Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 622080 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
I hadn't started the line yet when I bought it, though, hence why I had to grind through the T-26, T-46 and T-28. But I've always known that the KV-1 was a pretty decent performer so it'll be interesting to get behind the wheel of it myself. Definitely looking forward to it if you can learn how to play a heavy tank well in it, since if I'm honest I'm not that brilliant yet at the other main heavy tank I own, the Tiger (P). :)

The Tiger P is quite a different beast, and one I know well (I have a 56% WR in it)
Although most good tankers know the weakpoints in the Tiger P's extremely thick frontal armor, they can't effectively aim for them at a distance, making the heavy a very good sniper tank when angled well. It's also unusually fast, given its weight, making it decent at ramming mediums and lights. (by "fast", I mean that it can reach its top speed relatively easily on a flat surface)

On the other hand, the tank that comes after it, the VK4502A, is considered by many to be the worst tier 8 heavy in the game. I disagree. It's my favorite tier 8 heavy tank. It moves extremely fast for a heavy, has very high DPM, and it's very accurate, even on the move. It's the only tank I have Brothers in Arms perk with. It's suggested to play it like a big medium tank with a decent health pool, or a Hunter Killer to murder mediums with since it can keep up with them on the battlefield.

(I also have the Tier 9 VK4502B, but I don't want to make my post too long... ^.^)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I don't particularly like the VK 4502 A as a heavy tank.  It's not a very good tier 8 heavy, though to be fair tier 8 is a pretty fantastic tier for heavy tanks across the board, if it weren't for the ****ty matchmaker.  I can't think of one off the top of my head that's outright bad.  T32, IS-3, KV-4, VK A, Tiger II, AMX 50 100, 110.  The only two on that list I wouldn't consider outright good heavy tanks are the VK A and maybe the 110 because I don't have much experience with it.

The VK 4502 A is, however, one of the best tier 8 medium tanks in the game.

I don't particularly like the VK 4502 A as a heavy tank.  It's not a very good tier 8 heavy, though to be fair tier 8 is a pretty fantastic tier for heavy tanks across the board, if it weren't for the ****ty matchmaker.  I can't think of one off the top of my head that's outright bad.  T32, IS-3, KV-4, VK A, Tiger II, AMX 50 100, 110.  The only two on that list I wouldn't consider outright good heavy tanks are the VK A and maybe the 110 because I don't have much experience with it.

The VK 4502 A is, however, one of the best tier 8 medium tanks in the game.

That's an interesting way to look at it.

On the subject of the 110, I'm looking forward to having it once I unlock it with my IS-2. It's top gun is very good, and the frontal armor is better than the IS-3. (especially the upgraded turret)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I went through the T-28 when it still had an 85mm gun, and the combination of speed and that gun was somewhat broken. Now, well, you're a sport tank and add some DPM.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I remember when the SU-85 got a 107 mm.  That was some fun times.  Not really.

I'm replaying the Mass Effect trilogy. Currently on Mass Effect 2.

Also Derelict.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Borderlands 2.  So much looting.  So many achievements (done RIGHT - in-game with actual benefits and mostly fun to chase).

So addicted.  *checks steam*  56 hours already holy hell.  I just started playing like a week ago.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I crashed two planets into another planet, the enemy survived. Did not compute. Turns out I shot the wrong planet.
Succeeded at making two worlds get into an orbital collision after fornicating with their orbits. Enemy lived.
Surrendered after playing that match for three hours. Enemy was hiding under my nose where all I had to do was drop a nuke. (ಠ ʖ̯ ಠ)

PS Planetary Annihilation has best soundtrack.

PPS When is the Star Wars mod happening ffs. :hopping:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Okay JagdPanther is pretty sweet.  Grinding out the Pak 43 L/71 on the Nashorn first?  Best decision ever.  Even with everything else stock but the Long 88 this thing is such a beast.  Granted the extra traverse from the upgraded suspension will be a major bonus, but man the Pak 43 just sings on this rig.  Even though its not ironclad I had to go assault gun mode in Siegrfried and still bullied the crap out of two Tier 6 heavies at the same time.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Okay JagdPanther is pretty sweet.  Grinding out the Pak 43 L/71 on the Nashorn first?  Best decision ever.  Even with everything else stock but the Long 88 this thing is such a beast.  Granted the extra traverse from the upgraded suspension will be a major bonus, but man the Pak 43 just sings on this rig.  Even though its not ironclad I had to go assault gun mode in Siegrfried and still bullied the crap out of two Tier 6 heavies at the same time.

