Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621673 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: What are you playing right now?
What ever happend with Leviathans?
It sounded so interesting, my game group played a couple games I couldn't attend, then it just seemed to dissapear.

Catalyst had a spectacular problem with the miniatures manufacturer.  The (Chinese) manufacturer went bankrupt halfway through the first production run, and then sold Catalyst the completed sets at retail to recoup losses.  They also dodged giving back the masters and molds, on account of bankruptcy.

As of right this moment, Catalyst is pursuing miniatures for Shadowrun.  If those do well (and there's reason to expect they will), then Leviathans may see a second effort.
Well bollocks

Leviathans.
Now I am jelly

Speaking of miniatures.  I have been considering snagging up all the lance packs.  I got the Anniversary boxed set, and the minis in there are terrible, I am to understand that the new plastic minis are pretty good and the lance packs contain some of whats in the box set and some new ones, so i can replace my bad miniatures and fill up the empty foam in my BT minis bag.

Transistor.
Good choice.

I decided to play a bit of Invisible Inc.  I did that early access way back when before the name change, but hadn't played it in a couple months.

The Lance packs and new box set (not the 25th anniversary) are really, really good plastic.  I swear by them.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
My BattleTech group has decided the only answer is mass insanity again.

After working out the total number of our available models comes in at about two reinforced regimental combat teams and a Clan Galaxy, we've decided the obvious thing is to use them all.

Next weekend, 8AM. We're using at least half of someone's backyard to get the space we need.

This will be the second multi-regimental game I've played in, and the first one was smaller.

Post game battle report with pictures?  maybe?  :nod:

Soooo... 

how did the big backyard battle go?  Please share the awesome don't horde it :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's still going? We had to postpone due to weather.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Dropships on the field. The Galaxy is attempting to retreat. We just had a Union-C get blown up by artillery fire though. Another couple of hours at most.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
A brief Binder of Shame for this event.

Alpha Strike Trinary, 71st Provisional Garrison Cluster: dishonorable mention for getting curb-stomped in one turn by 3rd Company, 4th Battalion, 'Mech Regiment, Pesht Armored Cavalry despite outmassing them by over two hundred tons. Triple Engine TACs and headshots everywhere.

1st Battalion, Royal Skye Armored Regiment: dishonorable mention for being summarily wiped out by Supernova Binary Gamma, 3rd Bear Dragoons, without getting a single kill. Even an Elemental. The Demolisher 2s of First Company in particular should hang their head in shame.

Gamma Assault Binary, 71st Provisional Garrison Cluster, dishonorable mention for choosing to abandon zellbrigen despite the willingness of their opponents in 2nd Company, 1st Battalion, 'Mech Regiment, Pesht Armored Cavalry, to challenge them in Clan fashion and engage in honorable combat. This precipitated the Inner Sphere forces to use their aerospace and artillery arms to maximum effect, and forced a WarShip combat in orbit (on the kitchen table).

Star Colonel Sven Kotare, 71st Provisional Garrison Cluster (our local THAT GUY), wins the grand prize, for his flagrant breaches of Clan doctrine and honor. This caused Galaxy Commander Jessica Kabrinski (or rather the person playing Clan Commander) to challenge him to an immediate Trial of Grievance while the battle (the game) was ongoing and kill him for his behavior.

A Feddie Story

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Alpha Strike Trinary, 71st Provisional Garrison Cluster: dishonorable mention for getting curb-stomped in one turn by 3rd Company, 4th Battalion, 'Mech Regiment, Pesht Armored Cavalry despite outmassing them by over two hundred tons. Triple Engine TACs and headshots everywhere.

1st Battalion, Royal Skye Armored Regiment: dishonorable mention for being summarily wiped out by Supernova Binary Gamma, 3rd Bear Dragoons, without getting a single kill. Even an Elemental. The Demolisher 2s of First Company in particular should hang their head in shame.

Gamma Assault Binary, 71st Provisional Garrison Cluster, dishonorable mention for choosing to abandon zellbrigen despite the willingness of their opponents in 2nd Company, 1st Battalion, 'Mech Regiment, Pesht Armored Cavalry, to challenge them in Clan fashion and engage in honorable combat. This precipitated the Inner Sphere forces to use their aerospace and artillery arms to maximum effect, and forced a WarShip combat in orbit (on the kitchen table).

