Author Topic: RELEASE - Flames of War: chapter 1  (Read 46981 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Re: RELEASE - Flames of War: chapter 1
Ehh...You're not gonna like this.  I have a bug.

I've set up the folder as per your instructions in your prior post.  I select the campaign and click the Ready Room.  The loading bar fills, then it crashes to the desktop with this error:

Error: Can't open model file <none>
File:C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.rc7dot8\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1870
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't use the debug build to get further info, as it gives me a big string of errors stating that weapon effects are missing.  I assume those aren't used.

I'm using SCP 3.6.9 RC7.8.

Any advice?

EDIT:  Just tried it with RC8.  Same result.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:50:58 pm by Tyrian »
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
weapon effects missing?...hmm...

Try plopping the FOW_Chapter1_Models.vp directly into the FS2 directory with the other Vp's (but keep the other VP where it is).

The only other thing I can think of is extracting the VP's into your Data directory nad starting the game with the mod turned off in the launcher. This procedure HAS to work unless either:

a) there is something missing in hte Vp's, but the files worked Ok for other people
b) the SCP build is screwy
c) something i havn't figured out yet
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Tyrian

I definitely had the mod enabled, so we can scratch that solution.  The VPs are in their own dedicated mod folder too.  I'll try putting the models VP into the FS2 directory.

EDIT:  Just tried it with the models VP in the FS2 directory.  Same result.

EDIT2:  I just tried replicating these directories inside the data folder inside mod folder:

nameplates in maps folder
music in music folder
insignias in players/squads

Still got the same result.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:11:18 am by Tyrian »

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Not inside the mod folder, inside the Freespace 2 root folder.
Extract both VP's there.

That MUST work.

Offline Tyrian

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow.  The above experiment was just for my own personal curiosity.

Sig rising...

Hey, in the mission "is not enough" when you're trying to defend the fury, it always seems to die, and then the mission immediately ends and i am not allowed to continue in the campaign. Then once i tinkered around with the ship hit points and managed to keep the fury alive, but still nothing happened and it just sat there for about an hour before i just jumped out and failed again. I also noticed one guy say "Oh no the furys gone, jump to these coordinates," so i immediately pressed Alt-j, and the warp animation started, but before i actually went in, the game sent me to the usual failure debriefing. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:55:46 am by falcon2105 »
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Offline Tyrian

Not to pester you, but I've finally got my version of 3.6.9 Final working.  But I still get this error:

Error: Can't open model file <none>
File:C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.rc7dot8\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1870
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:

I seem to recall seeing a thread that said this error is caused by something else and told how to fix it.  I've searched though, and can't seem to find it.  Anyone know where that thread is?

Sig rising...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hey, in the mission "is not enough" when you're trying to defend the fury, it always seems to die, and then the mission immediately ends and i am not allowed to continue in the campaign. Then once i tinkered around with the ship hit points and managed to keep the fury alive, but still nothing happened and it just sat there for about an hour before i just jumped out and failed again. I also noticed one guy say "Oh no the furys gone, jump to these coordinates," so i immediately pressed Alt-j, and the warp animation started, but before i actually went in, the game sent me to the usual failure debriefing. Any ideas?

Shouldn't be happening.. When did you DL the campaign files, since I updated them some time ago.
Since this is a red-alert mission you should be able to replay it..
and you lost the Fury in the "..Is not enough" mission? 11R if I'm not mistaken...you're only chased by 2 cruisers and several bombers, how did you manage to lose the ship?

@Tyrian
I got that error myself now that I started to make the next chapter... Never could figure out what was causing it.
I GUESSS it's probably the weapon bitmaps for the Keyser, Prometheus and the shivan fighter weapons (the line that sez
$weaponbitmap:       Keyser_Bitmap   .. or something like that)

You cna try running a debug build (and hit NO every time) to get a list of all the bitmaps it claims are not there. then you simply repolace those bitmaps with another.. Like laserglow01 or something..

I'm not curretnly at my PC so I don't have the files in front of me to modify them. Try that, that's the only thing that I can think of...

Offline Tyrian

I went through all the warnings I got when I ran the debug build.  I have warnings on everything from weapons glows and textures to ship flags (like the bigship flag and ballistic primaries).  There were about 100+ of them.  I finally got the main hall, only to get more warnings involving spline errors for a Hecate and beamglows.  After about a dozen of those, it just stopped reporting warnings and got hung up.  I have no idea how to change those texture names, nor do I fancy going through 100+ files. 

