Author Topic: The Hades-class destroyer  (Read 13272 times)

Re: The Hades-class destroyer
question?   is someone thinking of doing an HTL version of the hades???   ship still looks kick ass.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
question?   is someone thinking of doing an HTL version of the hades???   ship still looks kick ass.

There's the Hera, but that's got many polys and isn't very authentic. But that's all I know of. There's probably one that is in progress that is either abandoned or one I don't know about

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Hey does anyone know if any GTVA warships are capable of atmosferic flight??
Only vasudan cargo contaiiners are stated to be atmospheric in FS1.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Probably, since they're capable of space fight, its a given that they can fight inside a planets atmosphere, given the planet isnt too unstable. (e.g , a planet like Jupiter)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well iwa s just thinking about the Hecate since with those fins on it it looks like it could fly through atmostfere and maybe even fight. Or like stated above it they have suficient antigrav tech. Now that would be cool 2 warships ducking it out in the atmosphere!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Whatever fighters were guarding that Satis in the CB ani when the Lucifer attacks Vasuda Prime.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dysko

IMO all bombers and fighters can perform atmpospheric flight. I know that some fighters/bombers have an airframe that can't produce lift (like the Ursa), but you don't need it if your engines produce a lot of thrust. So, my view is that fighters/bombers have extremely powerful engines that enable atmospheric flight (and also thrusters to change the flight direction that are used also in space). After all, if the Harbinger was designed for "planetary assault" (it's stated in a FS1 comm brief), there is the need for something to carry it (unless it's launched from warships in space and, when it runs out of fuel, it falls like a ballistic bomb :nervous:).

Also, transports should be able to fly in atmosphere. Why? Well... it's the only way to ferry huge numbers of people from the surface to the space... Again, they would fly without producing lift, relying only on huge amounts of thrust.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
How much thrust does a craft operating in a frictionless environment at relatively low speeds need, anyways?

Command briefings describe the Lucifer bombarding Vasuda Prime from orbit - to me that makes it more likely the GTA / PVN (and of course GTVA) would use similar orbital attacks, because otherwise you have to face a whole new wave of AAAf fire to deliver your bombs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:49:46 am by aldo_14 »

Offline Dysko

Probably orbital attacks would be possible only with beams (non-canon references: in Sol: A History and Inferno R1 there are planned orbital attacks, though it's not said anywhere if they are carried out with beams). IMO, in the FS1 era ground attacks had still to be carried out in the "old way", also because warheads launched from orbit could be shoot down with Patriot-like missiles.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well if they poses thge capabilaty to induce artificial gravity the they must have the abilaty to produce anti-grav. fields around they ships. At least in my opinion. Also some fighters look really streamline and with those wings on them lokk almost like they were designed to be operated into atmosphere! 

As for the planetary bombardmant i agree they must of been done with beams beacause using bombs would be kind of pointless since they would be shot down relatively easy.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Probably orbital attacks would be possible only with beams (non-canon references: in Sol: A History and Inferno R1 there are planned orbital attacks, though it's not said anywhere if they are carried out with beams). IMO, in the FS1 era ground attacks had still to be carried out in the "old way", also because warheads launched from orbit could be shoot down with Patriot-like missiles.

That depends how fast they're flying, how straight their trajectory is, decoy technology, etc - it's not as if anyones managed to get a working anti-ICBM weapon in modern time, and the offensive technology would be expected to advance at a similar rate to defensive (IMO, anyways).  Possible that EMP weapons exist to knock out ground based early warning systems, too.  Of course, it could be that lasers are effective in atmosphere.....

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
We've seen Horus fighters and Satis Transports / Freighters fly, and we know several Zod containers can be used in the atmosphere as well.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Well, I seem to remember someone worked out the energy output in the standard laser turrets...something in the low hekatons range?
(10 hekatons=1 kiloton)

So...if you took over the space surrounding a planet after a set-piece battle, your warships would assume orbit and begin firing laser turrets in the way WWII bombers dropped carpet bombs...

Each bomb wasnt powerful enough to do a HUGE amount of devastation (i.e. a whole factory complex) but a ****load would take out the factory complex and most surrounding area. So, the fleet bombarding the planet with (relatively) low output laser batteries for a day or so would devastate population or industrial centers. 

Plus, your Fenris and Leviathans have those cute little fusion mortars.

If THAT didnt work (resilient population, bombardment shelters, etc.), simply target planetary defenses, and send in the GTTs loaded with loyal GTA cannon fodder. Plus tanks, space and air craft, vehicles...etc. And have a nice little ground war with the ground-pounders.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The GTVA doesn't have enough planets to go around destroying them all

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Only vasudan cargo contaiiners are stated to be atmospheric in FS1.

What?

FS1 Tech Room Description
The standard Vasudan cargo container is only slightly different from our own. The primary difference is that the Vasudan cargo containers are atmospheric as well as deep-space. Vasudans used cargo containers well before we did, as they needed to transport raw materials from other systems to their own barren world. Our cargo container was modelled after theirs, although ours is slightly superior in durability.

Source: FS Wiki.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline FSW

Maybe the GTVA did build another Hades. You just didn't need to know about it.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Maybe the GTVA did build another Hades. You just didn't need to know about it.

Hard to see a point, though - it was rather feeble by FS2 standards, at least in terms of (likely) cost-to-power.  That's assuming the FS2 version is intended to be representative of a reconstructed Hades, of course.  It's very hard to judge.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Mad Bomber's 66 turret hades wasn't too feeble. Neither was the Hera. But they're non canon (go away, Mars).

Offline Roanoke

I did a Hades with a load more turrets for that Blitzerland fella but I don't suppose it ever saw the light of day