Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 622088 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: What are you playing right now?
I just finished Broken Age and Red Faction Armageddon. The former is good, but not great. Excellent art style and humor, but the game tends to alternate between a good story (first act) and good puzzles (second act), and has a limited number of areas to explore. I thought the story could have been much better at the halfway point, when it wasn't clear if either character's world was real.

Armageddon was surprisingly good. It's a generic shooter but does that very well. The physics are fantastic and I like how you can rebuild anything you destroy, which gives an incentive to destroy more stuff. I haven't played the previous RF games but want to try them now, especially Guerrilla.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Guerillowns.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The original is decent enough if you view it as a product of its time, i.e. something trying very hard to be Half-Life.  The second is...well, "mediocre" might be giving it too much praise.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
While providing lots of open world geomod driven mayhem, Guerrilla has such goddamn depressing atmosphere, and for no reason, that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I'd like.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

While providing lots of open world geomod driven mayhem, Guerrilla has such goddamn depressing atmosphere, and for no reason, that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I'd like.
Really? I didn't exactly get much emotional response for Guerilla's atmosphere, although that might have been due to the fact that the game was ****ing stuck on french (as in, both Steam and my system's language were set to english, but nooo, you shall get french crap-acting anyway!), kindly reminding me why I avoid french-translated media like the plague.

Aside from that, I though the game was quite well put together, and I shall forever nickname it "Moving Forward" or "Moving in a straight line" due to the algorithm you can follow when moving about the world:
1)- Move straight towards destination
2)- If encountering an obstacle
3)-   If the obstacle is a wall or building
4)-     Use hammer
5)-     Go to 1)
6)-   else if the obstacle is a cliff
7)-     Use jetpack
8)-     Go to 1)
9)-   else
10)-   walk in another direction for a while then go to 1)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Despite it not living up to its name (stealthy guerrilla attacks just aren't possible, you WILL get swarmed), RF Guerrilla remains one of the absolute best games in my library.  It's going to get another playthrough here soon.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Playing H.A.W.X. while waiting for the latest AC7 rumor to sink or swim. Hawx is good, it's just not Ace Combat good.

Seriously, Hawx game mechanics are basically Ace Combat game mechanics with two additions: Enhanced Reality System (ERS) and Assistance Off (or OFF Mode), both of which actually contribute something fun. (Hawx mission design is somewhat less AC-ish, but that's another matter). A big part of me wishes that when Project Aces wanted "new mechanics" for Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, they had been the ones to come up with ERS and OFF, while Ubisoft had come up with Dogfight Mode and Airstrike Mode for Hawx instead. Assault Horizon would only have been 50% of the failure it is, PA would be a lot richer, and we might be seeing a real AC7 instead of the series going free-to-play. Although that would mean Hawx would be crap.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Despite it not living up to its name (stealthy guerrilla attacks just aren't possible, you WILL get swarmed), RF Guerrilla remains one of the absolute best games in my library.  It's going to get another playthrough here soon.

You can pull off true gue guerillattacks by going all Iraq and driving truck bombs into barracks or rigging big **** to fall over. You've just got to bail really quick, because like you said the EDF responds pretty fast. It's kind of a cool dynamic, having to consider your escape route.

I also loved sniping the stabilizers off the EDF gunships.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I always wanted to be able to sneak into a target, plant charges to bring something big down, and sneak back out before blowing it.  That was never possible.  At least not on any major targets.  I'd spend like an hour scouting and planning an attack, finding all the seemingly stealth cues (holes in the fence and whatnot), and it still never mattered.  10 feet inside, spotted.  10 seconds later, massive swarm.  Forget the planned escape route, it was find a vehicle or die instantly.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Sneaking into hugely guarded installations without any kind of backup or chaos is, indeed, not a good plan. It's a good game for guerrilla **** but a bad game for sabotage.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I prefer the score attack round myself.

Buuuuuuut mostly playing vega conflict on my phone.

