Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621947 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
I got impatient, and did anyway :P.  I'm up to level 16, just rescued roland.  I sense a lot of the events and characters referred to happened in 1.  Even without comparison to 1, the loot system is a little aggravating in 2.  If one of the major elements of the game is looting, good GOD give us somewhere to put it.  And I feel like I'm awful far into the game without having all of my weapon slots yet.

I never had enough bank slots in that game...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I got impatient, and did anyway :P.  I'm up to level 16, just rescued roland.  I sense a lot of the events and characters referred to happened in 1.  Even without comparison to 1, the loot system is a little aggravating in 2.  If one of the major elements of the game is looting, good GOD give us somewhere to put it.  And I feel like I'm awful far into the game without having all of my weapon slots yet.

Sell anything you don't use.  Seriously, there's no point in keeping it with how fast you level up.  A gun you get now that's really great will be average at best in three levels, and totally useless in five.  And that's before you hit the higher difficulty modes, where guns go from good to barely useful in two levels.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So I just parked my Chaffee in a bush on the West side of Prok, 4025 damage on my spots, 1048 base XP, 1st personal mission done. With the daily double factored in I made 3144XP, between the profit on the match and all the bonus for the Personal Mission I probably netted 115,000 credits :P

I almost I feel dirty for making that amount of haul for so little effort.  This must be what it feels like to arty :D

Seriously if your strapped for credits even if you don't want the reward tanks these missions are worth doing.  Unfortunately looks like you have to play an SPG in order to finish the campaign  :blah:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I almost I feel dirty for making that amount of haul for so little effort.  This must be what it feels like to arty :D

Arty is an unfun, pathetic wasteland of huge effort for little gain.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

highest arty i have is T:3 its a pita to play

thanks to the personal missions though I have finally broken into tier 6 with the AT-8
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

highest arty i have is T:3 its a pita to play

thanks to the personal missions though I have finally broken into tier 6 with the AT-8

My only arty is the GWPanther at Tier VII.
I call it the party boat because of how effective it is.

The huge gun arc from having a turret allows me to have a chance at hitting scouts that are on the move, and anything I pen will be near wrecked, if not dead.
That said, I rarely play arty now because of how boring it can be compared to the rest of the tanks out there.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It can still be effective, but it's not fun at all.

Edit: unless you have a LeBiff.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Arty is about generating rage, not combat effectiveness.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I actually really enjoy my arty. My SU-14-1, while you have to be very careful and a little lucky to score a hit, hits like nothing else, even with just the 152mm.
There's no other way to reach clear across a map to smack some heavy who missed the page about staying in cover at all times.
And the rage is delicious.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Planetary Annihilation.

Blew up a planet while nuking it; I have yet smash a planet into a planet though. :(

Had no idea you could disable the death stars until today, just throw a planet at the controller slots or exhaust port.

Lastly: all glory to the mod launcher!

Arty is about generating rage, not combat effectiveness.

I would say that Arty is one of, if not the most, team-reliant weapon class.
You won't be terribly effective unless your team scouts well, and even then, some maps just hate arty.
... like himmelsdorf... or most maps with a lot of city in them.

Of course, you can always play it like a ridiculous TD.

Offline CKid

My Obj261 loves going TD mode.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Lorric

Isn't it annoying when something in a game completely changes without you knowing? In this case it's not really annoying because I think it's superior, but let me explain. I've been playing Advance Wars: Dark Conflict.

I've had it a while but only been seriously playing it recently. In the last I believe 3, 2 for sure Advance Wars games, your technique score is based on the % of your units lost. Therefore if you pump out more units, you can soften the blow to your technique score.

So naturally when in full control of a battle, I've been pumping out as many cheap units as possible to improve my technique score. But I've been getting low technique scores and after a particularly dominant victory and getting a low technique score I knew something was up, so took to the wonderful World of the internet to find out what.

So now doing this works against you instead of for you. Your technique is now based on getting the job done with as few units as possible. Each new unit is 1pt against you, and each unit lost is 1pt against you. It's probably superior since you can't exploit it to an extent like the previous system, and getting more done with less while minimising losses is probably a truer test of your technique.

The power rating has also changed, but not in such an opposite fashion, and is also probably superior, since the old power rating was based upon the most kills in a single turn and the less enemy units the enemy pumps out the better, now it's based roughly on killing things in one hit to raise it and killing things in 3 or more hits drops it, so it's now about your performance over the whole battle rather than setting up for one single turn where you can kill a lot of units.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Plugging away at the Personal Missions and its moving along pretty good, that said the final missions for the Heavy and TD lines look a little... um daunting.

The only Heavy in my stable is the trusty T29 and while I'll take her against pretty much anything from a defilade position, 8000HP in damage caused, taken or blocked?

I guess I'll have to hope for a arty-less match and just poke my mantlet over a ridge and hope everybody on the enemy team takes a shot while APCR spamming higher tier Heavies for all the HP they got?  I am only 20,000 away from the T32, that might have the DPM to nab the mission reqs.

