Which game did you enjoy most?

Freespace 1
15 (37.5%)
Freespace 1:Silent Threat
0 (0%)
Freespace 2
25 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Which game did you enjoy most?  (Read 3918 times)

Which game did you enjoy most?
Pretty self-explanatory. Myself, i enjoyed Freepace 2 more. Freespace 1 had a certain 'old school charm' about it, but the missions in Freespace 2 were much better. The sense of fear that some missions put into you, of panic, urgency, and a downright hatred of the shivans that you learnt (They just kept coming!   :mad2: )

p.s , apologies if this thread has already been made. I always make sure to check 5 pages back in a forum to make sure i'm not double posting, and i didnt see it.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Which game did you enjoy most?
FS2 felt more epic IMHO.

*EDIT* BTW Where is the Snuffleupagus option? *EDIT*
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Uhh...hard to decide.. Playing FS1 Port and FS2 with SCP, tehy're both sso friginly good. Fs1 had a somewhat better atmosphere in my oppinion, but FS2 has slightly better mission design..and beamz...

ARGH! Can't decide!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

The beamz....THE BEAMZ! It was all about the beamz lol.  :lol:

Definitely  Freespace 2, for me.

Sure, Freespace 1 is a good game, too. But it has some boring missions and in Silent Threat i enjoyed the Single Missions (contains the campaign(s) The Road to Victory and/or Destiny of Peace when i remember correct), more, than the ST Main Campaign.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I seem to recall having seen this somewhere before... Anyway, I liked FS1 better. It was sooo intense and the Shivs were a much bigger threat. Let's examine the difference.

FS1 :

"The Taranis just jumped in! OMGWTFROTFLMAOBBQ GET OUT OF THERE! WE CAN'T DESTROY A CAIN!!

FS2 :

"A Cain just jumped in. :o We need to destroy it. Scrambling 11/2 unarmed ships to destroy it.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Undecided. Though I figure FS1 felt more scary at the very first play. I mean, flying a tiny little Apollo and then there's a huge SSD jumping right in front, headed towards you and stuffs... gave me a few nightmares back then.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

no contest. 2.

Offline Shade

I defihnitely enjoyed FS2 more, though FS1 has a clearly higher creepiness factor. The whole no shields thing in the first part of the campaign ingrained in me a deep fear of getting hit even once, which made some of the later engagements quite harrowing to me - always worrying that I might get jumped by a horde of shivans who would mercilessly pound down my defenseless ship with their superior numbers. In that way, it was a bit like playing TIE Fighter again, which *almost* makes up for the shortcomings it has compared to FS2 :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
We need to get that atmosphere back...the only way I can figure to get that feeling of dread and suspense...is to either have the GVA loose shields..or beef up shivan fighter weapons by a factor of 3 (at least)...with addition to AI increase...

That way you WILL fear a Mara
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
FS2. Because i can't stand it when the capital ship says "We'll handle the other capital ship!" and then you and your wingmen sit around playing cards while waiting for the capital ships to chip each other to death with their wee lasers. At least, thats how it felt in the FS1 port.

But fs2 is definitely better. I get more of a kick dodging beams and flak then dodging slow-moving blob lasers.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
FS2. I played it first. I felt that FS2 sounded/looked/felt better then FS1--FS1 was awesome but it just felt... empty... when I played it on the port. No sleepless nights in FS1... I thought the game would be much longer too--it felt (to me) too short.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
The FS1 missions were somewhat boring at times.
Mainly just the first few, when all you're seeing of the war is tit-for-tat fighter/cruiser action (and not so much cruisers anyhow).

I suppose thats how it would be in real life, but eh. At least in FS2's first mission you get to see the Psamtik shank the Belisarius...hehe. i liked that one.

FS2 definitely had better voice acting though. Robert Loggia was incredible as Admiral Petrarch.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I enjoyed FS1 better.

Colecampbell666 put it very well.

Offline Cyker

The start of FS1 was cool, but overall FS2.
The later FS1 missions tend to have a lot of 'dead-time'...

Beam cannons are sooooo pretty.... ;)

I must be honest 'tho, XvT is still my fav. multiplayer space sim and TIE Fighter my fav. single-player space sim :)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Hmm, I like Freespace because it was scary, but the Capship battles took forever.(Unless it was a Lucifer ;)  ).I also like Freespace2 because  of beams (shiny SO SHINY!!!!).But as Colecampbell666 put it, fs1 was better.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
hehe no one likes st

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
hehe no one likes st
Well, it...sucks.

Seriously.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
ST was horrible... still, FS2 > FS1... FS1 took too long and way too much empty-time towards the end. For FS2, so much of it was better-made.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FS1 had more horror (unstoppable destroyer); FS2 had better weapons tech.. when I first heard that wingman (woman, whatever) blabbing about how great our tech is now in FS2, I thought "Oh, boy, here we go..."  I know better.  Shivans pwn.