Author Topic: Promotions in FS2  (Read 6232 times)

This may have been addressed before, but i did a search in the forums and found nothing on it. I've played the original FS1 campaign and they were much more generous with promotions then in FS2. Are there any set areas or missions where you can get a promotion?

I'm playing FS2 through again, since its been so long, and im already up to flying with the vasudans in the nebula, and im still ensign!  :ick:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Look at the rank.tbl in both games. That should show if they require more or less points.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Look at the rank.tbl in both games. That should show if they require more or less points.

thanks , that helped  :D

Offline Shade

Another thing to consider is the difficulty setting. You will advance much slower than average on very easy, and a fair bit slower on easy, as you get fewer points for kills.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

I made it to made it to leieutenant (or however the hell thats spelled) in the missions in FS2

Here is a hint: Keeop your wingman alive, order them to depart if you need to.

I also jumped from ensign to lieutenant after 'High Noon', the mission where the Sathanas is destroyed. I claimed the Sathanas as a kill by contributing to its destruction. I hit it with about 20 helios, constantly reloading. I didnt do much damage, but it registered as a kill, and i think its worth several thousand points. I also claimed the Demon in the previous mission as a kill.

Claiming large ships helps contribute to the points, although there are certain missions where you get promoted for completing certain objectives (not entirely sure which though, still looking into it)

I made it to made it to lieutenant (or however the hell thats spelled) in the missions in FS2

Here is a hint: Keep your wingman alive, order them to depart if you need to.

I do that all the time...i'm still a lieutenant jr. grade...:mad:

Wait, you mean you LOSE points if your wing mates die???
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
in FS1 there's grant promotion sexp's used in the campaign, so you need only play though it 6 or 7 times before you were an admiral
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

and they call you a cheater for being an admiral!
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Play on a higher difficulty. You get a lot more points on hard or insane than something like very easy. Also, try to get warship kills whenever you can (do at least 30% of non-beam damage to them). The Sathanas kill in particular is a must have, especially on insane.

I also jumped from ensign to lieutenant after 'High Noon', the mission where the Sathanas is destroyed. I claimed the Sathanas as a kill by contributing to its destruction. I hit it with about 20 helios, constantly reloading. I didnt do much damage, but it registered as a kill, and i think its worth several thousand points. I also claimed the Demon in the previous mission as a kill.

Claiming large ships helps contribute to the points, although there are certain missions where you get promoted for completing certain objectives (not entirely sure which though, still looking into it)

Promoted before that, after disabling all 4 beam cannons... my most made mistake in that mission is not getting away in time... where's snipes when you need him?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hah, I disabled the four beam cannons of the Sathanas, the forward flak guns, the defensive aft beam, destroyed the Beleth and saved the Thebes, but jumped out before killing the second wave of Gemini, and had to do it all over again. :doubt:

Hah, I disabled the four beam cannons of the Sathanas, the forward flak guns, the defensive aft beam, destroyed the Beleth and saved the Thebes, but jumped out before killing the second wave of Gemini, and had to do it all over again. :doubt:

Ditto, i hate that mission now :lol:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

every second time i play the second gemeni wing doesnt even warp in.i think it has something to do with the order you kill everything.

Wow, that happened to you too? I remember disabling all the beam turrets, the flak turrets, killed the Demon, but then jumped out before killing that last wing. It was really frustrating because it took me like 10 tries just to get everything done perfectly.

you dont HAVE to take out the flak guns. You dont gain anything from it really.

....except that it's much easier to acquire and maintain torpedo lock when you're not being hammered by flak shells.  Knocking out the flak battery early makes it easier to take out more beam cannons on the Sathanas.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
in FS1 there's grant promotion sexp's used in the campaign, so you need only play though it 6 or 7 times before you were an admiral

There's probably a demotion SEXP, too, because I once got a "Dang, you're still an ensign? You must have really screwed up" message after the end. (literally.)

Anyways, when I played FS1 on insane I was commodore by Clash of the Titans. Never thought you could make anything higher though, the manual doesn't mention them and after 3 playthroughs on hard I never got anything higher.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

....except that it's much easier to acquire and maintain torpedo lock when you're not being hammered by flak shells.  Knocking out the flak battery early makes it easier to take out more beam cannons on the Sathanas.

I don't really mind being hammered by the long range flaks, I get VERY lucky if I destroy them by the time I finish with the Beam Cannons
Gemini Wing shows up after I blow up Beleth, that happens like 30 seconds after I kill it. I guess some people are careless to jump when we weren't supposed to (no offense to anyone).
I jumped to Lieutenant Commander playing on Very Easy... never tried Easy+  :P

EDIT: OH and I don't get a beam  :mad:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:57:42 am by someddrnoob »

I don't really mind being hammered by the long range flaks, I get VERY lucky if I destroy them by the time I finish with the Beam Cannons
Gemini Wing shows up after I blow up Beleth, that happens like 30 seconds after I kill it. I guess some people are careless to jump when we weren't supposed to (no offense to anyone).
I jumped to Lieutenant Commander playing on Very Easy... never tried Easy+  :P

wimp.  :ick:

My most difficult mission was the first SOC mission, protecting the Iceni against vasudans AND the asteroids. I kept having to replay the mission, mainly because the only way to take down the sobek is for the Iceni to do it, but it varies in flight positions alot. I attacked the sobeks main guns while the other fighters were on it, so the beam cannons werent just focused on me. Once its main guns were down, i could ignore it.

I dont care what other ppl say, a sobek is much more dangerous to fighters and bombers then a Diemos is.