Star Colonel Sven Kotare, 71st Provisional Garrison Cluster (our local THAT GUY), wins the grand prize, for his flagrant breaches of Clan doctrine and honor. This caused Galaxy Commander Jessica Kabrinski (or rather the person playing Clan Commander) to challenge him to an immediate Trial of Grievance while the battle (the game) was ongoing and kill him for his behavior.
This battle sounds like it would make one hell of a story.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
The Lance packs and new box set (not the 25th anniversary) are really, really good plastic.  I swear by them.
So I hear.  That's why I was thinking of grabbing all the lance packs to replace the plastic minis I have now.  Probably not the boxed set, though, as I don't know if I need all the duplicate other stuff (my bag only holds 4 maps, and I also have 2 hex packs, and I don't need the rules and sheets again).  I've been hearing rumors about an Alpha Strike Box though.

HOLY CRAP.  You also started a space battle?  I can't even get my group to do fighters using the abstract rules.

Do you post on the BT forums?  This would make an epic after action report.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I will try to have a battle report up sometime tonight. I wanted to take pictures, but, well, there's a few reasons I will consistently refer to one player as THAT GUY, and one of them is his insistence I couldn't photograph him or any of his models. Considering he contributed nearly a whole Cluster, it was hard to keep them both out of the shot, so I eventually gave up. I'll take pictures of the battlefield, though, we'll need them for a reference.

For now, background and the TO&E of the groundside battle; I'll ask Ally about the space stuff later if she remembers.

In the alternate universe of our FLGS, the FedCom Civil War never happened, and the Star League never disbanded. The trigger for Jihad has not yet occurred as such. The Word of Blake's control of the Chaos March is being actively contested by a more militant ComStar, however, and it's probably inevitable.

And the Free Rasalhague Republic, three months ago, invited Clan Ghost Bear to talks regarding the Ghost Bear Dominion. Talks broke down quickly, and the Free Rasalhague Republic unexpectedly made an appeal to the Grand Council of the Clans, attacking the Ghost Bears as perverters of the Warden philosophy; in deciding to stay and rule, they are Crusaders masquerading as Wardens. This appeal successfully isolated the Ghost Bears from many of the other Clans, Crusader and Warden.

That done, the Star League initiated War Plan 23: the annihilation of Clan Ghost Bear and the liberation of those Draconis Combine and Free Rasalhague Republic worlds it holds.

For ease of play we broke up things so that specific sub-units had their own player commanders, one of whom was also the nominal commander of either a regiment or cluster-sized unit, and each side also had an overall commander. We did not use the Alpha Strike rules, because we're beardy assholes who mostly predate them. Also completely insane. Movement and firing was done not by player but by side (so everybody on one side does their moving and shooting all together), and it was encouraged, though not made explicit, to focus on the player opposite you to prevent confusion. It was also encouraged that the player point out their command unit; we had plans to incorporate that somehow but they got dropped.

Artillery and Aerospace assets were the personal shotguns of regimental or side commanders, and under the rules in effect initially not used. The only flying units on the field to start were the rotary-winged aircraft, and the only ones that participated in combat from the start where the gunship/transporters of the one airmobile infantry regiment. When melee broke out, though, the attack helos and ASFs moved in.

Task Force Iron, representing the Star League and the Outworlds Alliance

Pesht Armored Cavalry Regimental Combat Team (split into variable-strength combat commands between four people for the purposes of the scenario; yours truly as the regimental commander, since they were my models)
'Mech Regiment, 4 Battalions
Heavy Armored Regiment, 4 Battalions
Three Mechanized Infantry Regiments (2 Battalions infantry, 1 Battalion Battle Armor each)
1 Battalion ASF

Royal Skye Armored Regiment (split into two combat commands for the scenario; brigaded with the Outworlds Foreign Legion as a "regiment")
1 Heavy Armored Regiment, 3 Battalions
1 Scout Armor Battalion

The Outworlds Foreign Legion (split into two combat commands for the scenario, donated their third armor battalion to the Com Guards; their artillery regiment was the side commander's personal shotgun)
2 'Mech Battalions
1 Light Armored Regiment, 3 Battalions
1 Reinforced Artillery Regiment, 5 Battalions
1 Battalion ASFs

The Flameseekers  (unitary command for the scenario; brigaded with the BLTs from the 1st Davion Guards and 3rd Saint Ives Lancers as a "regiment")
2 'Mech Companies (pretty much all heavy or assault class)
2 Battalions medium armor
2 Companies rotary-wing attack aircraft

Battalion Landing Team, 1st Davion Guards (unitary command for the scenario; by far the best-looking unit on the field in their Blue and Gold designs as seen in MechCommander)
1 'Mech Battalion
1 Reinforced Battle Armor Battalion (4 Companies)

Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Saint Ives Lancers (unitary command for the scenario)
1 'Mech Battalion
1 Battle Armor Battalion
1 VTOL Gunship/Transport Battalion

Carver Commandos (unitary for the scenario, though they donated a battalion of airmobile infantry to the Com Guards; brigaded with the Fighting Uruk-Hai and Focht's Own as a "regiment")
1 'Mech Company
1 Regiment airmobile infantry, 3 Battalions
1 Battalion fixed-wing attack aircraft (Mechbuster Fighters with XL engines and Arrow IV launchers rather than AC-20s; at the end of the game they were duking it out with the Clan evac DropShips and winning.)

