Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621739 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: What are you playing right now?
No.  US BBs aren't in yet.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
My best game last night was a Tier III-V match with my Isokaze.   Started out pretty good screening one of the flanks, had some good hits with my fish and put in an occasional salvo for good measure.  We cleaned up on the flank and I started moving to support the center when I notice the OpFor BBs had managed to corner our flattops.  I came about and rang up flank but even at 35kts knew I wasn't going to arrive in time to save them.  I sail around the island to find two Kongos, one of the IV BBs and a cruiser feasting on our bird farms.   The flight groups are putting up a fight but the flattops are on their last legs.   
The BBs are all tightly grouped, slowed for the easy kills and zoned in, absolutely beautiful.  I closed into just outiside optimal torpedo distance and launch a spread and since they are so busy I get another spread in for good measure.  They don't notice me until the first set of fish hit, most of the torps are strike but the spread is wide enough that they are all taking damage.  They open up on me, a take a salvo but I've already popped smoke and heading back around the island at flank.  I think the second spread managed to claim one of the Kongos, nevertheless, they are all ticked and give chase. They go around the other side of the island which allows me to prep one more spread of fish so that when they come around the other side the torps are right in their midst.   This spread takes out the second Kongo and leaves the IV BB in a real bad way just in time for the rest of our Task Group to come in guns blazing.

11 hits from my fish, bagged two BBs and a boat load of XP, I was pretty stoked.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

What.
Maybe I'm biased, but those seem like one of the first things that should be added...

Also-
*opens email*
*sees message from World of Warships*
*excited*
*opens the message*
*sees this:*
"Wargaming is happy to announce that World of Warships has now entered Closed Beta!

Now is your chance to play the game and give invaluable feedback on how we can improve it as we sail closer to launch. Don't miss this amazing opportunity!

Click below to apply. Keep an eye out for an email in the next few weeks, which will arrive if you've been accepted as a Closed Beta tester."

I already applied, WG.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
just been watching QuickyBaby's stream and as an alpha player he has been rewarded with a prem cruiser with a camo texture
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

11 hits from my fish, bagged two BBs and a boat load of XP, I was pretty stoked.

*slow clap* That was awesomely written.

What.
Maybe I'm biased, but those seem like one of the first things that should be added...

Eh, why? I would think that the role that US Battleships played during WW2 was relatively minor, given the country's late entry into the war and the decimation of their pacfic BB fleet when they were forcibly brought into the conflict. Though given it's a game, who knows what they'll put in there. The british tanks were some of the last they added to world of tanks despite their involvement prior to both the russians and americans.

Eh, why? I would think that the role that US Battleships played during WW2 was relatively minor, given the country's late entry into the war and the decimation of their pacfic BB fleet when they were forcibly brought into the conflict. Though given it's a game, who knows what they'll put in there. The british tanks were some of the last they added to world of tanks despite their involvement prior to both the russians and americans.

Because in all the ships in existence, American Battleships are the most well-known, second to the Japanese, aren't they?
Check the official poll; Battleships in general were the number one most anticipated ship platform that people wanted to sail.

(generally, only military history buffs even know that battleships aren't that effective in the real world...)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
So far for the heavies you have the Jap Battleships and the US Carriers with for the WWII era are the ships the nations were most famous for, Japan for ships like the Yamato and America for its carrier based victories like Midway

Also this is still Beta and it gives them chance to test the technologies without having to put full tech trees in
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Made it to the first rung on the real IJN CAs, the Aoba class.  She's a trim little ship.

No more pop gun CLs for me :)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Nice!  I've got myself an Omaha I need to try out in earnest.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I sure couldn't do that with my mid low tier IJN DDs, maybe once every a planetary alignment are my deck guns actually on target.  Otherwise they while away their time traversing at the speed of meh.  Good thing IJN DDs are good stealthy torpedo platforms cause I love the "Torps OP pleez nerf "QQ.

It gets worse. Shimakaze has 40sec turret rotation. They tried to make the IJN line distinct from the USN one by nerfing their guns into the ground; the general consensus is this went very badly.

just been watching QuickyBaby's stream and as an alpha player he has been rewarded with a prem cruiser with a camo texture

Iwaki Alpha is hilarious. People lose their minds shooting at you, and it's the only cruiser that can pop smoke. It's the second-largest destroyer in the game. (First is the Phoenix, which can't pop smoke but is silly undergunned.)

Nice!  I've got myself an Omaha I need to try out in earnest.

Omaha and Cleveland are the reward you get for having to play Phoenix, kind of like how Saint Louis is your reward for having to play Chester.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The Omaha is made of orgasms and chocolate.

EDIT: 73k damage game.  Topped the charts on both sides in the last three games (two wins, one loss) in exp.  This thing is ****ing awesome.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:36:24 am by Scotty »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Myogi game.

