Author Topic: Mech games  (Read 16771 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
when you think about it how many game companies release their code? seriously, i can only think of 2. parallax/[v] and id.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Don't you know that Steve Ballmer called Linux "Communism" and Open Source software "Cancer"?  :p  to him!

Offline Davros

razorworks released the source to comanche vs hokum
rowan released mig alley and battle of britain
micorsoft (yes microsoft) released the source to mech commander 2 + alleigence

mw2 is one of the best i think. not the best graphics or most well designed, but it has mech gameplay second to none.

seconded, Mw2: Mercenaries was the best of the three mechwarrior 2's, especially the titanium edition with the XP Patch.

Allegiance is a fun combat game, by the way.

And mechcommander 2 is a good strategy game.

and then... there is Mechwarrior 3. It has the atmosphere that is similar to Freespace, FS2, and Wing Commander: Secret Missions (we're doomed, outnumbered, outgunned, etc.) funny thing is, in MW2:Mercs you could buy your mechs or salvage them, in MW3, you were COMPLETETLY dependent on salvage, so the thing was not to destroy the mech, but to cripple it by shooting trough the cockpit (Kill the meat, save the metal), or blowing the leg off. Unfortanly, it doesn't work well in XP, and i do not have the spare space for a partition with Win98 on it.

And now, I am off to play MW2: Mercenaries!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:15:58 am by -Joshua- »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Umm, did you try running it in compatibility mode?  (No, I'm not trying to imply your stupid or anything silly like that.)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Umm, did you try running it in compatibility mode?  (No, I'm not trying to imply your stupid or anything silly like that.)

Doesn't work, there is something fundemental in XP that pisses the MW3 engine off. You can't progress in the campaign beyond the briefing for Op2Mis1, and there will be random crashes in the instant action.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  http://www.ntcompatible.com/Mechwarrior_for_XP_t28195.html

Does any of that work for you?  (Acquiring MW3 Gold)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Doesn't work, there is something fundemental in XP that pisses the MW3 engine off. You can't progress in the campaign beyond the briefing for Op2Mis1, and there will be random crashes in the instant action.

That's crazy, I managed to finish the game in XP, aside from using compability mode, I switched the game to software mode, that took care of most things.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Apparently the "Gold" edition works as long as it's patched to 1.2 or somesuch...

Offline Cyker

If you like MW3, never EVER play Pirate's Moon, the 'expansion'. I can't believe they managed to have a mech game with an Atlas in it and still make the game crap  :hopping: :(

The thing with MW3 that made it so awesome was the sound. Sound is so under used in modern games; The Doom shotgun sound still manages to sound cooler than every other shotgun sound I've ever heard, and that's just not right!

MW3 had the perfect feel, but I miss all the cool Clan stuff from Mech2 - Enhanced Imaging was simply awesome, and the fact you could get the AI to walk with you *in different formations* (!)... man... even MW4 can't do that! And the AI was better than MW3's... MW3 had the most useless AI I've ever seen...
It's a bit like how X-Wing's AI trounces FS' :P

MW4 just sucked. It was like playing Metal Gear 1 (Which felt and played like a bloody FPS, not a Mech game!  :hopping:)

Shogo looks horrifically ugly now, even compared to MW2, but it's so much fun ^_^
I can't believe I had to look for someone's goddamned cat...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If you like MW3, never EVER play Pirate's Moon, the 'expansion'. I can't believe they managed to have a mech game with an Atlas in it and still make the game crap  :hopping: :(

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Roanoke

I remember reading about Shogo in Manga Mania. I wonder what I did with my copy.....

Offline Inquisitor

I doubt if the corporate M$ suits would approve of giant robots stepping on people 

You step on people ad naseum in Mechassault.

I played ALOT of MW4 when it was out, its no where near as sim-my as MW3 but it was still a competent mech game. Shogo was awesome.

Of course, we made a mech game 3 years ago that the people who still play it love, but its MUCH more a FPS than a sim. I have sig's turned off, I'll check my profile and see if the download links are still accurate.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:59:42 am by Inquisitor »
No signature.

www.mech3.org

Its called MechAssault.

Offline Cyker

A friend of mine recently managed to finally get a copy of Steel Battalion, with the controller!

It's so cool. :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I picked up MechWarrior 2 Pentium edition from the Garage Sale... $10?  Maybe it was $2.  w/e.  Eventually I'll look into trying to make it work.

Offline Cyker

The DOS one? That's by far the easiest one to get working on modern machines - If by some miracle you have an ISA sound card you can boot into Real DOS and it'll just work, but failing that DOS Box works pretty well.

The Windows ones suck - I managed to get my hands on the Titanium Edition pack a few years ago - What a disappointment :(

You loose a lot of cool features (Like Enhanced Imaging!), and it's buggy as hell.

In fact, I only got it to work on my Win'98 partition on my Voodoo2!
The 6600GT couldn't render anything properly; You just got washed out textures and gemoetry flicking in and out of existance, not to mention the sudden attacks of psychedelic landscapes!

I got Mercs Titanium to run in 2k, but none of the others.

I still have the 3Dfx GLIDE version of Mech2, and that still works very well. Well, not in Windows 2000 because it doesn't support Voodoo2....

Offline Inquisitor

The problem I always had with early MW games was getting the installer to actually run :)  Once I got them installed I was usually able to run them.

And for the record, Microsoft has released game source a couple of times: Allegiance and Mechcommander (don't remember if it was 1 or 2 or both) come to mind.

-edit-
Completely missed Davros pointing out that up there about MS... Sorry for the repeat :)
No signature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I still have the 3Dfx GLIDE version of Mech2, and that still works very well. Well, not in Windows 2000 because it doesn't support Voodoo2....

No.. WinDOwS  :(  Oh, and get zeckensack's Glide Wrapper.  http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/  Works like a charm, at least for FS1  ;)