ever taken place, and you'll see that there are two ways to avoid armour, one is to be big enough to break it, the other is to be small enough to fit through the cracks, that's the real danger of any organic-based warfare.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah. Thus the earlier discussions about Native Americans vis a vis human-alien contact.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
You're all being a bit naive. To destroy a civilization there's no need to kill each and every member. All you need is to disrupt the foundation.

A prime being the whole eco-sphere. Just changing the environment could do in the humans. If you're interested read the "War on the Chtorr" cycle.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
hey, they opened the Vault to the public. DID ANYBODY CHECK IT OUT INSTEAD OF DISCUSSING ALIEN CREATURES?

It really is the next generation of screenshots.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
hey, they opened the Vault to the public. DID ANYBODY CHECK IT OUT INSTEAD OF DISCUSSING ALIEN CREATURES?

It's pretty neat. I was kinda hoping it'd open up with more content, but I'm not complaining. Anyway, I'm wondering how the actual game is coming along. I guess We'll know more when the other areas are opened.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:54:32 pm by thesizzler »

I did  :) :yes:
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes