Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621922 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What are you playing right now?
My god, a game that came out in 1998 that doesn't support all directX compatible joysticks?
X-wing vs Tie Fighter came out in 1997 and essentially supports any windows controller with an analog stick in it, isn't at least a mod or something out there?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Was that the one with nuclear ordnance that came out around the time voxel delta force did?

Yes.

My god, a game that came out in 1998 that doesn't support all directX compatible joysticks?
X-wing vs Tie Fighter came out in 1997 and essentially supports any windows controller with an analog stick in it, isn't at least a mod or something out there?

Barring some trickery from an EE, I doubt it. My Sidewinder's Gameport-to-USB adapter didn't work for F-22R (like I said, I got it to work for FS2 and Tachyon on Win7).
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've been playing Wing Commander IV.
Is it me or the flying engine in WC3/4 is really coarse?
I often have troubles doing fine adjustments on my aim and sometimes it "jumps back" when I try to pitch up lightly.
At first with WC3 I thought it was the (then new) stick but other games don't have these problems, even WC4 although it's a windows game has the same problems, they added throttle support, which is really nice (going full forward to exit the hangar or pull back to stop on reentry never gets old), but other than that the controls have the same issues I've found in WC3.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I often have troubles doing fine adjustments on my aim and sometimes it "jumps back" when I try to pitch up lightly.

I remember having that problem at the time with WC3. My duel with Flash was significantly more difficult because of it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I've never used a joystick in my life so I can't comment. But I really suck at WC3. I find Flash really challenging does anyone have any tips or advice?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:14:08 am by Mammothtank »

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
BFME2. I really enjoyed the first one, but apparently the 2 is pretty poor. AI is really incompetent at providing a fun experience. I tried playing helms deep, because why else would anyone want to play this game, which is a 3v1 map. If I didn't build units and tried going eco, AI would swarm me, which is fine, but when I prepared units in advance, it just never attacked. Never. After defeating one AI something started happening at last and my unit cap doubled somehow. Also, I tried placing some archers on the walls. Well. They would get into position, then run down the stairs and through the gate, then back up on the walls, then through the gate and down the ramp, then back on the walls... indefinitely. How am I supposed to play this game? It just doesn't seem very compelling at this point.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Gundam Breaker 3 just came in the mail.

Hell. Yes.  :cool:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I remember having that problem at the time with WC3. My duel with Flash was significantly more difficult because of it.

I think I didn't notice the first time I played them (a couple of years ago) only because I still had a cheap stick so I was used to fine aim problems, with the new one I got rapidly used to be able to aim at what I was shooting much more easily in other games and returning to WC3 and 4 has been a bit traumatic.
I've never used a joystick in my life so I can't comment. But I really suck at WC3. I find Flash really challenging does anyone have any tips or advice?

I solved at the time by slamming him with two full salvos of missiles immediately at the start of the duel, of course how repeatable it is is debatable, with my second playthrough I just said "screw it" and lowered the difficulty.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:54:24 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've been playing Wing Commander Prophecy in the last few days, it feels a lot like a prototype for the Freespace series but it's still unmistakably Wing Commander for good or ill (want to manage energy systems during battles while being able to turn around? Of course not!).
The last mission is loooong, I've been killing aliens for I don't know how long then I had the bad idea to go after the towers when the fighters seemed to run out, I'll try again tonight.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Leave the gate to my team. We won't let you down!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Leave the gate to my team. We won't let you down!
Yep, I really should have taken the refuel when it was offered and trusted your team to hold the line instead of trying to do everything myself.  :lol:

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
What the hell am I doing wrong with this mission?
This time I went to the refuel, went then back to the portal with Blair, he docked and after a while of killing enemy fighters I've found myself close to the portal enough to kill a few of the towers at that point everyone eject and I just die, no boom, or anything, I even had all my shields but the game decided that I was dead.  :mad:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Keep at it.
The game will break if you accidentally have infinite health by.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Keep at it.
The game will break if you accidentally have infinite health by.

It seems that I got too close to the portal while knocking down one of the towers and so the game decided that I was dead regardless of the state of my ship, now I made it and I set Secret Ops to download.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:19:11 pm by Det. Bullock »

The last days i started the Armies of Exigo prequel campaign.
Armies of Exigo: The Rage.
In whole 16:9 glory.

Damn, this is somewhat challenging. I get overrun very fast in a couple of minutes after the start of the mission. Maybe i need MUCH MUCH MORE Towers instead of soldiers, to even hold my position.

Also i play Crimson Sea 2 for a few weeks now... this game is very long for a 2004 mission-based third-person shooter with hack & slash elements... i have reached already the 25 hour mark.
But i think it is inferior than the predecessor. The gameplay is better and the overall story seems to be more unpredictable, but it is the only thing CS2 makes better than the first. You fight the same enemies like in the first one. Also you play always six missions on the same map. Because you have to do all the optional side-missions to be strong enough for the story missions, so the story have a very slow narrative pace. I liked the linear story from the first game much better, because the narrative pace was better and you have always a different location and it seems that the mission objectives were more different.
This game is already at least 10 hours too long...
Also i do not like, that you fight the same enemies without no explanation... or to say, nobody in the game matters about that, even that is a complete different race.
Maybe the developer were too lazy or it was too expensive to create something new.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Torchlight. Not the sequel, but the original. With mods.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Naval Action

Rock the Cutter:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
XM800T rallies in AW.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Tabletop Simulator, X-wing module.  Luke just ripped the **** out of a YV-666 and a JumpMaster 5000 pretty much by himself.  It was pretty sweet.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Still playing The Banner Saga ... the Varl are sooo boring to play
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."