"Time to play Worst Battleship again!" The Myogi, previously known as Masamune (before we set Wargaming on fire for failing to follow proper battleship naming for Japan; then it was known as something else for awhile before we got the current name), combines high speed with poor rudder response for an experience that's sure to run you aground. Combine this with only three turrets of two guns and it's pretty easy to see why the B-40 and B-41 designs it's based on were rejected in favor of contracting Vickers to design the Kongo.

Still, they are 14" guns. You can outrange a fair number of things in low tiers with that, and play Yakety Sax at your unfortunate opponents while you lob 14" HE over the stern from two turrets and make with the classic naval maneuver at 31 knots.

This is not a low-tier match. Initial opposition on my flank consists of a Clevelands, two Nicholas (Destroyer Leader 1919 project), and a Kongo. To assist, I have a single Kuma. My initial salvos are direct at a Nicholas who's getting too frisky, and my initial maneuvers are to keep long-range torpedo salvos from killing me. The Kuma, with his more rapid-fire guns, is a godsend for holding the destroyers at bay. He kills one of the Nicholas before the Kongo emerges from behind an island and takes him by surprise; he gets off one of his torp launchers before eating a full salvo of 14" HE.

I have no idea where the second Nicholas has gotten to, and I'm reloading AP after firing a salvo at the Cleveland just to assure him he's not being ignored. Fortunately his salvos are very poorly aimed or I'm pretty sure he'd have buried me by that point. At this stage the friendly carriers choose to intervening, dispatching a suicidal wave of torpedo aircraft to go after the Cleveland.  Considering they're Tier IV T4Ms, they're mostly executed by the Cleveland's AA.

I target the Kongo, pretty sure I'm going to lose this fight as his turrets turn towards me, and let fly with six 14" AP rounds.

One round goes into the roof of each of his forward turrets at a nearly vertical angle.

The Kongo blows up.

I sit, staring in confusion, for a few moments, before it sinks in I just blasted his forward magazines. Then I retarget on the Cleveland and get a few good hits with an AP salvo, causing him to turn away and make with the classic naval maneuver. A hostile Fuso emerges from the smokescreen set by what I assume is that missing Nicholas. If the Kongo was better than a Myogi in every way, the Fuso is slower, but it's still more responsive to rudder commands than I am and he has six twin 14" to my three. A friendly Fuso has also appeared.

The friendly Fuso immediately blows apart when fired at, also magazine hit. My first salvo goes out, with four shells clustering around the base of the enemy Fuso's stack. His stack immediately starts emitting flames; he's engine-hit. His return salvo causes two different fires, knocks out my forward turret permanently and wrecks my steering gear, and takes off about half my health. Rapid application of damage-control extingushes the flames and gets the rudder working again as I desperately come about to reduce my target area by putting my stern to him.

Another four 14" AP go out. With laserlike precision, all four go into the Fuso's forward amidships turret; mount Q, in the Royal Navy parlance. Two strike the turret face that I can see; two others seem to go further back, though I'm not sure. The ribbons pop up, informing me what just happened: critical hit, four citadel hits; maximum damage each. The Fuso snaps in half as his amidships magazines detonate.

I am never calling the Myogi "Worst Battleship" again.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Meanwhile, in the World of Warships Beta Test, Kantai Collection collides violently with the unknowing.

A Feddie Story

I must have went cross-eyed when I missed every single code released on WG's twitter a while ago.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It gets worse. Shimakaze has 40sec turret rotation. They tried to make the IJN line distinct from the USN one by nerfing their guns into the ground; the general consensus is this went very badly.

Yeah the way they are now I'd rather they just take them off and give me the weight savings in kts.  Looking at the gun handling I assume that's why the Akizuki class hasn't made an appearance, I was expecting to see them at Tier X.

Omaha and Cleveland are the reward you get for having to play Phoenix, kind of like how Saint Louis is your reward for having to play Chester.

It's kind of weird seeing the Cleveland come before Treaty Cruisers.  I know its a CL but its still funny seeing a New Orleans descendant two tiers before New Orleans herself.  I'm hoping the Brooklyn/St. Louis class to make an appearance in the future.  I want the whole Neptune's Inferno set.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
To be honest, they've actually nerfed Cleveland into the ground from her historical stats, mainly in gun rate of fire, or she'd be wrecking Pensacolas all day every day. WG was talking about putting her at Tier 7 and undoing some of the nerfs for a long time. Fully unnerfed and spewing 1200 rounds a match without much effort, she'd easily qualify for Tier 8.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Yeah, from all accounts a Brooklyn with her five MK 16s going at full tilt was a sight and sound to behold, until you went blind and deaf fro the spectacle.  I took a look at the RoF of the Cleveland in the tech tree earlier and was unpleasantly surprised.

There seems to be a lot of crying from terribad BB drivers on the forums, I hope the devs don't screw with the torps to much.  They and the Tin Cans are probably one of the most demanding and satisfying weapons in game. 

Because in all the ships in existence, American Battleships are the most well-known, second to the Japanese, aren't they?

Well known to who? In terms of pure warship action I would venture that Hood and Bismark are the most famous ships of the entire war.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Enterprise.