On the TD side they want 4000 HP in damage.  While that's probably not a big deal for a Waffle but all my TDs are Tier VI and below besides an E25.  I've had some pretty great games with them but not 4000 damage great.  I'll be getting the JagdPanther soon, so hopefully I can get a super purple performance out of it :P

Plugging away at the Personal Missions and its moving along pretty good, that said the final missions for the Heavy and TD lines look a little... um daunting.

The only Heavy in my stable is the trusty T29 and while I'll take her against pretty much anything from a defilade position, 8000HP in damage caused, taken or blocked?

I guess I'll have to hope for a arty-less match and just poke my mantlet over a ridge and hope everybody on the enemy team takes a shot while APCR spamming higher tier Heavies for all the HP they got?  I am only 20,000 away from the T32, that might have the DPM to nab the mission reqs.

On the TD side they want 4000 HP in damage.  While that's probably not a big deal for a Waffle but all my TDs are Tier VI and below besides an E25.  I've had some pretty great games with them but not 4000 damage great.  I'll be getting the JagdPanther soon, so hopefully I can get a super purple performance out of it :P

I'm more concerned with the final mission of the light tank line.
I don't have very many LT, despite having a fairly nice number of modules unlocked already for my run through the German light line to the Ru 251.

My JPanther basically blows away all the TD missions without too much trouble, and the SPGs aren't too hard with my GWPanther.

I am a little concerned with the medium missions. The missions themselves aren't too hard, but I don't have a lot of medium tanks to rely on above tier 5.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I think an Easy 8 or Cromwell could plow through most of the medium missions no sweat.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've been playing World of Tanks just trying to get enough exp to unlock the KV-1 (so I can train the crew that came with my Churchill III before crew discounts end).

Unfortunately, since I've never played the T-28 before, I've had to try and slog through with it barely upgraded (KV-1 only requires upgrades to the engine, and I spent 500 on a better gun because the T-46's top howitzer wasn't cutting it), and so... I haven't done that well at all in it. And it's a pity, since I know that that T-28 can be a good tank, but my inexperience with it, coupled by the fact that at the moment I can't spend any experience on upgrading it, means that it's just been so frustrating for me. Fortunately I only need just under 300 experience then I'll have enough T-28 + free experience to unlock the KV-1.

I'll keep the T-28 (or at least the crew) around so I can try it again later, because I know it deserves better. :)

I've been playing World of Tanks just trying to get enough exp to unlock the KV-1 (so I can train the crew that came with my Churchill III before crew discounts end).

Unfortunately, since I've never played the T-28 before, I've had to try and slog through with it barely upgraded (KV-1 only requires upgrades to the engine, and I spent 500 on a better gun because the T-46's top howitzer wasn't cutting it), and so... I haven't done that well at all in it. And it's a pity, since I know that that T-28 can be a good tank, but my inexperience with it, coupled by the fact that at the moment I can't spend any experience on upgrading it, means that it's just been so frustrating for me. Fortunately I only need just under 300 experience then I'll have enough T-28 + free experience to unlock the KV-1.

I'll keep the T-28 (or at least the crew) around so I can try it again later, because I know it deserves better. :)

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "train the crew that came with the Churchill III". You use premium tanks to train the crews of your regular tanks, not the other way around~

Some of the more well-known tank reviewers rate the T-28 as... one of the worst mediums in the game with a few exceptions. (its' armor is terrible)
On the plus side, I consider the KV-1 to be the best heavy tier for tier in the game. It's very well-rounded with a good gun and very good armor for its tier. It's a good heavy to introduce players to playing on heavy tanks because it isn't that fast, but it's not the slowest tank out there either.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
T-28 is an evil tank to grind.  and it does feel like grinding as well.
On the plus side JerichoDeath is right, that KV-1 while lacks a little in speed is massive fun to drive and learn how to heavy, also because the tank is excellent you rack up the XP really quickly.

As for Premiums
1) the crew transfer penalty only works taking a crew trained for another tank into the Premium, a crew specifically trained for the premium tank going into a regular tank still gets the penalty.
2) Not only do premium tanks start with elite status (thus you can throw all the xp into training) but there is a training bonus to the crew while they are operating it.

Typically what would happen is that the Prem tank is bought crewless and you shift the crew of a regular tank of that nation+weight class across to give them a little training boost, for example to push the last few percent on their skills
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I bought my Churchill III in the premium shop so it came with a crew in it. I trained them for the KV-1 once I unlocked it. That's what I mean when I said I trained my Churchill III crew (I've had other premiums for a while so I know how crew interact with them).

I hadn't started the line yet when I bought it, though, hence why I had to grind through the T-26, T-46 and T-28. But I've always known that the KV-1 was a pretty decent performer so it'll be interesting to get behind the wheel of it myself. Definitely looking forward to it if you can learn how to play a heavy tank well in it, since if I'm honest I'm not that brilliant yet at the other main heavy tank I own, the Tiger (P). :)