First Battalion, Fighting Uruk-Hai (unitary for the scenario)
1 'Mech Battalion

Com Guards 181st Division VII Delta "Focht's Own" (with an attached armor and airmobile battalion; a unitary command)
2 'Mech Level 2s

Omega Galaxy, representing Clan Ghost Bear

A notation on nomenclature: Clan units are classified by weight and combat role. A "Strike" unit consists of faster medium and heavy 'Mechs intended to punch a hole in an enemy line; a "Combat" unit consists of medium and heavy 'Mechs and does what is says on the tin; a "Scout" unit is light and medium fast 'Mechs and also does what it says on the tin; an "Assault" unit is heavy and assault 'Mechs. "Supernova" indicates the unit is paired with an Elemental unit of equivalent size. You'll notice that some binaries and trinaries are not marked as any particular sort. This indicates they are not biased towards a particular role, but instead have internally a scout, combat, and assault star; a binary omits either the scout or assault star.

Omega Command Binary

71st Provisional Garrison Cluster (Was not split into combat commands at the insistence it could be handled by the one person, who quickly turned into the game's THAT GUY)
1 Strike Trinary (NOT Second-Line)
2 Combat Trinaries (Second-Line)
1 Assault Trinary (Second-Line)
1 Heavy Vehicle Trinary
2 Support Vehicle Trinaries (mostly Arrow-IV tanks, so attached to Omega Command)
2 Aerospace Trinaries (Second-Line)
4 Elemental Trinaries

3rd Bear Dragoons "The Immortals" (split into two combat commands)
1 Supernova Assault Binary
2 Supernova Trinaries
1 Supernova Scout Binary
2 Trinaries
1 Strike Trinary (See this? Iota Strike Trinary was all Mad Cat Ds. ****ing terrifying!)
1 Scout Trinary
1 Aerospace Trinary

5th Bear Guards "Avalanche"  (split into two combat commands)
1 Supernova Trinary
1 Supernova Scout Trinary
2 Supernova Strike Trinaries
1 Assault Trinary
1 Trinary
1 Combat Binary (Second-Line)
2 Scout Trinary (Second Line)
2 Aerospace Trinaries
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:18:45 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Alpha Strike is great even for the old grognards in my group.  I suggest, at the very least, giving it a shot.

Offline BirdofPrey

If only getting the grognards to try it were that easy.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Alpha Strike is great even for the old grognards in my group.  I suggest, at the very least, giving it a shot.

It's how most people normally play, but we almost never use it for big events things.

A Feddie Story

Offline BirdofPrey

So just spent several hours trying to figure out one of the new Drifter sites/systems.
I think I'm going to go to sleep now.  Wake me up thursday

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I will try to have a battle report up sometime tonight. I wanted to take pictures, but, well, there's a few reasons I will consistently refer to one player as THAT GUY, and one of them is his insistence I couldn't photograph him or any of his models. Considering he contributed nearly a whole Cluster, it was hard to keep them both out of the shot, so I eventually gave up. I'll take pictures of the battlefield, though, we'll need them for a reference.

:blah:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hey, folks who like BattleTech.  Please allow me to be likely the first to assure you that there are new BattleTech novels in the pipe, straight from the source (Randall).

Offline BirdofPrey

Novels?  ya don't say.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Huh.

Speaking of BattleTech, I'm doing MechCommander 2 again. I learned my lesson: Never think you can have Mediums take a Zeus head-on unless you have AC/20s or Swarm LRMs.

Also doing a bit of Left 4 Dead 2 (with my character models being the Futurama crew).
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Vrets

Nothing, but I'm taking a four day vacation when I graduate. This is my chance to catch up on all the games that I've missed! My list of games includes:

• All the Fs2 campaigns that were released during my latest 2-year absence
  • X-Com
  • Alien Isolation...actually finishing it, that is
  • ...um...suggestions?

World of Warships looks cool, but all these college group projects have ruined me for cooperating with unmotivated strangers on the internet

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Find a group of people and force them to play BattleTech until Stockholm Syndrome sets in they learn they like it.

Offline BirdofPrey

How big is your demo group anyways Scotty?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Roughly a dozen people.