Ah. I've got my JPanther elited, and I've been working on unlocking the JPanther II.
Here's hoping that it will be as fun.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. Was also playing Oracle of Ages (I just hate the Goron Dance part, where the timing window's not nice, and you have to do a particular one to get a Mermaid Key).

Also, Secret of Mana (made it to the last part, but bah, I have to grind the Dryad's Wall Magic).
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Hunting vault symbols is going to make me insane.  Also I have no idea what I'm even looking for/what the hell they mean with some of the other badass achievements.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
[continuation on my ramblings about Knights of the Old Republic]

Like I said, I loved the first KOTOR game. So a couple days ago, I did the logical thing: buy the sequel. After -7hrs of gameplay, (enough to get me to Citadel Station and get out of the whole investigation fiasco), I was a little disappointed. The story was somewhat difficult to track, the whole Peragus sequence was confusing and repetitive (go to new section of mine, find nothing useful, solve a puzzle to get back to administration level, repeat til the game decides it's been long enough and send in the Harbinger). There were annoying bloopers that weren't in the first game- animation issues, missing voice files, and occasional non sequiturs in the dialogue (or maybe Kreia is supposed to act that way?). It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as well polished as the first game. I found myself thinking, "What happened? Was this game rushed?"

Search internet. Discover that...
A.) That game was rushed. With a one-year dev cycle, Obsidian cut a huge amount of perfectly good stuff out just cause they didn't have enough time, and unfortunately left some bloopers behind.
B.) However, Obsidian was kind enough to leave the unused assets- most of em at least- on-disk (or download, or whatever). Seriously, KOTOR II is in the running for most cut content in gaming history, including huge amounts of dialogue (including voice files), numerous environments, numerous weapons, numerous NPCs, dozens of quests, a whole planet, and, get this, the ACTUAL ENDINGS (as opposed to what I've now been told is a somewhat unsatisfying abrupt ending in the existing version).
C.) To put the candle on the cake, two years ago a mod called The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod was released. Basically, it takes that huge volume of stuff that got cut, fixes it up, and puts it back in the game (except the missing planet, which is restored in a compatible mod made by some of the same modders- the two mods are often bundled together). According to it's overwhelmingly positive Moddb reviews, TSLRCM practically doubles the length of the game, fleshes out the story a lot more, fixes weird dialogue and animation problems, and generally makes KOTOR II into the game it was supposed to be.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

So I chalked up my current playthrough as a demo, and installed the mod. The moddb site includes an impressive 38 addons, about half of which I installed- the Extended Enclave Sequence, which seems like something that should be part of the parent mod, and a handful of little cosmetic improvements and make-unused-item-a-drop minimods that I liked the sound of (I threw in the Admiralty mod mainly cause the front before-and-after picture made me laugh- Carth likes his new uniform :P )

Started new playthrough, just finished the Prologue (which was just a drop more interesting with some extra dialogue thrown in). Anticipation is high.
:yes2::D:yes:
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

I didn't know the KOTOR II's restoration mod was finished.
I'll have to look into that...

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I didn't know the KOTOR II's restoration mod was finished.
I'll have to look into that...

It's finished all right, and seems to be working fine so far, although I'm still in the early stages of Peragus so the restored content hasn't made that much difference so far. Moddb made it tenth in it's top ten mods this year.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Missing audio and character animation glitches would certainly make Peragus less fun.  However, the appeal of Peragus isn't in the character animations or even in the gameplay of it.  It's a goddamn murder mystery in a Star Wars setting, which makes it automatically awesome.  However, if you want a brief synopsis of what happened at Peragus if you're confused:

Spoiler:
You were aboard the Harbinger as a passenger.  During the transit, the HK 'protocol' droid discovered there was a bounty on your head and drugged you into unconsciousness.  The ship responds to a distress signal from the Ebon Hawk, which claims it is under attack from a Sith warship.  The Harbinger arrives on scene to find no survivors on either vessel.  Darth Sion (and potentially Kreia, who could have quite honestly come from the Sith warship) is among the 'dead' recovered, but dozens of cloaked sith assassins also board the Harbinger undetected.  Hours or days later, Sion awakes and escapes the medbay, and the sith take control of the ship.  During the commotion, T3 and Kreia locate and rescue you and escape in the Ebon Hawk.  The sith now in control of the ship open fire as the Hawk jumps to hyperspace, and the ship is crippled, drifting outside of Peragus orbit when it exits.

