Author Topic: WiH No HUD, Shift-O doesn't work!  (Read 1375 times)

Offline XCon

WiH No HUD, Shift-O doesn't work!
I am an avid fan of Freespace series, recently found out about the mods and reinstalled my GOG version :-) Played through BP:AoA, but now on WiH, from the very beginning, I have no HUD. Shift-O does nothing. I've scoured these forums and come up with nothing. I registered an account so I could get help, and I don't know how to use these forums. I have a fairly high-end custom gaming rig, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. There were no files in BP2/data/tables, so I put the double HUD fix file in there, mv_root-hdg.tbm, but still got nothing. tried every build possible, different MediaVp's (original VS. 2014) I'm running fs2_open_3_7_1_SSE2_BP (inferno) I've been at it for hours now, and I can't figure it out! Please help!

Edit: I finally narrowed it down to resolution - my TV requires a weird res to show the whole screen (1176 x 664) and while it worked fine in BP:AoA, in WiH, I get no HUD unless I change res in launcher to something standard. Problem is I lose 1" all the way around the screen as I have to shrink it with the NVControl Panel to fit on this TV. Any suggestions as to why this res worked in AoA but not in WiH, or how to fix it?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:40:30 am by XCon »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: WiH No HUD, Shift-O doesn't work!
I believe that AoA uses a standard HUD, whereas WiH uses a modified HUD. This could account for the HUD working in AoA but not WiH.

Could you post or link to the double-HUD-fix mv_root-hdg.tbm file that you used?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I believe that AoA uses a standard HUD, whereas WiH uses a modified HUD. This could account for the HUD working in AoA but not WiH.

Could you post or link to the double-HUD-fix mv_root-hdg.tbm file that you used?

BP uses a custom HUD. That HUD has a minimum res of 1280x720. No exceptions, and no 4:3 aspect.
Code: [Select]
#Gauge Config
$Base: (1440, 900)
$Required Aspect: Wide Screen
$Min: (1280, 720)
$Max: (1920, 1080)

So I'm going to fix another HUD problem.  :D

XCon: Before using this, understand that the BP guys made a minimum res for this HUD for a reason. It is designed to be used at 720p or higher. Things may overlap with this solution. Unfortunetly, there is no way around this short of making your own HUD from scratch.

Try putting the attached TBM into your Blueplanet2\Data\Tables\ folder. I has a lowered minimum resolution (1137x640) so it will accept your TV's weird res.

Oh and remove the double-hud for the first test. Only put it back if needed.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline XCon

Niffiwan, the file is located here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/Blue%20Planet/bp2_fixed_hud.zip it goes in your BP2/Data/Tables folder. Consequently, many (including myself) have found some if not complete relief by changing resolutions to something much higher, 1680 x 1050 i think it is, to make a true 16:10. Try that if you havent and see if you can make any headway. If not, I'm sure there's minds here that know much, much more than I.

KyadCK, As for my TV problem, it's a very large TV, lol, and the HUD fits squarely in the middle of the screen with plenty of room to spare! I have a double Shield/Engine/Gun gauge, but I can work with that!

I am truly a peasant among Kings :-)

Thank you for your time, you guys are all amazing. The work you're doing here is spectacular, I had given up on FS waiting for the third installment, lol. You guys brought back something I didn't think I was ever gonna have again. I stumbled upon this site doing my ever-so-often check for the big three - Half-Life 3, Portal 3, and Freespace 3 :-)

I'm glad I checked it out, there's many hours of new gameplay for an old classic that never should have died.

Offline Yarn

Try downloading that file again. I changed the minimum resolutions for both the 4:3 and 16:10 configurations to 1024x600, the absolute lowest resolution that uses the high-resolution graphics. As far as I can tell, there was never any good reason to set it specifically to 1280x720. (There's no reason for specifying a maximum, either.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:28:44 am by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
As far as I can tell, there was never any good reason to set it specifically to 1280x720. (There's no reason for specifying a maximum, either.)

There is, but not for this. I needed to use min and max resolutions to get Eyefinity and Widescreen aspects working together since they both use "Wide Screen", but Eyefinity needs the centering. So if you want to support tri-monitor...

But ya, no need for normal single-monitor stuff which is 99% of people.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them