Author Topic: Expanding the Fleet  (Read 4514 times)

This is my first visit to the forum and after browsing through Ace's thread about why he's not interested I thought I should point something out. A little bit of fluff from FS1

The Aten class cruiser, while far stronger than most of the Vasudans warships, falls short as a attack cruiser.  It does not have the armor or the firepower to stand up to GTA weaponry.  With a cruiser speed of 25 m/s and only six weapon turrets, the Aten just cannot muster the kind of firepower needed to do real damage to targets of size.

Note the first sentence, "while far stronger than most Vasudan warships". Now, what warships are these? The Vasudans have two warships in FS1, the Typhon and the Aten. The Satis is at first thought to be a warship but that idea is later disproven and by the time of FS1 it is considered a frieghter.

From the moment I read the description of the Aten it has proven to me that the there are certainly more ships in the Vasudan navy than what we see in FS1. And if there are more Vasudan vessels, logically there would be more Terran ships as well. I think that any new ships would be rarer or would play a less vital role than the exisiting ships, but that's a minor point.

I don't believe that there is no wiggle room in the story. And it is entirely possible to create new ships which are weaker than existing warships but because of inferior firepower on both fighters and the ships, give the same playability.

Or take the Leviathan:

Because of the on-again off-again nature of this vessel's production, almost all of the Leviathan Cruisers have different armaments, but all have consistent hulls and speeds.

It states they all have different armaments, yet what in the FS1 weapons.tbl could be used for those armaments? There's Terran Turret, Terran Huge, and Terran Weak. That's not a lot of room for a multitude of variation.

I like the idea for this project and think it could be very fun if done right. I've been playing FS1 and one mission involved the monumental task of disabling a Cain Class Cruiser. When has the destruction/disabling of a Cain ever been more than an afterthought in FS2? In this MOD ships could be more like ships rather than 30 second targets for the player.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, we're keeping that very much in mind.  The TVWP will be much more about fighters, transports, and cruisers than about capships.  Strategy over brute force. :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Definitely. ;) That's one of the reasons I disliked Inferno; an enemy destroyer pops up and then FWOOSH, it's gone in a hail of beam fire. I prefer "OH ****" moments in FS1 (and ST:R) when a Demon or Typhon emerges from subspace right in front of you and you panic.

It's even better in the T-V War. Try my Port mission where you're flying an unshielded Anubis, and the GTC Orff jumps in... :shaking:

I'm really looking forward to those moments. :nod:

On a side note, Akhbeth, the TVWP is based almost entirely on fluff. We see few references to it in the actual game missions, so most of what's being done is gleaned from the tech database entries in the games.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Definitely.  That's one of the reasons I disliked Inferno; an enemy destroyer pops up and then FWOOSH, it's gone in a hail of beam fire. I prefer "OH ****" moments in FS1 (and ST:R) when a Demon or Typhon emerges from subspace right in front of you and you panic.

Well I was kinda wondering about Inferno when I look at the tech database and see _three_ Shivan Juggernauts which outclass the Sathanas (think its three).

There's this one mission in FS1 where you're supposed to gank some Aten Cruiser and a Cain comes in and blows it up. Well, the Aten may be the suckiest cruiser out there but it was sure kicking the crap out of my Valkyrie.

Offline pasti

• http://soon.coom
yeah!
 that is what FS1 was about:  strategy.

FS2 & INF has awesome capship battles with lots of beams, Very_Big_Ships and numerous allied wings.

FS2 is different, when you look at capships: bigger, stonger and at least twice as much in numbers (GTVA side).

FS1? Bastion, Galatea, Hope plus some 3 cruisiers on GTA-PVN side.

I find FS1 much more  "hardcore" than FS2. You don't have "We're sending 2 corvettes/destroyer to assist" option. FS2 is more like regular war instead of "last effort missions" in FS1.
I'm a cold heartbreaker
Fit ta burn and I'll rip
your heart in two
An I'll leave you lyin' on the bed
I'll be out the door before ya wake
It's nuthin' new ta you
'Cause I think we've seen that movie too

Dressing like your sister
Living like a tart
You don't know what you doing
Babe, it must be art

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The Terrans need a heavy fighter to be used before shields are invented. A Hercules prototype isn't right: Without big guns and shields, a Herc is cannon fodder with only 250 hitpoints. Here's a better solution:

GTF Heracles
Heavy Assault Fighter
Max Speed: 50 m/s
Max Speed with full engine power: 65 m/s
Max AB Speed: 135 m/s
Turn time: 4.0, 4.0, 5.0
Gun mounts: 6
Default Gun Banks: ML-16 Laser, HL-5 Laser (the HL-5 is a heavy laser)
Allowed Gun Banks: LL-45 Laser, ML-16 Laser, HL-5 Laser, Disruptor, Flail, PC-4 Plasma
Default Secondaries: MX-50, Phoenix IV
Allowed Secondaries, MX-50, Phoenix IV, EMP, D-Missile, Stiletto
Secondary Capacity: 80, 100
Hitpoints: 320
Countermeasures: 20
Power Output: 3.0 per second
Description: The Heracles is a formidable opponent, with 6 gun mounts, two huge missile banks, and loads of armor. Often used to shoot down bombers, gas miners, freighters, and similar foes, the Heracles is considered a heavy assault fighter. It is often favored by novice pilots for its sturdy hull.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
The Terrans need a heavy fighter to be used before shields are invented. A Hercules prototype isn't right: Without big guns and shields, a Herc is cannon fodder with only 250 hitpoints. Here's a better solution:

GTF Heracles
Heavy Assault Fighter
Max Speed: 50 m/s
Max Speed with full engine power: 65 m/s
Max AB Speed: 135 m/s
Turn time: 4.0, 4.0, 5.0
Gun mounts: 6
Default Gun Banks: ML-16 Laser, HL-5 Laser (the HL-5 is a heavy laser)
Allowed Gun Banks: LL-45 Laser, ML-16 Laser, HL-5 Laser, Disruptor, Flail, PC-4 Plasma
Default Secondaries: MX-50, Phoenix IV
Allowed Secondaries, MX-50, Phoenix IV, EMP, D-Missile, Stiletto
Secondary Capacity: 80, 100
Hitpoints: 320
Countermeasures: 20
Power Output: 3.0 per second
Description: The Heracles is a formidable opponent, with 6 gun mounts, two huge missile banks, and loads of armor. Often used to shoot down bombers, gas miners, freighters, and similar foes, the Heracles is considered a heavy assault fighter. It is often favored by novice pilots for its sturdy hull.

Don't wory we have something in mind.;)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Originally posted by Flaser

Don't wory we have something in mind.;)

My HL-5 Laser still lives! *jumps with joy*:eek:

One q about the LL-45? how is it lower than the ML-16 in damage? dose it have a fireing time one .1?
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Perhaps, perhaps not...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I made the HL-5 and LL-45 up. The fact that you made a weapon with the name HL-5 is a coincidence.

The HL-5 fires slower, consumes more energy, and does more damage and the LL-45 fires more rapidly, consumes less energy, and does less damage.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Who says we have an HL-5?:nervous:

Do we have an HL-5?, Guys?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
*smacks the project co-leader*