Author Topic: Problem trying to load anything but Freespace 2 MVPs  (Read 1998 times)

Problem trying to load anything but Freespace 2 MVPs
So I'm kinda new to this... (like literally just installed and all) and I can't get anything but the aforementioned thing to play. This is the error message I keep getting with all of them:

Starting /Users/Fenris/Desktop/Wrappers/Freespace/bin/FSO-3.8.0-3/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64 failed! (return code: -6)

I was trying to get FSP to load, and it showed that error, same for silent threat reborn, and even the retail version of FSP2. I didn't see this in the FAQ, though I'm sure this has been run into before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: Problem trying to load anything but Freespace 2 MVPs
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

I just tried that and got this error:

Starting /Users/Fenris/Desktop/Wrappers/Freespace/bin/FSO-3.8.0-3/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64-FASTDBG.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64-FASTDBG failed! (return code: -6)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
How do you select your mods? What launcher do you use?

Unfortunately i do not have a Mac, so i do not have any knowledge about it. But all that i can say is, that Return Code: -6 is not existing in any MacOS document i have found :D.
So i actually even do not know, what this return code want to tell me :(.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
That looks very much like a path Knossos would produce.

Can you please try the following? Go to Knossos' settings page (cogwheel icon), set your preferred stability to "Nightlies", go to your Home tab, update FSO and try launching a mod.
I'm pretty sure that there's an issue with symlinks in the 3.8.0-3 release which has been fixed in the nightlies. The MVPs require nightlies which is also the reason they worked without the change.

That looks very much like a path Knossos would produce.

Can you please try the following? Go to Knossos' settings page (cogwheel icon), set your preferred stability to "Nightlies", go to your Home tab, update FSO and try launching a mod.
I'm pretty sure that there's an issue with symlinks in the 3.8.0-3 release which has been fixed in the nightlies. The MVPs require nightlies which is also the reason they worked without the change.

that fixed it. everything is working perfectly now. gracias.