Then the tutorial happens.  HK is revealed to have stowed away on the ship.  T3 manages to guide the ship to Peragus.

The miners on Peragus quickly discover that you used to be a jedi, and there is a bounty on your head (thanks to HK).  Coorta tries to stage a coup, while HK plays both sides against the middle to kill every living miner on the station (including some while you're actually awake and walking around).  You wake up, and run around putting the pieces together.  The Harbinger takes some time to track your course (or is just slower, or both), and arrives at Peragus.  You use the Harbinger to circumvent the isolated sections of the facility, confronting HK in the process.  Darth Sion, who is revealed to have some connection with Kreia, confronts her as you escape.

You fight your way to the Ebon Hawk, fighting off droids and sith as you go (the soldiers should probably have been assassins, but whatever).  You escape, and make for Telos with the Harbinger in hot pursuit.  Either you or the Harbinger target the asteroids and destroy Peragus.

Make sense now?

EDIT: Kreia is a lying ***** and yes she's supposed to act that way.  She actually lies to you to your face twice just on the trip to Telos.  I'll let you try to figure out where.

Yeah the start of KOTOR 2 was pretty good. The atmosphere had me creeped out almost all the time on Peragus.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Missing audio and character animation glitches would certainly make Peragus less fun.  However, the appeal of Peragus isn't in the character animations or even in the gameplay of it.  It's a goddamn murder mystery in a Star Wars setting, which makes it automatically awesome.  However, if you want a brief synopsis of what happened at Peragus if you're confused:

EDIT: Kreia is a lying ***** and yes she's supposed to act that way.  She actually lies to you to your face twice just on the trip to Telos.  I'll let you try to figure out where.

Oh, the Atmosphere at Peragus was well done, as was the mystery aspect- I actually created and discarded three different theories before figuring it out. It didn't help that I mistook the HK unit for his illustrious predecessor. What bothered me was the gameplay aspect of the level design; it felt a little too repetitive, I often wasn't sure why I was going to a new mine section (other than "maybe I'll find something that'll get us outa here", which I never actually did) and the time-spent to stuff-happening ratio was slow until the Harbinger arrived. Like I said, not not terrible by any means, but room for improvement.

Whatever Kreia is, I decided pretty quick that she isn't trustworthy.

Oh, the Atmosphere at Peragus was well done, as was the mystery aspect- I actually created and discarded three different theories before figuring it out. It didn't help that I mistook the HK unit for his illustrious predecessor. What bothered me was the gameplay aspect of the level design; it felt a little too repetitive, I often wasn't sure why I was going to a new mine section (other than "maybe I'll find something that'll get us outa here", which I never actually did) and the time-spent to stuff-happening ratio was slow until the Harbinger arrived. Like I said, not not terrible by any means, but room for improvement.

Whatever Kreia is, I decided pretty quick that she isn't trustworthy.

Yeah, I also thought that HK was the original unit, really made me hesitant to fight him. "Don't make me fight you HK  :shaking:".

I have to agree with the repetitive nature of the starting area made it very boring, when you see one mine you see all of 'em.

I didn't really see her as untrustworthy until the (You do go to the academy on Korriban right?) Korriban academy, which although the memories are pretty hazy  on what tipped me off, but the indication that she wasnt any old lady or jedi was apparent from the start though, I just really wanted to know what was up with her.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In other news, Lucasarts Round Two is out on GoG.

Notable inclusions:
X-Wing Alliance, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and expansion, Dark Forces, Galatic Battlegrounds Saga, Battlefront II, KOTOR II.

All with widescreen support and made to work on modern computers.

Have fun folks.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story