Sig rising...

Sup, first of all thank you very much for actually responding to me and not being like "Oh hes some noob with 8ish posts, forget him." But anyway. I downloaded the mission file from hades combine about 3 days ago. I re-downloaded it anyway, but the problem persists. I re-did the previous mission and protected the Fury from more bombs than I did the first time (Thats why I kept loosing it, cuz i started the next mission with the fury at like 50). So now i survive until the last deimos jumps in after i get rid of the first two cruisers. I waited, I killed the corvette, nothing happensssss. I tried docking in all the fighter bays, still nothing, and the goal still reads protect fury or whatever. The rest of your campaign is crazy good, i would hate to get stuck her like this :shaking:

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I went through all the warnings I got when I ran the debug build.  I have warnings on everything from weapons glows and textures to ship flags (like the bigship flag and ballistic primaries).  There were about 100+ of them.  I finally got the main hall, only to get more warnings involving spline errors for a Hecate and beamglows.  After about a dozen of those, it just stopped reporting warnings and got hung up.  I have no idea how to change those texture names, nor do I fancy going through 100+ files. 

I'll post the "fixed" weapons tbl when I can (saturday at the earliest), but here's what you can try -

open the weapons.tbl (from my campaing) and edit this part for the Kayser, Prometheus and Shivan fighter weapons:

$Model File:                    none
@Laser Bitmap:                           laserglow04
@Laser Glow:                           2_laserglow03

Just put what I bolded in this text insted of what it's there in the mentioned weapons.

Also, remove any "bighip" flag in the weapons.tbl (replace it with "supercap" if it's not allready there)

That might do the trick..

Oh, don't mind hte debug build, It ALLWAYS gives me a 100 warning no matter what files I have or what campagn I play.. something screwy with it..

Sup, first of all thank you very much for actually responding to me and not being like "Oh hes some noob with 8ish posts, forget him." But anyway. I downloaded the mission file from hades combine about 3 days ago. I re-downloaded it anyway, but the problem persists. I re-did the previous mission and protected the Fury from more bombs than I did the first time (Thats why I kept loosing it, cuz i started the next mission with the fury at like 50). So now i survive until the last deimos jumps in after i get rid of the first two cruisers. I waited, I killed the corvette, nothing happensssss. I tried docking in all the fighter bays, still nothing, and the goal still reads protect fury or whatever. The rest of your campaign is crazy good, i would hate to get stuck her like this

It appears that for some reason the Fury doens't jump. It's normally ordered to fly the waypoints once and then jump...strange.. I don't know what could be causing it.

One way around it is to simpoly edit the mission (11R) in FRED ..dang, I'll look into it

Yeah I thought about trying to go into Fred and trying to fix it myself...but then i realized i had no idea what i was doing  :lol: If it helps, im using the 3.6.9 official w/ the latest vps and the alpha patches, plus all you additional stuff, but idk how that would affect the game in such a way anyway. Thanks

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You could try opening the mission in FRED and changing the victory event (guard Fury).

So insted of has-departed-delay, you can change the condition to has-time-elapsed. So you can basicly set the mission to end sucesfully after several seconds..

And I think you should so the same to the mission objectives... that is, if you want to fiddle with that stuff.

EDIT:
Dang.
My room is being remodeled and my PC is dismantled, waiting in some box... I'll see if I cna do anything.

Aight, thanks a bunch trashman. I changed it so that the goal is completed when the czar arrives, so I successfully completed the mission! WOO. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oki here is mi error report!

Error: can't open model file <none>
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\model\modelread.cpp
Line: 1902

Also i can't see the lasers i mean they fire they hit but i just cant see them.

Edit: Corection i can not see the subach HL7 firing but the other one damn the subsystem disruptor i can see!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I would post a modified weapon table if I could, but ATM I can't.

You can try editing the weapons table yourself, according to the instructions two posts before...

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well to be honest i have no idea how to do that but i will wait till you get around to do it.

Also i see in the post that you have no mention of the subach is that also fixed with that table edit?
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm havin trouble with mission One way home. I mean i try docking with the Fury at bay 2 or 3 but hell it just sits there. Anyway around this?
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Disable and destroy the Despair. For some reason doing that triggers your orders to land on the fury. If the despair escapes, then even if you try to land, nothing happens, at least thats what happened to me.

Trashman, this campaign kicks ass. But quick question, why do the shivan bombers fire rebel bombs lol.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed this campaign rock's T man! Any other ones stashed away in your PC? :D
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )