Author Topic: [FotG Update] Fall 2022  (Read 2157 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
[FotG Update] Fall 2022
It's been a few months since our last official forum update, so all of us at Fate of the Galaxy want to share what we have been working on (new ships, fixes/optimizations, and more).

Progress Highlights
  • Added the MC40 Light Cruiser, which expands our Mon Cal Cruiser roster and fills an important role in the 600 m size range for the Rebels. Color variants are also created to provide variety for mission designers. Thanks to Dark Visor for the model and textures! 
  • Added the Vindicator and Interdictor Cruisers, which expands our Imperial cruiser roster for the Empire and opens many possibilities for mission designers, especially with the Interdictor. Thanks to Dark Visor for the model and textures! 
  • Added improved color variants and updated textures to the N-1 Starfighter (thanks Limbert!).
  • Added orange color texture options for R2 and R5, and red option for R6 droid types. 
  • Updated all submodels that used fake translation to using the new true translation method (translations are finally in FSO!). Thanks to the hard work of many devs over the years, FSO now has actual translation support. Visually, FotG was previously using a somewhat un-ideal method to fake translations (large radius with small rotation), but now we have updated those cases with proper translations. This method also has the added benefit of fixing some bounding box issues and making mod files more readable.
  • Updated feel of the gradual lock-on option. This update tunes the mechanic more for movie feel, where getting a lock takes some time, but once a lock is established it's harder to break. Again, only affects players who turn on the `Gradual Auto-aim` feature. 
  • Updated to the most recent version of movements script. The recent updates have focused on making scripted movements look natural and precise. There’s also the addition of a semi-smart path follow, where AI ships following waypoints will check for obstacles in their path, then stop if they are on course to hit something. Once the obstacle leaves then the path will resume. 
  • Updated to the most recent FSO version, which allows FotG to specify the default level for multiplayer object updating. Now, new players will not have to worry about setting it on the highest value when making a new pilot. Similarly, new players will have one less thing to do to start playing multiplayer. Also, allows FotG to specify the default shadow level so that players will not have to do the tedious job of manually changing number values in the launcher flags.
  • Updated UI logic so that the game will now automatically switch to single-player for the Techroom (to play missions there). This allows players to easily jump around to all aspects of FotG without having to manually switch between single and multiplayer modes. 
  • Updated Project Alderaan with bug fixes and balance adjustments.
  • Fixed weird shadow issues in ship and weapon loadout windows (thanks Lafiel!). 
  • Fixed name and color of ion flash from hard coded FSO yellow and "Emp" to blue and "Ion Discharge".
  • Fixed bug where the armor types on fighters/bombers for subsystems was not set for multiplayer. 
  • Fixed many, many other minor bugs, which would be much too long to list. 

Community Connections
We also would like to highlight all the fantastic work continually being done with FSO. Just to name a few, PhantomHoover and others have provided some community quality of life updates to the current Knossos launcher, Lafiel expanded LUA-AI among other features, EatThePath continues to work on lighting and visual updates and features, Goober has implemented full translations, and Cyborg and Taylor continue to update netcode and PXO. Also, there’s many other devs adding great fixes, features, and other enhancements!

Moving Forward
For folks who want to see a bit more frequent FotG updates, feel free to join our Discord channel where we post most of our informal progress: https://discord.gg/k7ZMdmt

As always, thank you all for your support and enthusiasm! We are continually getting closer to completing our final milestones for a public release. Once those goals are met and polished, we will be extremely excited to share the game with everyone. In the meantime, here are some shots of new craft. May the Force be with you!

Re: [FotG Update] Fall 2022
Good job on progress cant wsit to play if ready

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I can't believe I missed this! Glad to see that progress on FotG is going well, and at encouraging rates also.

I really, really love what you did to the N-1, which is so far my favorite spacecraft in the entire SW continuity.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline wookieejedi

Thank you both for your enthusiasm, we appreciate it! And agreed, the N-1 is one of my favorite ships too, and it fills a quite useful niche in FotG.  :)

Offline wesp5

Now that SW Squadrons is a freebie on the Epic Store, I don't think LucasArts will do anything once this gets released. Space Combat Simulators seem to be a rather small gaming niche after all...

Release this year possible?   :shaking:

Offline wookieejedi

Thanks for the support! Alas, given there’s only about a month left to this year we likely won’t be public ally releasing within 2022. But we are using the end of the year as an internal deadline to complete some important milestones, which ultimately will bring us closer to meeting our goals for a public release  :)

Thanks for the answer, can`t wait playing this. My most awaited mod/TC ever!!

Offline wookieejedi

We can’t wait for folks to play it!