Absolutely no plot,  but I somehow found myself addicted to 2D space Homeworld meets clash of clans.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The second quest of the original Legend of Zelda, because I'm a masochist.

And then most likely Zelda II, because I'm a huge masochist.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Stuff I've been playing lately:

FTL - Turns out this is every bit as good as everyone says. Much fun has been had, even if only one victory (so far). I love how long you can manage to stave off utter defeat. Even when things look hopeless, you can usually limp a sector or two further than you'd guess. It's a brilliant example of letting things get bad, and then worse, but still giving you a chance to hang on... and maybe, with the right luck, pull off a crazy comeback. My only victorious game so far was one where I ran out of fuel, and had to wait for the rebel fleet to catch me, shoot one down, steal it's fuel, and then run to the next sector. I pulled it off, found/bought enough gas to keep going after that, and went on to eventual victory.
The main frustration I have is how dependent I am on running into stores that sell items I can actually use. It's a real pain to be doing great in terms of making good decisions and winning battles, only to end up losing because there weren't any weapons worth buying in the first five sectors.

The Force Unleashed - Mostly had a lot of fun with this. Turning stormtroopers into lightning bombs and flinging them around is good times, and the story worked better than I thought it would. The boss fights were shockingly bad though.

Force Unleashed II - Pretty disappointing followup. Core game mechanics were somewhat better streamlined but what a stupid story.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Yeah, I hate that when I have a ship that is doing GREAT, but end up at a stalemate because I haven't managed to get any weaponry that can break or bypass 3-4 shield layers.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
The second quest of the original Legend of Zelda, because I'm a masochist.

And then most likely Zelda II, because I'm a huge masochist.

I tried playing the original zelda on my 3DS not long ago.  It has not aged well.  I'm pretty sure I played and beat Zelda on the NES waaaaaaay back when I was a wee lad, but it's not like I remember.  I wonder if either the game I played wasn't the original Zelda (maybe II?), or if my memory is really that faulty. 

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The main issue with it is that you pretty much need at least a map of the overworld to get through it, lest you want to bomb/burn every single tile in order to find certain NPCs and dungeons.  (Hey, they had to keep those issues of Nintendo Power selling somehow!)   The lack of a spin attack also makes certain enemies far more frustrating to fight than they would be otherwise; Darknuts in particular seem to love getting right up in your face whenever you try to sneak in and hit their sides or back.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Darknuts in Zelda II were much more a pain in the arse until I got the downthrust. (Full disclosure: I made it as far as Death Valley and got my arse handily kicked. Not helping is that "saving" adds 1 to the death counter.) Made me forget why I had fun with Wanderers from Ys more.

Anyway, Flight Simulator X (I can't land in the Oakland Coliseum and even then, the diamond isn't even the floor), and Phantasy Star IV. Plus, Tecmo Super Bowl (the 2014-15 season hack, I can't beat the Seahawks as the Falcons in the Divisional Playoffs, gragh!).
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Put in Bo Jackson!

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Oh, Xenonauts. Its January 1st and I'm in a pretty dire position. I made an ill decision to build a new base a month which has proved itself impractical once I reached mere 3 bases. The third one has just received two old Condors since the other two managed to build themselves a corsair each just before I went -300.000$ and lost two continents. I have a full laser/wolf squad, but I doubt I can make it anymore, as hardened enemies seem to require plasma weapons to be handled safely.
So I think I will start over. I think I will change my approach a little. I have now knowledge of how to utilize the classes and all the equipment, so I will try to have a high tech, veteran squad in my main base. The rest of the bases would primarily serve as aircraft outposts, since I realised the difference between recovered equipment and bombing reward isn't all that great compared to the cost of proper equipment in a short run. A small squad equipped with leftovers should work well enough for defence, and if I will be able to shoot down a ship every couple days for every base, they should be able to pay for themselves. Can work. Will try.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Lots of Super Smash Bros. Project M. Gearing up for an out-of-state tournament on Saturday.