Author Topic: Beam cannons, a real life theory?  (Read 12580 times)

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Re: Beam cannons, a real life theory?
Not REALLY...mass can be converted to energy but that doesn't mean it's the same...mass has completely different properties.

hi,
and the best converter that we know is a black hole, but it convert only 40% of the mass in energy.

@alpha: heh i want shields, phaser and antimatter torpedos for my car  :mad2:  :D

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you forgot warp engines or better yet traswarp engines...:D
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
carship enterprise  :D

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yo science dudes give it a rest my head ghas grown by 3 sizes just by reading some of your posts...! Lets get back to the posibilaty of blowing stuff up big time ! In other words someone build me  a god damn freaking beam cannon for......err........personal usage such as gardening home wreck....building....building streets carving up mountains for the hell of it.....sculpting my face on the side of everest ina gigantic 100x100 m fabulous portrait so that people can say i'm an alien or the big man himself! :D :P

Egads!
MY fellow science "dudes", it appears out intelectual debate over the basic laws that regulate our perception of reality has indeed managed to trigger a chain reaction of most peculiar proportions, leading to a restructuring of DNA and increase of volume of the cerebral cortex - probably the result of the increased traffic trough the synapses, saturating the neural pathways. To save itself from an informational overload the brain was forced to adapt, releasing chemichal coumpound that triggered a DNA change!

This phenomena requires more study...and far more debating!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Not REALLY...mass can be converted to energy but that doesn't mean it's the same...mass has completely different properties.

Mass and energy are really just two facets of the same quantity. Note the way that the mass of a particle increases as its velocity increases due to relativistic effects; this is why there's a distinction drawn between a particle's 'rest mass' and its mass at a certain velocity.

Also note that particle masses are almost always given in electron-volts (ev), which is a unit of energy. If you're measuring mass with energy, that suggests they're pretty much the same, doesn't it?

Mass and energy are one and the same.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:27:45 am by General Battuta »

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
and the best converter that we know is a black hole, but it convert only 40% of the mass in energy.

What?
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Mass and energy are really just two facets of the same quantity. Note the way that the mass of a particle increases as its velocity increases due to relativistic effects; this is why there's a distinction drawn between a particle's 'rest mass' and its mass at a certain velocity.

Also note that particle masses are almost always given in electron-volts (ev), which is a unit of energy. If you're measuring mass with energy, that suggests they're pretty much the same, doesn't it?

Mass and energy are one and the same.

Hm, well, since when is a particle ever at rest?  @ 0o Kelvin?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
At rest in the reference frame, I believe - it's all relative, after all!

Except the speed of light. That's never relative.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TMan did you just.......you didnt did you???

Also what is the pojnt of all this mass to energi converting thingy when we are talking about beam cannons which from FS point of view are suposed to use some sort of plasma as theyr primary amunitions so to speak. So in a way it may not be laser beams but rather something else altoghether!

And wtf?? a bad a** black hole converts only 40%?? Then what ghappens with the rest????
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Agent_Koopa

And wtf?? a bad a** black hole converts only 40%?? Then what ghappens with the rest????

I wasn't aware a "badass black hole" converted any mass to energy.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Black holes slowly lose mass in the form of Hawking radiation.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey

hi,
eat it.
if mass rush into a blackhole its begin to circling around it, thereby get it hot and went to plasma.
some of that plasma, 40%, go so superhot that it can escape as energiespike on the poles of the blackhole and the rest of that mass are absorb by the blackhole.

thats want i can remember me, maybe theres some little misstakes  :(

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline Agent_Koopa

hi,
eat it.
if mass rush into a blackhole its begin to circling around it, thereby get it hot and went to plasma.
some of that plasma, 40%, go so superhot that it can escape as energiespike on the poles of the blackhole and the rest of that mass are absorb by the blackhole.

thats want i can remember me, maybe theres some little misstakes  :(

Mehrpack

But that doesn't happen all the time, and are you implying the the plasma picks up so much energy that it escapes the gravitational pull? If so, then that doesn't count as becoming energy. But if you mean that it actually becomes energy...

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then i supose there are some things that can escape the huge gravitational pull of a black hole!

Damn we need to get our hands on some tech to reproduce the phenomenon and make it usefull to us!
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
like...

$Mass: -10000000

and...

$Blast force: -1000000000

----

i think that would do just fine.

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
But that doesn't happen all the time, and are you implying the the plasma picks up so much energy that it escapes the gravitational pull? If so, then that doesn't count as becoming energy. But if you mean that it actually becomes energy...

hi,
yeah, the super hot plasma chance to energy and some of the energy can escape in spikes on the pols of the blackhole.
i read my post again and i think it didnt really good writing it  :(.

then i supose there are some things that can escape the huge gravitational pull of a black hole!

Damn we need to get our hands on some tech to reproduce the phenomenon and make it usefull to us!

if you have enough energy you can escape the gravitationfield of a blackhole, but theres another problem.
the gravitation has effect on the time, too, and a blackhole should have enough graviation to slow down the time.
so maybe you can escape but in the meantime many day, months or years has passed you.

Mehrpack
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:44:05 pm by Mehrpack »
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I know what he's talking about, and he's right, at least if the Discovery Channel is right.  It escapes in bursts (of gamma radiation, I think) along the vertical axis of the black hole.

Offline Agent_Koopa

I know what he's talking about, and he's right, at least if the Discovery Channel is right.  It escapes in bursts (of gamma radiation, I think) along the vertical axis of the black hole.

Alright, thanks. That's very interesting. I assume this is a rotating black hole then? Hmm... does the plasma just randomly decay into gamma radiation?

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Alright, thanks. That's very interesting. I assume this is a rotating black hole then? Hmm... does the plasma just randomly decay into gamma radiation?

hi,
how do you mean rotation? that the spikes are random over the blackhole?
everytime if i say pictures the matter was concentrated on a wafer around the hole and the spikes was in a 90° angle on both poles.

like so:
         - gas/x-ray streams
        |
____|____ - matterwafer
        |
        |

but i think the wikipedia entry can you better answer your question as me and he looks really interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_holes

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
According to quantum theory there's a small chance I could fall through my floor at any moment.

It's definitely weird.
Quantum physics doesn't really scale up to macroscopic levels.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta