Author Topic: Earth display error on first mission  (Read 1284 times)

Offline wasabi

Earth display error on first mission
I'm sure I'm not the first to get such an error, but I can't find a FAQ thread (other than the Troubleshooting one, which didn't apply) to peruse, so here it is:

On the first mission (discovering Earth is a wreck), I can't see Earth. In its place are a series of grey lines. I recently installed FSOpen using the installer. I'm running on a release build (-r). However, the remainder of the elements (the damaged escape pod and rescue ship) are fine. However, this is as far as I've played, so I don't know if other planets will have the same issue.

Attached is a screenshot of the error, just to be clear.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Earth display error on first mission
This is very easy to fix! Unfortunately your video card (through no fault of your own) can't handle high-res skybox textures. Go into the blueplanet (and blueplanet2) folders and remove the 'adv' VPs. Just stick them somewhere safe outside your FS2 directory.

Problem should go away!

Offline wasabi

Yep, that did it!

Too bad I can't get the advanced graphics, because even these basic ones are amazing!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think there's an enormous difference. Best of luck, and enjoy.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
On that resolution, advanced graphics won't make much difference, since all they do in the latest release is to add a couple of hi-res effect and texture files.
I think that the most noticable change is the addition of animated beam glows, but unfortunately, your card most likely won't handle them well either.
You're not missing much by playing without advanced VP, difference starts to be visible if you have a larger screen and a better video card.